New 722 Cooling Mod

ralfyguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 17, 2005
McAlester, Oklahoma
Check this out: A ViP722 with a ViP222k top cover. The louvers already make it feel cooler to the touch. I wouldn't be surprised if the logged temps drop over time.

Attachments

• Picture 8357.jpg
    Picture 8357.jpg
    938.9 KB · Views: 621
Looks like I could just take my ViP722 cover off and put in on the driveway and run it over with my studded snow tires and obtain the same result. Good idea! :)

HansenFarm

Am planning to build a top cover with at least one cooling fan thermostatically controlled for my 722. Had hoped someone would come up with a ready built solution.
Hard drive lasted 15 months on an otherwise well functioning 722. This is not acceptable considering the actual time the drive is running.
Unit sets completely in the open and when I pulled the cover the HD was very hot to the touch.
Was not aware of the function to check temperature and since HD is out that function will not activate now. At least the receiver works fine without the HD.
Dish will replace unit for $40 or so but since I own it, and it works so well otherwise, I hate to take a chance on replacement.
Installed a new exact model replacement hard drive but can not get it to format or recognize.
Dish should give our government lessons on how to keep information secret as it seems impossible to get any service info. Difficult to accept for a person who has serviced electronics(including computers) for over 55 years.

Am planning to build a top cover with at least one cooling fan thermostatically controlled for my 722. Had hoped someone would come up with a ready built solution.
Hard drive lasted 15 months on an otherwise well functioning 722. This is not acceptable considering the actual time the drive is running.
Unit sets completely in the open and when I pulled the cover the HD was very hot to the touch.
Was not aware of the function to check temperature and since HD is out that function will not activate now. At least the receiver works fine without the HD.
Dish will replace unit for $40 or so but since I own it, and it works so well otherwise, I hate to take a chance on replacement.
Installed a new exact model replacement hard drive but can not get it to format or recognize.
Dish should give our government lessons on how to keep information secret as it seems impossible to get any service info. Difficult to accept for a person who has serviced electronics(including computers) for over 55 years.
Read this thread about 622/722 compatible hard drives. You must use only these drives as replacements. There is another must read thread about cooling the 622/722.

The HD low temp dropped from 116F to 109F. These 7 degrees was worth the swap already. I got the cover from the 722 on the 222k now, which isn't hooked up anyways. I have no use for it. It's stowed away in it's box. It is way beyond my imagination, why NON-DVR receivers get the vented covers, and the ones with DVR are almost competely closed. This is completely stupid. Unless I am missing something here, like a proven reason, why it's done like that. I couldn't think of anything.

That is great. Wish I had a cover like that. My 722 average temp is 122.
You need to cool that thing down or the Hard drive is going to have a short life span. Try a fan blowing into the right side or pulling out the left side back.

Newegg.com - ENERMAX UC-8EB 80mm Case Fan - Case Fans
Needs a power supply

or

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Mobile-Fan-External-Cooling/dp/tech-data/B00080G0BK/ref=de_a_smtd]Amazon.com: Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan - Us: Electronics[/ame]
USB powered

But then you might have to buy a new tire after it touches E* equipment.:D
lol

I've got a spare tire in the bed of my truck that I haven't used in 5 years...so I can afford to try it...

I'm glad someone enjoyed that. Seriously though, I'd love to do some modifications to my receiver like the OP has done, but I don't want the opportunity to arrise to have to pay for it because I lease my ViP722. I've just got a simple case fan helping out now.

Mine is the same... think it was low of 110 and high of 134 with average 122. I'm not putting a fan on it. If it dies it dies..

I had those same number on one of mine. I put some little blocks under each corner to raise it about an inch and the average went from 122º to 116º. A free -6º fix.:)

I had those same number on one of mine. I put some little blocks under each corner to raise it about an inch and the average went from 122º to 116º. A free -6º fix.:)

Mine is in an open style entertainment tower with glass shelves. There is a Fortec Classic receiver sitting on top of it, but there's no holes on top of the 722 anyways. Lots of room around the sides of the 722. There's an HTPC(uplink PC) in one of those audio component looking cases on the shelf below but that shouldn't affect anything. My temps might run higher in the summer though since I my A/C is programmed to up the temperature by about 5 or 6 degrees from 8am-4p on M-F.

Mine is in an open style entertainment tower with glass shelves. There is a Fortec Classic receiver sitting on top of it, but there's no holes on top of the 722 anyways. Lots of room around the sides of the 722. There's an HTPC(uplink PC) in one of those audio component looking cases on the shelf below but that shouldn't affect anything. My temps might run higher in the summer though since I my A/C is programmed to up the temperature by about 5 or 6 degrees from 8am-4p on M-F.

Mine is sitting on top of everything else with plenty of space around it. See photo. My average is 125, high 138, low now 109 - was 116. I keep the house at 77 degrees all year around. I had the external HD on top of it with the old cover, located on the far right and all the way back. This caused the fan to run at an elevated speed, and the cover was very warm to the touch underneath the external HD. I relocated the external HD and the top cooled off again. The fan slowed down again after a few hours. Then I replaced the top cover with the 222k cover and the low temp dropped 7 degrees. It also feels nice and cool to the touch now, except the area around the power supply, which is always VERY hot to the touch. I think I am going to reset the NVRAM to reset the logged temps and see what happens.

As far as I know, you can't buy any spare parts for E* receivers. I got the 222k from a retailer dissolution for free. It's brand new in box. I just used the cover from it. I was lucky to get my hands on it, because they were taking lots of stuff to the landfill. I rescued that unit. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)