Just ordered HR24

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I dont have the issue either. I have a 70" Sony Vaio. I hooked up the HR24 and my picture qualitynever changed.

Could be possible you received a faulty box??

i am as picky as you are and honestly i don't see this issue with the picture quality on the HR24. In fact its the first time i read someone post this. you're 100% sure all of your settings are correct?

I really don't expect anybody else to see this. Over the years I have found that I see things that nobody else does. Just for some background, I've been a video engineer for over 30 years, and in addition to working at television stations and evaluating equipment, I also used to review equipment for high-end consumer mags such as The Perfect Vision.

This definitely is not an issue with settings, as there aren't many that can be set in the DVRs. I did an A/B blind test with an HR20 and HR24, both set to 1080i, and both feeding a Panasonic 42-inch 1080p plasma on the SAME input. I had my wife swap the HDMI cables at the input, so the TV settings are a non-issue -- she didn't tell me which one I was looking at, but after 10 attempts, I correctly ID'd the HR24 all 10 times.

I also repeated the test with a Sony 23-inch LCD, with both machines set to 720p. Again, 10 out of 10. However, I want to make it clear that it's pretty subtle on most material, and it might take me a minute or so to make up my mind -- but I was always able to spot it.

On the other hand, I see no difference between the HR20/21/22/23. There is definitely something different going on inside the HR24.

Check HD Net on a Saturday morning, early like 6:30, they will have a test pattern up, only last for like 10 minutes.

Oh yeah, thanks ... I forgot about that. I will definitely record that on multiple machines. The best "test" I've seen so far is the MLB "Mix" channel on 720-1 -- once the games end, there is a very detailed graphic up there with the team logos -- it is very easy to see the difference on that, especially when there are small areas of color. The color "spills" outside of its borders, and the level of detail is lower.

Could be possible you received a faulty box??

I thought about that, but this doesn't have the look of something that's defective. I've seen this kind of thing before in professional gear, and it's always a design choice. (Though usually there is a switch to turn off whatever processing is causing the "problem.")

I really don't expect anybody else to see this. Over the years I have found that I see things that nobody else does. Just for some background, I've been a video engineer for over 30 years, and in addition to working at television stations and evaluating equipment, I also used to review equipment for high-end consumer mags such as The Perfect Vision.

This definitely is not an issue with settings, as there aren't many that can be set in the DVRs. I did an A/B blind test with an HR20 and HR24, both set to 1080i, and both feeding a Panasonic 42-inch 1080p plasma on the SAME input. I had my wife swap the HDMI cables at the input, so the TV settings are a non-issue -- she didn't tell me which one I was looking at, but after 10 attempts, I correctly ID'd the HR24 all 10 times.

I also repeated the test with a Sony 23-inch LCD, with both machines set to 720p. Again, 10 out of 10. However, I want to make it clear that it's pretty subtle on most material, and it might take me a minute or so to make up my mind -- but I was always able to spot it.

On the other hand, I see no difference between the HR20/21/22/23. There is definitely something different going on inside the HR24.

I think you need to relax and enjoy watching TV instead of analyzing all the programs :D

Oh yeah, thanks ... I forgot about that. I will definitely record that on multiple machines. The best "test" I've seen so far is the MLB "Mix" channel on 720-1 -- once the games end, there is a very detailed graphic up there with the team logos -- it is very easy to see the difference on that, especially when there are small areas of color. The color "spills" outside of its borders, and the level of detail is lower.

Hmmm, I didn't know about that one ....

Do you need to have MLB EI in order for it to show ?

Hmmm, I didn't know about that one ....

Do you need to have MLB EI in order for it to show ?

Oops, yeah, I guess it is only for MLB-EI subs, since while the games are in progress, you can watch eight at once. Gotta have a super multi-tasking brain to take in all of that!

Oops, yeah, I guess it is only for MLB-EI subs, since while the games are in progress, you can watch eight at once. Gotta have a super multi-tasking brain to take in all of that!

Football does this too, I hate it as I have a 60" TV and want 60" on my screen, not a bunch of 10" games.

Many love it, I hate it.

Yeah, I would never actually sit there and watch that, but it doesn't bother me that it's available. It IS a good PQ test channel though, especially when the game is shrunk down into the little box. If you can still read the score-bar when it's that small, you've got some good resolution!

Anyone looking for the HR24, try this..

DIRECTV Plus® HR24 High Definition MPEG-4 DVR (HR-24) HD DVR(DTVHR24) and other affordable DirecTV at 6ave.com.

Price is $187.97

use coupon code: AFL4COUPON and drops the price to $180.46 (not as cheap as Overstock, but at least this place has them in stock right now) plus shipping is free, make sure you click UPS Ground

and if you are outside of NY state, no tax.

Now they also have the NAME YOUR PRICE deal going on, so price can be even lower (YMMV)
Name your price ????

For those still looking for them, Solid Signal has them for the normal price of $ 199, at least they HAVE them.

I'd def go for the Name your Price and enter $160.00 and see how it goes hehe

Wondering if anyone is using RF remote. If I switch back to Direct (found out that my contract with Dish has expired) I will be using the Hr24 for 2 hdtv's like I did with my VIP 622. I have a hdmi splitter to the receiver so both hdtv's are using the same hdmi port. How is the response using RF remote from say 30 or so feet?

Wondering if anyone is using RF remote. If I switch back to Direct (found out that my contract with Dish has expired) I will be using the Hr24 for 2 hdtv's like I did with my VIP 622. I have a hdmi splitter to the receiver so both hdtv's are using the same hdmi port. How is the response using RF remote from say 30 or so feet?

I have the HR22 with RF Remote model RC65R and it works good from all areas of the house, through walls, etc. I'm guessing that my usual distance in my study is ~40-45 ft from the box.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)