MLB 2012 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tigers lead MLB in local tv ratings this season. The top five were Tigers, Reds, Cardinals, Pirates, and Red Sox.

The Red Sox were in top five?? I didn't realize that there was that many sadomasochists out there!! :eek:

I had recently done a little investigation into RSN ratings and audience sizes and was surprised to see that Detroit was at the top in share. I was also surprised to see that the Mets and Philadelphia had the second and third largest average audiences last year. I had expected the order to be Yankees, Cubs and then Red Sox.

I had read several years ago that the Red Sox were actually in the third largest baseball television market because it includes the DMAs of Providence, RI, Springfield, MA, Portland and Bangor Maine, and I think Plattsburg, NY and Hartford, Connecticut. One of the articles mentioned that until a year or two ago, the Red Sox had the highest percentage ratings.

The Angels are banking that they can further enlarge their viewership to pay the preposterous financial obligations they have incurred and are committed to incurring. Pujols gets $30 million a year for about seven years. I am skeptical about that. I think they can sustain ballpark sellouts, but I doubt that they can substantially increase their anemic TV Nielsen share. It is amazing that the Angels are next to last and the Athletics are third to last when they spent August and September in pennant races.

Update: I am surprised to see that Angels ballpark capacity averages in the mid 80% level and attendance has actually declined slightly over the most recent two years. :eek:

Last edited:
I had recently done a little investigation into RSN ratings and audience sizes and was surprised to see that Detroit was at the top in share. I was also surprised to see that the Mets and Philadelphia had the second and third largest average audiences last year. I had expected the order to be Yankees, Cubs and then Red Sox.

I had read several years ago that the Red Sox were actually in the third largest baseball television market because it includes the DMAs of Providence, RI, Springfield, MA, Portland and Bangor Maine, and I think Plattsburg, NY and Hartford, Connecticut. One of the articles mentioned that until a year or two ago, the Red Sox had the highest percentage ratings.

The Angels are banking that they can further enlarge their viewership to pay the preposterous financial obligations they have incurred and are committed to incurring. Pujols gets $30 million a year for about seven years. I am skeptical about that. I think they can sustain ballpark sellouts, but I doubt that they can substantially increase their anemic TV Nielsen share. It is amazing that the Angels are next to last and the Athletics are third to last when they spent August and September in pennant races.

Update: I am surprised to see that Angels ballpark capacity averages in the mid 80% level and attendance has actually declined slightly over the most recent two years. :eek:

Interesting ....

Arte Moreno's lease at Angel Stadium is up in 2 or 3 years. He is (according to close sources) doing all he can to get funding to build a new stadium away from Anaheim. He is (allegedly) fed up with Anaheim politics and will do all he can not have to sign a re-up on the "Big A" lease.

The Tigers lead MLB in local tv ratings this season. The top five were Tigers, Reds, Cardinals, Pirates, and Red Sox. The bottom five teams were Astros, Angels, Athletics, Cubs, and Padres. Keep in mind that these are in order of TV ratings not total viewers. They Yankees had the highest average number of total viewers but they also have the largest market and population is used to determine ratings.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2012/10/tigers_set_club_record_lead_al.html

Go Reds!

Sent from my Transformer TF101

Arte Moreno's lease at Angel Stadium is up in 2 or 3 years. He is (according to close sources) doing all he can to get funding to build a new stadium away from Anaheim. He is (allegedly) fed up with Anaheim politics and will do all he can not have to sign a re-up on the "Big A" lease.

If they dont get a new stadium, where would the Angels go?

Also, Terry Francona has been named new manager of the Indians. They will have a press conference at Progressive Field on Monday.

He should start by getting his team name right. Anaheim Angels, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, now the Los Angeles Angels. He should pick a name and stick with it. If the Angels play in Ahaheim, they should be called Anaheim Angles. I mean Oakland plays in Oakland and there called the Oakland A's, not the Los Angeles A's.

He should start by getting his team name right. Anaheim Angels, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, now the Los Angeles Angels. He should pick a name and stick with it. If the Angels play in Ahaheim, they should be called Anaheim Angles. I mean Oakland plays in Oakland and there called the Oakland A's, not the Los Angeles A's.

I like the California Angels. As long as they stay in CA, the name is still right!

The Angels originally played in Dodgers stadium and were called the LA Angels. When they moved to Anaheim they changed their name to CA Angels.

What is even more interesting is when the Rams were still in LA, the Rams and Angels played in the same stadium, and the Ducks played a block away. All three Anaheim teams had a different locality name. Rams were LA. Angels were California. Ducks were Anaheim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)