List of cities AT&T U-VERSE will be coming to soon.

Well that's why I posted the pictures, I haven't seen boxes like these posted on any other websites. So the consensus, as I understand it, is that these boxes are a new "form" of VRAD boxes.

Beau

:hungry:

no, the pole mounted ones are just another type of 52b box, with you boys being in the old snet region, the state was a lil more strict in how at&t install them, and since mounting them to the telephone pole wouldent nessarly be using a utility right-of-way (read: way of getting around some red tape) and thus not require a permit, just one for a electric meter, which could been for anything. in our region (ameritech) when they was rolling out their cable TV (americast) they would mount 75% of the equpitment, like battery backups and stuff, on the poles, to advoid the permit requirements. the only time they needed those types of permits were in the berbs, for new builds. just shows you that at&t hasent lost their way of dodging some red tape where they can. shoot, here in all realily its Ohio Bell Telephone company still, dba Ameritech, dba SBC (SBC Ohio) dba at&t (at&t Ohio).

no, the pole mounted ones are just another type of 52b box, with you boys being in the old snet region, the state was a lil more strict in how at&t install them, and since mounting them to the telephone pole wouldent nessarly be using a utility right-of-way (read: way of getting around some red tape) and thus not require a permit, just one for a electric meter, which could been for anything. in our region (ameritech) when they was rolling out their cable TV (americast) they would mount 75% of the equpitment, like battery backups and stuff, on the poles, to advoid the permit requirements. the only time they needed those types of permits were in the berbs, for new builds. just shows you that at&t hasent lost their way of dodging some red tape where they can. shoot, here in all realily its Ohio Bell Telephone company still, dba Ameritech, dba SBC (SBC Ohio) dba at&t (at&t Ohio).

And you are in favor of red tape ?

Government insanity held back DSL in our area for at least 5 years .

Wyr

Upcoming launch dates for several major cities, from JoJuu's post at Uverseusers.com:

Los Angeles May 1
Detroit May 21
San Diego June 4
Cleveland June 18
Oklahoma City Aug 6
Sacramento Aug 20
St. Louis Nov 5
Austin Nov 19
Columbus Dec 24

Chicago, interestingly enough, is not on this list, though several residents of the area are reporting on AVS Forum that AT&T has recently installed new VRADs in their neighborhoods.
Also, no word yet on launch dates for the Southeast (former BellSouth service areas); AT&T recently said such an announcement should come later this year.

This may be a sign of things to come for the Orlando area about a 3/10 of a mile from my house outside of Lake Mary (north of Orlando in Seminole County), I noticed something today that I have never seen before ever in that area, a white tube/orange sleve Fiber Optic cable marker with a BellSouth marking on it.

Also, no word yet on launch dates for the Southeast (former BellSouth service areas); AT&T recently said such an announcement should come later this year.

This may be a sign of things to come for the Orlando area about a 3/10 of a mile from my house outside of Lake Mary (north of Orlando in Seminole County), I noticed something today that I have never seen before ever in that area, a white tube/orange sleve Fiber Optic cable marker with a BellSouth marking on it. So U-Verse may be here late 2007/early 2008 in the Orlando area.

I'm confused on what you are saying RIRWIN1983, these boxes serve what purpose? Are they Uverse boxes or not? Is it necessary to go into a long winded explanation of the reason behind the placement of the box? All I care about is the purpose of the box, not the model number and history behind its implementation. I just don’t think your post clarified anything, it only added information that was never requested. No offense intended.

I'm confused on what you are saying RIRWIN1983, these boxes serve what purpose? Are they Uverse boxes or not? Is it necessary to go into a long winded explanation of the reason behind the placement of the box? All I care about is the purpose of the box, not the model number and history behind its implementation. I just don’t think your post clarified anything, it only added information that was never requested. No offense intended.

OK. If you would read each post, your question would have been answered instead of bashing a valid reply to a question that was asked. I have never seen the pole mounted VRADS either. So I thought the reply by RIRWIN1983 was very informative. If you want to get good valid information from this web site and the thousands of members that post here, I suggest throttleing back and stop being so pushy.... 4 post man.

I did read the posts, heck he was answering my original post. My original summation was "So the consensus, as I understand it, is that these boxes are a new "form" of VRAD boxes." I do like background and I didn't want to offend anyone, but the first word of his post states "no". Just seems to muddy the water more than it needs to be.

I did read the posts, heck he was answering my original post. My original summation was "So the consensus, as I understand it, is that these boxes are a new "form" of VRAD boxes." I do like background and I didn't want to offend anyone, but the first word of his post states "no". Just seems to muddy the water more than it needs to be.

The industry term 52B is just that. They come in numerious forms. From the concrete pad mounted ones we have all seen, to the pole mounted ones, to ones about half the size of the pole mounted ones. The box does not dictate what is being used for merly on size/mounting style. The box size and mostly the style of mounting, is based on how that area is "egnineered" If a majority of the connections are aerial, i.e cross connects, then you will more than likely see a pole mounted version. Thus why with Verizon's deployment, in the older areas you see their fiber cabnets that run their FIOS service on the poles, and in newer developments, or areas that require utilites to be buried you see the underground running of cables with access "holes". So getting back to the topic, if the wiring is primaly underground in your area, you'll see a pad mounted version, if its aerial, you'll see the pole mounted ones.

I dont doubt it will not be untill Dec 2007 for columbus,oh to be lit up. There are alot of areas that still have lead encased telephone lines from back during the Ohio Bell days, that can BAIRLY do voice and basic DSL. And those areas are generaly in the lower income portions of the city. If management wants this to work, they need to replace alot of that plant, outherwise the current to run u-verse will end up melting the lines, as those old lines have a ton of resistance! Personaly i wish they would give up, and run the damn fiber like verizon.

Hey everyone, I work for at&t in SE Michigan and they are suspose to be going live with U-verse in the 2nd quarter of this year.

A VRAD has popped up in my neighborhood near 4mile/Plainfield in Grand Rapids, MI. It is not powered up yet, but the fiber trucks are out today. I'm excited!

A VRAD has popped up in my neighborhood near 4mile/Plainfield in Grand Rapids, MI. It is not powered up yet, but the fiber trucks are out today. I'm excited!

Don't get too excited, VRAD's have been all over Austin for over a year that they haven't turned up service yet.

Well I can tell you that the Vrad at Knapp and Eastern is powered up and ready to go. We have been working hard to get all the lines conditioned around town for the fire up but been having some issues with the vrad cards locking up also. I live by Fuller and 3mile and am waiting for my vrad to go in at my cross box. The fiber crews are working major ot when the budget permits. It shouldent be to long now.

I've seen VRAD's installed around Columbus.. Shame their still far off from having the service.. Heck for DSL here if i try to get SBC ( AT&T) DSL im limited to 1.5 MB down load when they have a fresh looking VRAD up the street and a box next to it with a stricker plastered on it that says "lightspeed ready"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)