Next project - center channel shelf

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Thanks to some discussion with Teachsac, Im going to move my center. At our previous place, I had it mounted over the tv, but have just never done it here. I also had another tv with a smaller footprint, and this center (or any other big center) just do not match up on the stand.

I have a pc of stained shelving that came with the ent center, so it matches it perfectly, Im thinking of mounting it over the top of the tv, moving the tv forward so that the shelf edge matchs the top of the tv. Guess Ill use some L brackets that Ill paint flat black(same paint as sub base), then put a slight bend in them to angle the speaker toward the seating position. Or I could always use rubber feet and put a slight lift into the back side of the speaker.

Input appreciated, will try next weekend. Older pic, but it gives you an idea.

IMG_0028-1.jpg

There is this guy:

B-Tech BT15 Center channel speaker wall mount at Crutchfield.com

33 lbs, only needs studs, low profile. I guess the problem with it is down angling the center.

I think the shelf would be better, and to make it level. Use rubber feet to put a slight lift into the backside of the center.

Man, you figure someone would make something built for this, I know Im not the first person to have this problem :)

I'm beind this move all the way elway! I would think you would want to keep as close to TV level as possible. Any chance you might want to just change your TV cabinet out for one that has a nice place for it?

I actually built a lift for my TV to sit on and kept my front speaker sitting on the cabinet. Now the speaker sits directly below and flush with my TV screen.

I will take pictures tonight to show you.....

I'm beind this move all the way elway! I would think you would want to keep as close to TV level as possible. Any chance you might want to just change your TV cabinet out for one that has a nice place for it?

Well, the stand is part of the WAF deal, so it has to stay. Shes open to what I do with the center. Ive been reading and discussing 2.1 systems, and it appears, if you sit directly in front like we do, a 3.1 does not anything more over a 2.1.

I removed the center last night during football, and the sound seems more rich, but thats the way it should. Issue with 2.1 is, that off center viewing only gets it from one side, as opposed to dialog being centered at the tv. Once again this is not a big issue. Im gonna rerun Audyssey tonight for the 2.1 system, then watch it for a couple of weeks and a few blu-ray movies, just to see what I think. If its ok for us, I may just upgrade my fronts (and maybe rears) to new Klipsch Icon or Reference series speakers. Going to be an experment for now.

I actually built a lift for my TV to sit on and kept my front speaker sitting on the cabinet. Now the speaker sits directly below and flush with my TV screen.

Thanks, this was an idea too, I love seeing pics of what others have done.

I've seen stands designed to mount the CC on your TV, sorry I don't have a link.

Depends on the TV. I looked at my Toshiba and tried to construct a shelf that hooked to the back. I finally gave up and used two closet shelf brackets and let the front be supported by the TV.

I agree though. For some reason it sounds better with the center above the TV.

Sitting on the floor is usually a bad idea because of floor reflections. My center sits atop of my Sony RPTV and is angled down towards the listener.

When I upgraded my 34" CRT to a 46" flat panel last month, I bought $150 Yamaha center speaker which had a low 4" height that could be placed directly in front of the new flat panel on top of the TV stand, as my previous JBL center, which I had sitting on top of the CRT, was more like 7" tall. (My problem is, there is a window directly behind the TV set up, so mounting is not an option.)

Unfortunately the Yamaha AQ-wise is not quite as good as my JBL, so now I'm looking to pick up a TV stand like this one which will allow me to bring the JBL back into the living room.
Init® - TV Stand for Flat-Panel TVs Up to 50" or Tube TVs Up to 42" - Brown - NT-WGM001

Speaking of ghetto: my 32" bedroom TV sits atop an IKEA table and underneath it I've placed my JBL center on top of a dorm-room style black milk crate I picked up at Office Depot...another reason to upgrade my living room stand, so I can put the old one in the bedroom!

Here's my mounting system

I mounted simple shelf brackets (from Lowes) on the wall behind the TV and put the center speaker on a 12" wide shelf at the top, aligned with the top of the TV. In my case it's a Paradigm CC-290. That sucker weighs 32 lbs, so having a sturdy mount was not trivial! I have the speaker moved out form the wall by about 1" to allow the bass ports some room to breathe. I actually have 2 other 10" wide shelves below the one holding the speaker to store accessories, like the missing speaker grilles and boxes containing cables, etc. and all the system paperwork. The total investment for brackets and pre-fab shelves was about $20. A wife/S.O. would totally disagree with this kind of arrangement, but at present I don't have one! Any future acquisition will have to "get with the plan"...!

(Note the "redneck TV stand"...!! I still have to find the ultimate piece to help consolidate my equipment and mount the TV. I might have to have a custom piece built...once I design it...)

Attachments

• HT 1.JPG
    HT 1.JPG
    459.9 KB · Views: 436
I put simple shelf brackets on the wall behind the TV and put the center speaker on a 12" wide shelf at the top, aligned with the top of the TV.

Does it bother you that the mains have their tweeters significantly lower than the center? I used to have the opposite problem where the mains were higher than the center and it drove me nuts when the sound panned across the speakers and you heard that vertical dip.

To be honest, I haven't really taken notice! Maybe my speakers aren't quite as directional. I suppose I could angle the center down if it ever bothered me. As it is, when I'm hearing the voices from the center channel, I perceive them to be coming from where the image is, and in that respect there's little difference as far as imaging goes whether I have the sound coming from the system or from the TV's speakers. But I never claimed to be an audiophile!

The problem you mentioned would be the same for any center speaker high arrangement, more or less depending on the height difference vs. the fronts. I suppose one solution could be to raise the fronts. If I ever do build my ideal cabinet I'll lower the TV and thus the CS as well...

Sanus - Full-Motion Wall Mount for 30" - 50" Flat-Panel TVs - Extends 20" - Black - VMAA18b-01

Considering that. Just mount the tv in such a way its just high enough for a good size center to sit below it on top of the current tv stand. Move the ent center back as far as possible, and wham. I like the idea of it being full motion for guests.

I thought you wanted to avoid "messing up the walls" since you rent? Wasn't that the reason why you haven't got surrounds yet?

Last edited:

Ok, here's my living room setup. I built this L-Shaped box to elevate my Hitachi Plasma above my Polk SurroundBar. Before I built this lift, the speaker would sit infront of the TV and block the bottom of the TV border. Not anymore.....

Attachments

• CIMG1964.JPG
    CIMG1964.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 407
  • CIMG1965.JPG
    CIMG1965.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 374
  • CIMG1966.JPG
    CIMG1966.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 321
  • CIMG1967.JPG
    CIMG1967.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 355
  • CIMG1970.JPG
    CIMG1970.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 337
I thought you wanted to avoid "messing up the walls" since you rent? Wasn't that the reason why you haven't got surrounds yet?

Nah, ive just never had them. Was debating whether to go thru the trouble of installing them in a rental and running wires, or just upgrade the 3.1.

I like the mount you built, whole thing looks clean.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts