My Top Five Improvements to Dish DVR software

Two things I would like to see are:

1) 30-minute buffer of whatever you are watching, so if you want to record what you are watching, it will also record the previous 30 minutes, as well. I've seen this on TiVO before, and thought it was a great idea.

2) Being able to select TV1 or TV2 on the fly as you are setting the recording. You just never know what room you'll be watching in while you want to record something else. Right now you have to completely switch your settings to change the default TV.

1) 30-minute buffer of whatever you are watching, so if you want to record what you are watching, it will also record the previous 30 minutes, as well. I've seen this on TiVO before, and thought it was a great idea.
You can already, just rewind 30 minutes and hit record.

I'm guessing that instead of thinking you want to record the 30 minutes before you even tuned to a channel that you want to record (it can't read your mind).

2) Being able to select TV1 or TV2 on the fly as you are setting the recording. You just never know what room you'll be watching in while you want to record something else. Right now you have to completely switch your settings to change the default TV.
I have that option come up quite often, but it seems to only come up if the show already started.

If you have been watching the program from the start (up to 60 minutes ago) there is an option to 'Record Entire Event' without having to rewind all the way back.

I would like to see an option to tie "search" to a specific guide list so that I can search only "list 1" and I not get all the channels that I don't receive in my results. I assume they are all in there to tempt us into buying them.

In fact, I think that when you delete it just changes some pointers and the program doesn't really get erased until the operating system decides to re-write over that space.
Dish's DVRs use Linux for the OS and the filesystem they use may not operate that way. You're thinking of DOS-based filesystems.

I agree. Since the buffers shut down, why not have an option to put it into low-power mode? Just park the drive heads, kill the vpu (no screen saver) and step down the fan speed. All it needs running in standby mode is a scheduler thread so it can "wake up" for timed events or updates.

Yes 100% this is my biggest issue with an otherwise very nice DVR product.

Am i the only one that does not have a delete option after a program is done from the EHD ?? I have to find the show on the EHD again and delete it that way.

With a 1 button option ;) like the color buttons on my Directv remotes ;) (about only thing I like about those remotes)
You want 12-hour, I want 8, someone else wants 24... That's why it works the way pepper points out. It pleases everyone (as best they can).

My 1 cent, I too would like better 'standby' functionality. My 722 runs full bore even when I'm not doing anything. Just waiting for me to turn it on or for it to 'see' a timer, c'mon DN, that is so 1990's.

One thing I haven't seen mention would be the ability to record a part of a previous recording. Say, you record an entire concert but you really enjoyed one particular song. It should be very easy to program the ability to hit record while you are watching a recording and re-record that one song. Then, you could delete the concert and save the re-recorded portion.

George

That's another suggestion that's been made before... Add an option like "Delete already viewed portion of program". You'd also want an option for "Delete everything after this point".

For everyone that wants a one button option just get a logitec harmony remote and program macro buttons. They work great for me. One of the first macro buttons I set was to get to the recorded shows. It has saved hundreds of button pushes over the past year LOL.

Am i the only one that does not have a delete option after a program is done from the EHD ?? I have to find the show on the EHD again and delete it that way.

:up:up I hate having to do that, esp since I have such a large # of programs on my EHD.

Ever watch a program on the DVR, and be kicked out of it with a "lost satellite signal" message? That's stupid- why notify of a lost signal when you're not watching a live program? Makes for difficult viewing- having to go clear the msg, go back to the DVR list, find your program again, and hit resume. And maybe skip back.

I don't remember my 721 ever doing that. Or is my memory bad? I suppose it's hoping for too much to see this fixed this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)