List of cities AT&T U-VERSE will be coming to soon.

If the above boxes are for Uverse, then what are these boxes for?? The phone company (I think) has been placing these boxes all over my town in the last couple of weeks. On one road the phone company has placed a box every 1/8 of a mile. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Just in case it helps I live in Waterford CT.

:confused:

Is that a vent hose? They probably get hot as hell inside.

info

Well that's why I posted the pictures, I haven't seen boxes like these posted on any other websites. So the consensus, as I understand it, is that these boxes are a new "form" of VRAD boxes.

Beau

:hungry:

If the above boxes are for Uverse, then what are these boxes for?? The phone company (I think) has been placing these boxes all over my town in the last couple of weeks. On one road the phone company has placed a box every 1/8 of a mile. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Just in case it helps I live in Waterford CT.

:confused:
Thats a vrad. :)

Its just not hooked up yet. The big Dryer Hose on top is where the fiber and phone lines comes down into the box. :)

Now that its light out when I get out of work I will take a picture of the Vrad that services my house. Then you can see a pole mounted unit all hooked up.

If you are referring to the tube on the bottom of the box, I believe it is conduit and cable is run through it into the box. If any one wants I can take a picture of a box that is wired.

Beau

:eureka
</IMG>

If you are referring to the tube on the bottom of the box, I believe it is conduit and cable is run through it into the box. If any one wants I can take a picture of a box that is wired.

Beau

:eureka
</IMG>

Yeah, now that Scott pointed out that it was conduit for the cables I can see it better.

DSL was officially switched on in my neck of the woods this week. Called in the order this morning. Finally, dial up will never be in my vocabulary again. Now maybe uverse will not be to far behind. I have spotted a few more vrads around town this week as well. I'm getting goose bumps. My wife thinks i'm nuts. Oh well, I know she's sick of dial up as well.

We have concrete pad mounted VRAD cabinets locally .

My guess is it is not a vent hose . Looks like flex conduit , probably to bring in the communications cables . Copper and / or fiber .

Wyr

2q0t7af.jpg

finish vrad

From what I learned, Embarq is the primary phone service provider in Orlando. I am not sure of any plans Embarq has for TV service.

Orlando itself is an AT&T area along with some suburbs. Embarq has service out in some of the suburbs such as Kissimmee and Winter Park.

Maybe why UVerse is rolling out so sloooooow

From the latest DSLPrime.com news letter:

"Alcatel in 2004 promised the system would be ready to market in 9 months, while other bidders would take at least two years. It is now 2007, and many features are not yet working.

SBC was told performance would be 30 Mb/s at 5,000 and 6,000 feet, per SBC Labs lead Gene Edmon in 2005 in Telephony. in 2006 they were only getting 20-25 consistent megabits at 3.000 feet, per Randall. U-verse is currently turning away everyone over 2500 feet, one-third of prospective customers, per Bear Stearns.

By 2006, comments from SBC were so angry the phone lines from San Antonio to Seattle nearly overheated. Microsoft had used AT&T's confident support to build an almost unstoppable position in IPTV in both North America and Europe, but wasn't close to the promised 2005 delivery.

Alcatel gear did not support AT&T’s network management tools although the chips inside were able to do so, and Alcatel tried to force them to switch to Alcatel’s management tools at much higher costs. Alcatel heavily fought an AT&T standards proposal, including putting pressure on other vendors to vote against the open standards backed by several telcos.

AT&T Uverse is in McKinney now, just 8 miles from me. The lady I spoke with said it could be any day now when it gets to our area. Can't wait!!

Upcoming launch dates for several major cities, from JoJuu's post at Uverseusers.com:

Los Angeles May 1
Detroit May 21
San Diego June 4
Cleveland June 18
Oklahoma City Aug 6
Sacramento Aug 20
St. Louis Nov 5
Austin Nov 19
Columbus Dec 24

Chicago, interestingly enough, is not on this list, though several residents of the area are reporting on AVS Forum that AT&T has recently installed new VRADs in their neighborhoods.
Also, no word yet on launch dates for the Southeast (former BellSouth service areas); AT&T recently said such an announcement should come later this year.

Last edited:
Austin, 11/2007, what a joke. They've had VRAD's sitting around here for almost a year already and they're saying another 8 months before offering service? I wonder how much money that's costing AT&T to have invested in all the hardware and tech's to install them but getting nothing back on that investment?

Upcoming launch dates for several major cities, from JoJuu's post at Uverseusers.com:

Los Angeles May 1
Detroit May 21
San Diego June 4
Cleveland June 18
Oklahoma City Aug 6
Sacramento Aug 20
St. Louis Nov 5
Austin Nov 19
Columbus Dec 24

Chicago, interestingly enough, is not on this list, though several residents of the area are reporting on AVS Forum that AT&T has recently installed new VRADs in their neighborhoods.
Also, no word yet on launch dates for the Southeast (former BellSouth service areas); AT&T recently said such an announcement should come later this year.

Hopefully it's sooner as KC is starting to go online, also so that Charcrap can lose the monopoly of it's HQ in stl.

That is what is called a " RT " cabinet . If you are too far from the central office , they use them to bring the fiber close enough to the neighborhood to get DSL / ADSL to work .

Around here , Pronto was a project preceading (sp) DSL . Pronto died .

Wyr

in the ameritech region pronto was used to bring basic dsl to the burbs mostly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts