Indianapolis HD locals

GB33 said:
Hey Rickaren. i have a quick question. I am in Fishers and am considering leaving DTV for Dish. My question is, between the two HD DVR's you have (lucky dog) which one has the better tuner. The one built into my tv is a first gen (2000) and I have problems with ABC (crazy ticking) and CBS requires seperate rabbit ears. how well are you doing up in Noblesville which isn't too awful far away from me.

Well it is strange but the DirecTV HD Tivo DVR even with two turners does a poor job receiving OTA. The DISH VIP 622 (one OTA turner) does a much better job finding and receiving them. In fact I had to add a booster so the DirecTV DVR could find all the same ones as the 622! I have seen on the Tivo Forum that this is a know fact that it has weak turners.

I am using an outside antenna now that the original VOOM installed free (Channel Master Stealth) that works just great, but before that I used inside antennas that worked pretty good, too. Have had some form of HD for about 4 years I think. Have an E-86 DirecTV HD receiver that worked good reciving OTA if you want to try it and even an antenna. But I had the same issue having to use rabbit ears with it, too. Now just one OTA antenna for both HD DVRs and great HD OTA programing from ALL Indianapolis stations. If I didn't have so much invested in DirecTV receivers (and back-ups) and Tivo units I would have canceled it.

You would be very pleased just going to DISH HD and their VIP 622 DVR with all of their great selection of HD programing and you can send the non HD picture to a second TV from this DVR (something you can not do with the HR10-250) Only problem I see is that you will only be able to record ONE OTA with this DVR (but another two from DISH and still watch something already recorded) This could all change when DISH adds Indianapolis HD locals anytime now. But I suspect the OTA picture will still be better PQ. Good Luck and enjoy.

PS Sorry for such a long reply but as you can tell I'm really passionate about HD viewing and DISH HD.......

rickaren said:
PS Sorry for such a long reply but as you can tell I'm really passionate about HD viewing and DISH HD.......

Hell no man, I love it! I don't want to type forever, but take a look at my situation I posted in both the DTV and dish forums today. My HD tuner is actually a Directv HD tuner with 2 OTA's built into my television (RCA F38310). I have been off today messing with the stuff for last couple of hours. I have been debating on the Stealthtenna as I just assumed it was a gimick and wouldn't work. But nw it appears maybe I wasted my day. Although that is great to hear that you get good results. So I may be heading to Fry's tonight to grab one. I get better results from an old double bow tie radio shack antenna. Currently testing with it sitting ontop of porch roof. But it wasn't made to be outside and has no real way to mount it as it is on legs. Working MUCH better than a yagi 5x it's size. Thanks alot for the reply.

Still no info on Indianapolis HD Locals? It's getting really close to the regular NFL regular season. Does anyone know why the delay? I've heard technical problems, contracting problems, dish problems. Is there a reason or are they just stalling cause they don't want to mess with it?

I've been assuming it was in limbo until they get dishes to those that need them in St Louis and Detroit. Anyone able to give an update on how that's going?

I was told thursday that the indy locals would likely be on the 110 or 129 not the 118.75. That came from a dish tech support rep after being put on hold for an extended period of time. she would not give me a timeframe of when other than fall.

these guys are so full of crap it isn't funny (dish network, not the posters).

i want my indy hd locals.....or....or....i'll continue to wait for them, as i am locked into an 18 month contract.....

munciefan said:
these guys are so full of crap it isn't funny (dish network, not the posters).

i want my indy hd locals.....or....or....i'll continue to wait for them, as i am locked into an 18 month contract.....

This ticks me off that Dish is not giving anyone any information about the Indy locals. We all know they were uplinked. Why can't they give us a tentative date? You know they have a tentative date, if it gets bumped it gets bumped. I would much rather have a date to shoot for rather than the same bull they keep pushing to us about later this fall.

I completely agree; however, it seems that they have given various tentative dates (sometime in july....sometime in august....sometime in the fall.....).

I was supposed to get a 1000+ installed sometime in July...sometime in August...now sometime in the fall as well.....

The customer service (in general not the cs reps, as i don't deal with them) for dish seems to be taking a nose dive on this issue. I hadn't really had any major problems with them before...well except when I upgraded to the 622, and they charged me multiple times for the upgrade and install......but they resolved that to my satisfaction.

This one is starting to, well, anger me. If it wouldn't cost me the remaining months * about 13 buck a month to cancel...I might just hop ship to DirectTV for the NFL package. It's not like voom gives you all that much....RAVE and the occasional entertaining Monster Movie notwithstanding...

I'm also really frustrated with the Indy situation. The fall season is rapidly approaching and I'm really wanting those HD locals. Knowing that they've been uplinked all of this time is aggravating and their inability to provide the plus dishes seems like an avoidable problem. Why not make them available elsewhere and move them later if they want to?

Hmmmm

I wonder if they will make them available at the next charlie chat Sept 11. They have had them uplinked for quite sometime. Tech support told me that Indy locals were the next up, and they would be before Raleigh locals. So I'm just wondering about the next chat because thats when they usually make a bunch of announcements like that.

The promise of Indy's HD locals is one of the main reasons I agreed to sign on to a 18 month commitment with Dish back 8 months ago! I think it's so ridiculous that they can't get their act straight and get the programming they have promised out to their customers or even give us some kind of a realistic idea of when they will. Just saying this fall doesn't tell me anything.

so I missed the steelers miami game in hd......and we will all miss the colts/giants in hd (colts are my #3, behind the steelers and whoever is playing the browns, so technically at times the colts can be #2 and #3).

Still nothing on last night's Charlie Chat about any of the HD locals that were uplinked but not live. Very dissapointing. I didn't even win the stupid Pro Bowl Contest either :) I am excited about other HD possibilities but would just love HD Locals. My Colts game just wasn't as much fun not being in HD Sunday night.

The only thing I can figure is that they just have too many irons in the fire. You can do a couple of things really well or many things half assed.

So anything new on Indy HD Locals? Anyone? Anyone? Probably a dumb question cause if so you would have posted it. :) Dish hasn't made any announcements on anything new lately.

Received this e-mail on the 30th of October:

I am sorry it has taken so long for someone to get back to you. We are proud to announce that we are launching three more local stations in HD in 2006. This list includes Pittsburgh , Raleigh , and Indianapolis . I have sent an e-mail to our director in programming to see if he can give me a closer date. Once I get a reply back I will let you know.

Thank you

Matt *******
Executive Communications
Phone—720-***-****
E-mail: Matt.*******@echostar.com

Last edited by a moderator: