Just ordered HR24

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Cool. Thanks guys.

Got off work today and went to Best Buy where they had it setup. Played with it for about half an hour. man the thing is really fast!!
On par with my Dish VIP's.

Cool. Thanks guys.

Got off work today and went to Best Buy where they had it setup. Played with it for about half an hour. man the thing is really fast!!
On par with my Dish VIP's.

I'm surprised they still have them at BB, did they have any for sale or just in the set up.
Most BB's have quit selling D*.

Last edited:
I'm surprised they still have them at BB, did they have any for sale pr just in the set up.
Most BB's have quit selling D*.

Yea. They were selling. The guy I talked to had a Directv shirt on and telling me about more discounts you can get with buying an HDTV from Best Buy.

Quick inquiry,my father in law received his HR24 on Friday which replaced his old HR20 with it.

After on the phone with customer service to get it activated,updated and all that he gets audio and video 480 and 720 but on 1080i he only gets video but no audio:confused:

Does he need to do another update/download? I was thinking he might need a newer HDMI cable,what ya'll think?

That is very odd. I doubt if another HDMI cable is going to make a difference -- data is data. I also doubt a software update is necessary.

The first thing you might try is turning off Dolby Digital if it's on. You'll find that under Menu --> Parental, Fav's & Setup --> System Setup --> Audio --> Dolby Digital.

If it's on, try turning it off. Is he connected directly to the TV, or through a receiver?

I did an A/B blind test with an HR20 and HR24, both set to 1080i, and both feeding a Panasonic 42-inch 1080p plasma on the SAME input. I had my wife swap the HDMI cables at the input, so the TV settings are a non-issue -- she didn't tell me which one I was looking at, but after 10 attempts, I correctly ID'd the HR24 all 10 times.
What about setting native mode on to prevent the box from doing any video rescaling?

What about setting native mode on to prevent the box from doing any video rescaling?

That is a good point. Since my last post on this subject, I did a few more tests, and found that most of my "complaints" seemed to stem from channels that needed to be scaled to the display. This seemed to be true for channels that needed to scale from 720p to 1080i, and also 1080i to 720p (on a native 720p display). However, I did notice that even watching 720p on a 720p display, I could still see a difference -- the edges of small text seemed duller on the HR24.

But, I won't dwell on it. I ended up putting the HR24 in a non-critical viewing area, and went back to using the trusty HR20 in my "lab."

Very interesting.....I might end up with my HR20 in my main room as well if that's the case. I'll try to do a similar test on my 720P 50" plasma and let you know how it looks.

As for it not being the cable, I once had a bad HDMI cable that would display my Samsung blu-ray's initial start screen and then nothing after that. Replaced the cable...and it displayed fine.

Last edited:
That is a good point. Since my last post on this subject, I did a few more tests, and found that most of my "complaints" seemed to stem from channels that needed to be scaled to the display. This seemed to be true for channels that needed to scale from 720p to 1080i, and also 1080i to 720p (on a native 720p display). However, I did notice that even watching 720p on a 720p display, I could still see a difference -- the edges of small text seemed duller on the HR24.

But, I won't dwell on it. I ended up putting the HR24 in a non-critical viewing area, and went back to using the trusty HR20 in my "lab."

I don't have a HR24 but I've always thought my HR20 has better PQ than my HR22s.

Wow all this talk about the speed of the HR24, has me thinking about jumping in and ordering one through one of these sites, one of the things the wife is always talking about is how slow it is to change channels with our current HDDVR, she had a taste of the recivers from Dish and comapres it to that....Purchasing this should help!!

I see in tock at "sxth avenue" for anyone who purchased one from this website, any issue with this company

Wow all this talk about the speed of the HR24, has me thinking about jumping in and ordering one through one of these sites, one of the things the wife is always talking about is how slow it is to change channels with our current HDDVR, she had a taste of the recivers from Dish and comapres it to that....Purchasing this should help!!
you won't regret it!!!

Today I got this via email re: my bing cash back from the HR24 purchase.

You have $7.59 in your cashback account from your Overstock.com purchase on 5/20/2010:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)