Nascar 2009

If you look at the replay you can see Carl make contact with the barrier before he went up into the fence so the fence didn't take the full impact . If it did it might not have held up. So they were lucky. There will always be risk at the races .

More than likely the fence would have held even at full impact. The fence held in 1987 when Bobby Allison hit it going about 210 mph. The fence is stronger now than it was in 1987 and Edwards was going about 20 mph slower.

I don't pretend to know the answer on how to address the speed issue at Dega and Daytona, I do know that plate racing ain't it.

Bobby Allison said to do away with the plates and mandate a smaller engine at Talladega & Daytona.[/QUOTE]

The bottom line is that ratings are down. And NASCAR knows they have a problem. Have they lost the old school fans? I think they have. You see better racing at your local tracks . They penalize drivers at the drop of a hat. I want to see drivers angry. You don't see that now.

More than likely the fence would have held even at full impact. The fence held in 1987 when Bobby Allison hit it going about 210 mph. The fence is stronger now than it was in 1987 and Edwards was going about 20 mph slower.
But Bobby didn't hit the same way as Carl Edwards did. And believe it or not Carl looks like he went higher in the air even with the flaps on the car.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt5XCCgwulA"]YouTube - Talladega Crash Bobby Allison Bill Elliott[/ame]

But Bobby didn't hit the same way as Carl Edwards did. And believe it or not Carl looks like he went higher in the air even with the flaps on the car.

I've had a chance to view the "incident" at the end and have a few observations:

I've seen about 6 different angles from Speed and Fox and replayed on the DVR.

First, Kesolowski did nothing wrong. he held his line like he's supposed to. yellow line or not he had the position.

Second, Edwards car was in the air BUT, it was on the way down when the 39 car drove under the 99 and launched him. The flaps on the car did work, it was going back to the track surface.

That car could have had a set of flaps from a 747 on it and it still would have gone airborne. The force of the 99 landing on the 39 at speed caused the 99 to hit the fence.

Third, the 99 car skipped off the top of the wall and into the fence. The fence did it's job. Only a solid wall could have stopped any debris from going through or over the fence.

This crash will bring the inevitable question of what does NASCAR do to fix cars from going into the fence?

NOTHING!

Realistically what could be done? Look at the video yourselves. Watch the 99 start to come back down to the track and watch what happens when the 39 hits it.

How do you "Fix" that?

I've had a chance to view the "incident" at the end and have a few observations:

Great post talos4, I agree 100%. All the safety things did there job. There will always be some type of flying garbage making it's way into the stands and that's the issue NASCAR has to deal with.
Check out Geoff Bodines accident at Daytona back in I think 2000, that one is scary.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lIS3zybb2s]YouTube - geoff bodine daytona wreck[/ame]

Great post talos4, I agree 100%. All the safety things did there job. There will always be some type of flying garbage making it's way into the stands and that's the issue NASCAR has to deal with.
Check out Geoff Bodines accident at Daytona back in I think 2000, that one is scary.

YouTube - geoff bodine daytona wreck

That was one terrible wreck. I was watching it.

very sad :(

I heard it this afternoon on Moody's show and was shocked. I just listened to the show this morning

Whether you loved him, hated him, disagreed with him (which was everyone) he will be missed

Some may have heard him on The Morning Drive on Sirius 128. They just posted this on the NASCAR web site.

NASCAR.COM - Charlotte writer Poole dies - Apr 28, 2009

When Moody started the show this afternoon I wasn't sure of what was going on. You know how the speedway crew can be. Then he said it.

Because of David I no longer listen to music the same. His dramatic readings were priceless.

I just hope St. Peter didn't try to hand David a pair of sandals along with his robe.

Rest in peace Big guy.

Anyone want to bet that Dale Jr. will never win a Championship? Dale Jr. is a great marketing tool for NASCAR but he also gets way too much attention for being an average driver.

and here is David Poole in happier times
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKdTVoQqbns"]YouTube - David Poole Rant at Nascar Race an Charlotte 2007[/ame]

Gee, are you going to be here for the next 15 years to make good on your hope.
Yes, In fact since 2001 I've won some bets with fans. I have a few bets running this year . The one that I have now with my betting friend is that Kyle Busch will win a Championship before Dale Jr. does. I also have one with Kyle ending the year with more points that Dale Jr. I loved his Dad but Dale Jr. is not that good. It's nothing personal . It's just a fact. I heard all my friends tell me that this year he would win it. Trouble is I heard the same thing last year. NASCAR isn't too happy either when Jr . doesn't do well. I'm just disappointed when they don't give more credit to drivers that win.

Yes, I'm still taking bets:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)