Joeys wont Link

I can access the linking screen only from the Hopper's Whole Home Distribution tile. There is no Whole Home Distribution tile at the Joey location. Even from the Hopper screen, pressing select does nothing. You'd think it would change from the red 'unlinked' to a green 'linked'. I'll try some of the other workarounds some of the other guys have listed so far. I'm not impressed with the setup so far. Physical setup is easy. All the waiting, resetting, powering up and down, after everything is set in its place has got to get better. I'm so disappointed how Dish could take such a great idea as the Hopper and drop the ball in the way they have so far. I hope it doesn't turn into on of those 'telephone' type gadgets that does 10,000 different functions, but doesn't function well in its primary purpose.

From my Joeys: Menu - Network Setup - Whole-Home.

HEY! Re-read the instructions, and I could never get my receiver into standby before. Here is EXACTLY what I did for those having problems (just reiterating what was said here, but this did work for me)

1) Unlug the coax from the back of the Joey
2) Press and hold the power button to perform a reset
3) Stare at the power light. It will go out shortly after the box resets. Once the light comes on - HIT THE POWER BUTTON RIGHT AWAY! (This will put the Joey into Standby immediately, shouldn't have to wait for confirmation)
(Standby will have the Joey screensaver on the screen)
4) Once in standby, reconnect the coax
5) Unplug the power and reconnect
(When the cursor comes back on the screen, leave everything alone. Let the box boot back to the screensaver. In 7-10 seconds the '061' vital download screen pops up) This takes 1 minute to complete

Then the Joey goes to the '303' screen, your rcvr memory is being programmed. This takes 3 minutes to complete.

The Joey then resets itself and goes to the 'starting up' screen. This takes 4-5 minutes to complete.

The last step will put the Joey back to the Joey screensaver. At this point press select to watch live tv.

6) Commence the dancing.

Now I'm going to go downstairs and do the same thing for my basement TV.

Thanks for the help guys!

I added the steps in red. I followed these steps this morning and bingo! We've got TV. I was curious to see how long it would take, so I noted the time.

Everyone yesterday said everything from replacing the Hoppers and Joeys, to waiting 4 hours for everything to come through, to 'you must have hooked up the Joeys before the Hopper was downloaded'.

Only the guys at Satelliteguys were able to figure it out. We'll see how long before a software upgrade fixes the headaches or before this workaround reaches the echelons of Tech Support.

There may be more ways to do it, but I connected the coax first (while in standby), then pulled the plug. It probably doesn't matter, but I do know this way worked for me

I too had a nightmare install. After reading several solutions and trying them without success, I finally found the key step that I was missing. Here's the (layman's) guide to getting past the 1303 screen for the Joey:

1. Disconnect the coax cable.
2. Unplug the Joey from the outlet. LEAVE UNPLUGGED FOR AT LEAST 1 MINUTE. THIS IS KEY TO GETTING THE JOEY TO RESET.
3. Plug in Joey WITHOUT COAX CONNECTED. Let the Joey power up completely.
4. Unplug Joey again.
5. Connect the coax cable and plug in Joey.
6. Wait for software to download.

Also on your Hopper if you go to settings->Network Settings->Test and see View Counters – there is a counter called Client ID1: (you may have to page down)

Can you tell me what your client ID is – it should be ZA…: BFC1 if its not then the Hopper hasn't downloaded the new Joey software from the satellite. I am wondering if this is the issue... I had an issue early on where got a software update but lost the Joeys because the Joeys havent updated to the new software yet. I am thinking this might be the ultimate issue.

Scott I'm having hte same exact problem with my two Joeys. Tech left said wait for the next update and the problem should be fixed.
My Client ID is: ZA:001:S255:0JZA

According to what your post said i've got a an old software version and that is why my Joeys aren't linked. Is this true?

Thanks

Ron

Okay, I've been lurking here for two days trying to find out what's wrong with my Joey. I don't think I've seen my exact problem. Forgive me if I've written a redundant post.

My setup is 2 Hoppers/3 Joeys. The upstairs Hopper links with the Master Joey, no problem. The basement Hopper sees and links to one downstairs Joey. The second downstairs Joey is the problem. Initially, it never got beyond the setup screen with something like 6 options listed on the left of the screen and the top two successfully performed (and the rest in red). The screen would just hang for over 20 minutes. In fact, it did so for hours. Initially, the Dish guy was here from 4pm to about 10:30 pm and it seemed he hooked up the Joeys before the downstairs Hopper had received its software upgrade (from what I've been able to glean from lurking). He finally checked in, found he shouldn't have hooked up either of the two downstairs Joeys, but one Joey linked successfully and was fine. But I digress, when he finally gave up (and he busted his a** trying to make things work), I was left with the screen I've mentioned above. I read here and at DBSTalk and tried the reset procedure described above. Nothing would happen. Same option filled screen would appear. Finally left it unpowered over night. I should note that he replaced the original prematurely started Joey with a new one and we ended up with this same problem.

The next morning when I plugged the Joey in, it went to the Joey screensaver. It told me to press SELECT to watch Live TV. Problem was the remote was not linked and pressing SELECT on they Joey did nothing. In fact, the power light on the Joey is off and remains off unless I try to reset it (with the above steps). In any event, I'm now stuck on the Joey screensaver and I don't know whether this is farther along than the option screen I saw first. And I can't get the Joey to get off the screensaver. The relevant Hopper doesn't recognize it.

I'm stuck and don't know what else to try. I've done the reset described above. I've red-button reset the Hopper and I'm now in the process of unplugging both the Hopper and the Joey for an hour to see what happens next. An hour from now, I'll plug the Hopper in first and then see what the Joey does afterward. I'm not optimistic.

Thanks for any assistance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)