MLB 2012 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
satjay said:
I see there are some spring training games on MLB today, looking toward to it.

No kidding...will have to check it out. I have a business trip to the Phoenix/Mesa area on the 19th for a week...hoping to catch a game or 2.

I love the idea, but HATE the idea that baseball in November due to weather is a distinct possibility.

I know that it will NEVER, EVER happen, but I think it is time to think of a 148 game season and start the season on May 1st.

May 1st? That's nuts. Then you will definetly have November baseball.

Yes you would. You knock off only 14 games but take 30 days out of the season? The math doesn't add up.

IT would also include double-headers, ALL teams playing on opening day AND going BACK to 3-outta-5 1st 2 rounds of the playoffs AND only having ALCS, NLCS and WS going 7 games.

IT would also include double-headers, ALL teams playing on opening day AND going BACK to 3-outta-5 1st 2 rounds of the playoffs AND only having ALCS, NLCS and WS going 7 games.

Realistically, you have to agree that the owners are never going to agree to give back revenue, whether it's simply reducing the number of games played, and/or adding scheduled double-headers.

Realistically, you have to agree that the owners are never going to agree to give back revenue, whether it's simply reducing the number of games played, and/or adding scheduled double-headers.

LMAO! Believe me Cosmo, there is NO WAY they will go back to less games. The ONLY reason they are adding 2 playoff teams is because it adds ANOTHER game and MORE money into the owners pockets.

IF all all playoffs series go 6 or 7 games, and with the unpredictability of the weather in the north in October, we could easily have games in November. And as much as I LOVE open air stadiums, playing baseball THAT late into the year is just stupid and an injury just waiting to happen. Same applies to playing games at the end of March and every early April, the weather up north in that month is just two unpredictable.

Strasburg got hit yesterday, like he's human or something. Late last year, when he began his comeback from Tommy John surgery, reports downplayed the fact that his fastball never hit 100 MPH, and the only reference I have seen this year to him having hit that threshold was in a "puff piece" touting the Nationals prospects. If Strasburg is now a 96-98 MPH pitcher, he won't be the second coming of Sandy Koufax like he seemed to be two seasons ago.

Strasburg got hit yesterday, like he's human or something. Late last year, when he began his comeback from Tommy John surgery, reports downplayed the fact that his fastball never hit 100 MPH, and the only reference I have seen this year to him having hit that threshold was in a "puff piece" touting the Nationals prospects. If Strasburg is now a 96-98 MPH pitcher, he won't be the second coming of Sandy Koufax like he seemed to be two seasons ago.

I disagree ...

Many pitchers are VERY successful with 96-98 MPH fastballs.
As long as he's capable of mixing his pitches, he'll be fine.

I disagree ...

Most pitchers don't strike out 14 or more batters in nine or fewer innings four times in their careers, but Strasburg did it four times in less than half a season. He isn't supposed to "be fine". He's supposed to be the greatest pitcher ever. If he is as good as the two or three dozen other major leaguers who presently pitch at 96 to 98 MPH, then he won't be as good as the Nationals expect him to be.

Most pitchers don't strike out 14 or more batters in nine or fewer innings four times in their careers, but Strasburg did it four times in less than half a season. He isn't supposed to "be fine". He's supposed to be the greatest pitcher ever. If he is as good as the two or three dozen other major leaguers who presently pitch at 96 to 98 MPH, then he won't be as good as the Nationals expect him to be.

He's still a KID .... give him a break.
If every kid that came up that was suppose to be GREAT ... WAS .... then we'd have a BUNCH of GREATS.

As for the speed of his pitches, it's still too early to say he's not getting to his potential.
I don't think Verlander has hit 100 MPH yet this year, am I worried that he won't be able to pitch this year at 94-96 .... NO ...

Jeff Sellers

Sellers was a rookie on the Red Sox '86 pennant winning team. He was the #5 starter (behind Clemens, Hurst, Boyd and Nipper), that is until the Sox acquired a pitcher by the name of Tom Seaver.

I wonder how many young people here know who Jose Tartabul was. I once saw a cool picture from 1966 or 1967 with him and his four year old son at a Red Sox father and son game.

Last edited:
I disagree ...

Look at Greg Maddux. I don't think he got much above 90mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)