Must Carry Question

mixedday

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
NJ
I can't respond directly to this thread as its too old:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/46070-must-carry-question.html#post399612

So, Im asking in a new thread.

One station in my area, WMGM-TV 40, has requested must-carry for this current cycle [ 2009-2011]. The station runs NBC programming, has about 2 hours a day of local news programming though pretty low budget, and it transmits from Avalon, NJ. Its licensed to Wildwood NJ, unlike WCAU 10 (NBC) which is licensed to Philadelphia (in Pennsylvania). So, it can get carriage, unlike KNAZ-Flagstaff that couldn't get carriage because it being in the same state as the Phoenix based affiliate. KNAZ has since ceased local news[August 2008] citing not being able to get satellite carriage as one factor.

WMGM has delivered a quality fiber optic signal from Avalon, NJ to Dish's point of presence in Pennsauken, NJ, a distance of 80 miles.

I emailed Dish, a certain rep., and found out that Dish does indeed plan on carrying the station as it elected must-carry. However, the response I'm also getting is capacity is an issue. Dish is playing the capacity=full issue is a problem, and they won't divulge a time frame. The station manager is somewhat upset as its costing them a lot of money and they got the signal ready a two months before the new year. He wants the customers to ask for it.

As one month is now gone [from the actual Jan 1 start date], and its roughing 35 months, the station is paying a lot of money to keep the signal to Dish, how long can Dish blow off NOT carrying the station?

I reviewed fcc00417.doc from the FCC site (google it) and there was no language exactly of when satellite has to commence carrying a must-carry when a new cycle begins. Only under topics: New Local-Into-Local Service and New Television Stations. but neither of those apply in this situation.

Has Dish added any new must-carry stations this cycle so far? It appears more channels were dropped including WYBE 35, than added.

WYBE I know is too cheap to do fiber optic, but the signal can easily be picked up over the air in Pennsauken, NJ. I haven't been able to get anybody on the phone over at WYBE. Calling the station is like calling a voicemail box. Maybe they are so understaffed, low budget that they don't even care or have the money to care otherwise, but nonetheless a loss for customers.

Over at DirecTV, well, I was at my Best Buy just flipping the local stations, DirecTV still carries WYBE and carries WMGM, but I noticed PBS 39 (WLVT) from Bethlehem/Allentown looking terrible, like an OTA analog pickup. Is the reception on the station that bad? I remembered in '06 or so, I had DirecTV and didn't notice a problem. Verizon Fios carries PBS 39 (SD signals...not the HD feed), but its clear. PBS 39 is sometimes a better PBS than WHYY 12, and makes a nice alternative in the daytime for PBS.

Last edited:
Not sat

I can't respond directly to this thread as its too old:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/46070-must-carry-question.html#post399612

So, Im asking in a new thread.

One station in my area, WMGM-TV 40, has requested must-carry for this current cycle [ 2009-2011]. The station runs NBC programming, has about 2 hours a day of local news programming though pretty low budget, and it transmits from Avalon, NJ. Its licensed to Wildwood NJ, unlike WCAU 10 (NBC) which is licensed to Philadelphia (in Pennsylvania). So, it can get carriage, unlike KNAZ-Flagstaff that couldn't get carriage because it being in the same state as the Phoenix based affiliate. KNAZ has since ceased local news[August 2008] citing not being able to get satellite carriage as one factor.

WMGM has delivered a quality fiber optic signal from Avalon, NJ to Dish's point of presence in Pennsauken, NJ, a distance of 80 miles.

I emailed Dish, a certain rep., and found out that Dish does indeed plan on carrying the station as it elected must-carry. However, the response I'm also getting is capacity is an issue. Dish is playing the capacity=full issue is a problem, and they won't divulge a time frame. The station manager is somewhat upset as its costing them a lot of money and they got the signal ready a two months before the new year. He wants the customers to ask for it.

As one month is now gone [from the actual Jan 1 start date], and its roughing 35 months, the station is paying a lot of money to keep the signal to Dish, how long can Dish blow off NOT carrying the station?

I reviewed fcc00417.doc from the FCC site (google it) and there was no language exactly of when satellite has to commence carrying a must-carry when a new cycle begins. Only under topics: New Local-Into-Local Service and New Television Stations. but neither of those apply in this situation.

Has Dish added any new must-carry stations this cycle so far? It appears more channels were dropped including WYBE 35, than added.

WYBE I know is too cheap to do fiber optic, but the signal can easily be picked up over the air in Pennsauken, NJ. I haven't been able to get anybody on the phone over at WYBE. Calling the station is like calling a voicemail box. Maybe they are so understaffed, low budget that they don't even care or have the money to care otherwise, but nonetheless a loss for customers.

Over at DirecTV, well, I was at my Best Buy just flipping the local stations, DirecTV still carries WYBE and carries WMGM, but I noticed PBS 39 (WLVT) from Bethlehem/Allentown looking terrible, like an OTA analog pickup. Is the reception on the station that bad? I remembered in '06 or so, I had DirecTV and didn't notice a problem. Verizon Fios carries PBS 39 (SD signals...not the HD feed), but its clear. PBS 39 is sometimes a better PBS than WHYY 12, and makes a nice alternative in the daytime for PBS.

Must carry doesn't really apply to sat. It's for cable. Cable systems are considered "local".

Must carry does apply to sat.

Especially for the big 4 networks, but does not include HD unless Dish carries one station in a DMA in HD, they must carry all that declare must carry and try to negotiate a carriage agreement with the others.

A couple of years down the road the rule changes so that if Dish carries one HD in a DMA, they MUST CARRY all HD stations that declare must carry, not just the big 4.

That is what all the flap about Dish removing certainlocal stations has been about - the station wants a carriage agreement and they and Dish could not agree, so they're gone.

The station needs to file a complaint with the FCC for Dish Network's non-compliance wuth the must carry regulation which is specified in federal law. The "space issue" is Dish's problem. If the station filed for Must carry by the dead line and met the other requirements, Dish MUST carry the channel even if they have to bump a national channel off the air to do so. Must carry does not say, "must carry unless you don't have the space". That time is looooong gone.

For those that say that Must Carry does not apply to satellite, you need to reread the law. See EKB: What does "Must Carry" mean?

The station needs to file a complaint with the FCC for Dish Network's non-compliance wuth the must carry regulation which is specified in federal law. The "space issue" is Dish's problem. If the station filed for Must carry by the dead line and met the other requirements, Dish MUST carry the channel even if they have to bump a national channel off the air to do so. Must carry does not say, "must carry unless you don't have the space". That time is looooong gone.

For those that say that Must Carry does not apply to satellite, you need to reread the law. See EKB: What does "Must Carry" mean?

Since the poster is in the Philly DMA and Philly stations are primary and provided to all in the DMA by federal reg, does E* have to add the secondary station or does it fall under the same category as a non-Big 4.

it falls under the same category. As long as its a full power station they can ask for must carry Dish has to carry it (as long as they can get a good enough signal). Low powered stations do not have to be carried

Thanks...thats what I thought, a carriage complaint looked to be the only way for the station to voice concern at this point. I'm thinking Dish thinks this buys them time as that whole process takes time (station filing complaint, FCC reviewing it..), and Dish doesn't suffer a financial penalty on their end. I hope Dish carries it soon though before it has to come to that.

Is Dish strained on the spotbeam space for some reason that they are penny pinching with this? I just emailed Dish that this channel has local news (although somewhat crappy...but I didn't mention that), but it offers some value. I emailed the rep that they should drop either WNJB or WNJS (both NJN signals...exactly the same except for ID on the hour), as one could suffice to cover both Phila and NY. Wasteage and NJN is taxpayer supported...so I think its time that got fixed. DirecTV does this as they offer WNJS in New York, and Fios carries WNJT 52 even though WNJS is closer, etc.. I think Dish already does this with some state PBS stations. This to free a spot for possibly WMGM-TV carriage. But I got a generic response that it was must-carry and they couldnt do it. Oh well to that.

I emailed the rep that they should drop either WNJB or WNJS (both NJN signals...exactly the same except for ID on the hour), as one could suffice to cover both Phila and NY. Wasteage and NJN is taxpayer supported...so I think its time that got fixed. DirecTV does this as they offer WNJS in New York, and Fios carries WNJT 52 even though WNJS is closer, etc.

NJN's charter and their reason for existence is for the New Jersey television market. NJN is not for Philadelphia DMA and not for New York DMA, but the entire state of New Jersey.
Since their situation is rather unique I wonder if someone knows how they handle must-carry in Phila and NYC markets?

Yeah, I know their intent is for NJ (as they are funded by NJ taxpayers), but because satellite uses the Nielsen DMA because the language of the law indicates so, NJN by situation winds up available for all New York DMA and Philadelphia DMA viewers... even on cable, Philadelphia and some outlyng burbs, Wilmington DE and Manhattan, NY viewers get NJN on cable, but it maybe because its just free for cable to offer it in the nearby zones, and its public interest.

DirecTV just offers WNJS in both New York and Philadelphia packages. Anyways, I'd thought of it before (encouraging Dish to do the same..as it'd make sense! esp if they are looking to save bandwith). Re: the possibility of NJN filing a carriage complaint demanding Dish carry both WNJS and WNJB if Dish were to drop WNJB by way of delivering WNJS into 2 markets. I'd just find that scenario (of NJN raising issue) unlikely as cable systems sometimes carry WNJT or WNJB or WNJN, etc. Dunno...don't want to get too involved in that discussion as it appears to lead to nowhere.

I like Dish because of their continuance of superstation offering, Cinemax right now, and they make it easy to get locals without taking a high base package ($30/more) with a long term contract.

My thought would be if some markets are resource-intensive (a lot of must-carry channels) and possibly low satellite penetration, meaning each must-carry becomes significantly more of a strain, that Dish just charge more in that market, like a $1 more. That's common for prices to vary in different markets. I can't speak for everyone but I'd rather get all my locals than be penny pinched in that regard, and channels are not made available even when the signal is available (assuming also the station owner isn't asking for payment).

I emailed the station and the GM said Dish has provided them w/ a launch date of 3.18.09. Ok lets see and wait on that.

In addition, WLVT 39 (PBS) Allentown/Bethlehem is anticipating carriage within the next few weeks. So, the Allentown PBS and Atlantic City NBC, hmm...I hope WYBE 35 will also be restored, and WYNE-25 (NYC TV) to the NYC locals.

Looking at lyngsat, I noticed only 7 stations on tp23 110 which is now hosting the Baltimore, MD stations. Given the adjacency of the two markets, couldn't the Philly must-carry overflow stations also be added there, since most other transponders have about 10-11 channels?

It was reported that DirecTV recently (like this week) re-added WWSI 62 (TMO)/Philly and WMBC 63(Ind.)/NY - these stations were dropped after the 2005 must-carry as they didn't re-file correctly, but they have been restored for this cycle, so some must-carry stations are still being added re-added, as the sat providers configure space.

Many stations are pushing more so now to get on the providers than in the past (prior must-carry cycles), as they figure they'll lose some OTA viewers with the digital transition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)