New Fee

I haven't seen hotspots or cell data usage be any cheaper...usually more expensive based on data usage.

No, we could do without, but as TV prices skyrocket and cord-cutting is suggested, then internet access becomes more prevalent and mainstream. Plus all the required day-to-day banking and management of bills and life.

Yes, I could be like my parents who never had internet and write checks, pay bills thru the mail, and run to the library or call one of their kids any time they need us to do something "internetty"

I think we still have an old set of World Book Encyclopedias around here somewhere. :biggrin

We couldn't do business without internet access. All of the order entry, training and everything else is only available on line.

We couldn't do business without internet access. All of the order entry, training and everything else is only available on line.

You're running a business, though. So one of your business expenses is Hughesnet. I agree that if I were running a business and I couldn't get any internet access, I'd have to move it to a location that did. But that's the cost of doing business ;)

You're running a business, though. So one of your business expenses is Hughesnet. I agree that if I were running a business and I couldn't get any internet access, I'd have to move it to a location that did. But that's the cost of doing business ;)

No doubt there are some poor folks who have no internet access at home but I can't even imagine living without it anymore. Just the ability to do an internet search has become almost indispensable. Granted, you don't need it to survive at a minimal level but could you really go back to the way it was before the internet?

Me personally? No. But I'm willing to pay what it takes to make internet access available to me. If I wanted or needed to, I could cut it out of my personal life. My employer provides it at work.

My 12 year old goes to school with quite a few kids who don't have internet at home. They survive but they're at a definite disadvantage because all their school work is on line now too. Believe it not they all have school issued Chrome Books.

Cable tv and cable internet(in cities) is considered a utility. DSL, satellite, and the various other work arounds are luxuries and not considered utilities. There is also something with satellite internet in the rural areas, but seeing as I am the furthest thing from rural, I never learned much on it.

Reactions: tallfence
My 12 year old goes to school with quite a few kids who don't have internet at home. They survive but they're at a definite disadvantage because all their school work is on line now too. Believe it not they all have school issued Chrome Books.

I've helped several families in rural areas figure out suitable and affordable internet solutions. If the school feels it's essential, then the parents should probably spend the money.

No doubt there are some poor folks who have no internet access at home but I can't even imagine living without it anymore. Just the ability to do an internet search has become almost indispensable. Granted, you don't need it to survive at a minimal level but could you really go back to the way it was before the internet?

I would love to!

Last August I was without a cell phone for the better part of a week when I had to send my Nexus 6P to eBay Valet and didn’t receive my Pixel yet. It was a beautiful, glorious, peaceful 4 or 5 days. Last March we had windstorms that took out the power from Tuesday afternoon to Saturday morning. Gasp, not only no internets, but no TV, no phone, no heat. Thank God for the gas water heater so we could still take hot showers. It was a cold week. It got down to 40 degrees inside of the house by Thursday evening. The internet is a really important thing when you’re freezing in your own house covered up with 5 blankets and the only source of heat besides your own body is a propane lantern. NOT! Besides the cold, it was a very nice feeling being isolated and having no access to the outside world.

One thing I’ve noticed is since the loss of power in March, I spend less time on the computer. Since being without a cell phone in the Summer, I hardly ever touch the thing.

The internet was great when no one was on it. It was a great thing up until it was ruined by things like Facebook and the advent of the smartphone, which allowed people who should not have a voice in society to have a megaphone courtesy of an overpriced circuit board they carry in their pockets.

Growing up in the 80s and 90s, I feel sorry of the Tide Pod eating generation, unless they are strong willed, which most of them aren’t, they’ll never know what it’s like to not have something like ‘social’ media infecting their life. If I had kids, I’d probably have enterprise grade ASAs with service agreements to restrict as much of the internet as possible.

I didn’t have an encyclopedia set at home. If I needed a real encyclopedia as a reference for a report and my Compton’s Interactive or Microsoft Encarta didn’t count, I’d have to go in town to the public library or stay after school and use the school library. I don’t feel sorry for people who don’t have internet home. My tax dollars are paying for you to have access to it in some way, shape or form, so take advantage of it.

My first real eye opening moment on how disgustingly dependent we are on technology was courtesy of the South Park episode 'Over Logging'.

Growing up in the 80s and 90s, I feel sorry of the Tide Pod eating generation, unless they are strong willed, which most of them aren’t, they’ll never know what it’s like to not have something like ‘social’ media infecting their life.

I agree. Social Media has not improved my personal life in any way, shape or form. It serves a purpose for my company as a marketing tool, but I do not have a personal Facebook account and do not want one. Instagram used to be fun for humorous memes and photos, but it’s become a cesspool. I have completely unplugged from all forms of social media and it is liberating.

Unless of course you consider this site “social media,” in which case I am TOTALLY plugged in :biggrin

Reactions: pattykay
I don't know if AT&T still offers the plan, but awhile back they were offering a home VOIP phone cell service using standard residential phones and cell Internet at $60/mo with a 250GB cap or $100/mo for a 500GB cap using their "Home Base" ATA/cell hotspot. It was only available in rural areas of some states though.

Having internet access and wasting your time on social media are 2 completely different things, as you guys obviously know already. The internet is just like any other tool that can be used for either good things or bad things. But it is definitely a tool that has become almost essential.

I also have Spectrum (used to be Charter) and I pay $64.99 for 60mbps down and 6mbps up. I wonder why some folks get better deals than others?

I was with Time Warner and was paying $74.99 for 60 Mb down and 6 Mb up. Spectrum became Time Warner but nothing changed. One of my Cub Scout parents works for Spectrum. He told me our area was setup for 100 Mb download and 10 Mb up. He suggested that I check at the local Spectrum office. I did that. They changed my billing from Time Warner to Spectrum. My bill was reduced $10 to $64.99 and my speed increased to 100 Mb down and 10 up. Thus it pays to check. They don’t automatically change your billing from Time Warner to Spectrum even though they are the same company. I would never have known except for my Cub Scout parent who works for Spectrum.

Stuck On Acquiring Signal

Hopper 3 software U510

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)