NFL Coaches Black Monday

Expected this. It's not that he was bad, but his system just didn't work in Cleveland and he never had, shall I say, the needed cool or enthusiastic moods a coach needs. He just limpidly went about things as if he was already going through the motions. Hopefully he can find a job as a coordinator in an NFC west-coast style system - I think that's his fit. He's just not AFC NORTH material imo.

Browns fire coach Eric Mangini!

The Cleveland Browns fired coach Eric Mangini on Monday after his second straight 5-11 season.

"This decision was not easy for me, and it was one into which I put a great deal of thought," Browns president Mike Holmgren said in a statement. "Although we have made improvements this season, my responsibility is to ensure that we establish a program that will allow this team to compete at a championship level. That will continue to be our goal in everything we do. I want to thank Eric for all of his contributions to the Cleveland Browns, and wish him and his family the best of luck in the future."

Cleveland Browns fire Eric Mangini after another 5-11 season - ESPN

I'm on the fence on this one.

On one side, the team has "improved" from last year. The games are closer and they are more disciplined. If they gained more talent through the future draft and in free agency, the team could improve even more. There's something to be said for staying the course and developing consistency in a program.

On the other side, the bottom line is that the team has won 5 games in each of the last two years. Last year was highlighted by 4 straight wins to end the season. This year, our mid-season surge ended abruptly with a 2-6 record to end the season.

The local paper is already speculating that Mike Holmgren himself will return to the sideline next year to coach the Browns.

BEREA, Ohio -- The Browns are going heavy on offense in their first wave of interviews, with Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey and Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur set to discuss the team's head coach vacancy this week.

Holmgren's always been an offensive minded coach. It looks like he'll look for a similar minded coach as the next candidate. This spells good news for Colt McCoy....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)