NFL Coaches Black Monday

Cleveland Browns name Pat Shurmur new head coach

CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - The Cleveland Browns today named Pat Shurmur as the 13th full-time head coach in franchise history.

Shurmur's résumé includes 23 years of coaching experience, including 12 in the NFL. In those 12 seasons, he has been a part of teams that have qualified for the playoffs seven times, won five division crowns and posted one Super Bowl appearance.

Coaching wise, Shurmur is said to have a similar philosophy as Mike Holmgren. Also, since the front office will remain in tact with Homgren (Prez) and Tom Heckert (GM), this shouldn't be a complete overhaul like past coaching carousels. I also like the fact that Shurmur was the guy who helped develop Sam Bradford in St. Louis. Hopefully he'll do the same for Colt McCoy.

New Coach: Cleveland Browns name Pat Shurmur new head coach - 19 Action News|Cleveland, OH|Breaking News, Weather, Exclusives

John Fox to lead the Broncos.

John Fox named Denver Broncos head coach, charged with revival
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
The Denver Post
Posted:01/13/2011 01:09:17 PM MST

In their effort to make the long climb from their current state — arguably their lowest point in franchise history — back to their once Super Bowl-contending past, the Denver Broncos have called on the guy who has done it before.

The Broncos hired John Fox, recently of the Carolina Panthers, to be their next head coach. He signed a four-year contract.

"I am excited to announce that John Fox has agreed to terms to become the 14th head coach in Broncos history," John Elway, the team's executive vice president of football operations, stated via twitter.

"Coach Fox is a great fit for us not only with his coaching ability but also his personality. He is a dynamic and proven leader who will energize our entire organization. John has coached great defenses, turned teams around and been to Super Bowls."

Most notably, Fox inherited a Panthers' team that was 1-15 in 2001 and led it to a six-win improvement in his first season of 2002, and the Super Bowl in his second season of 2003.

Fox's nine-year reign with the Panthers, though, ended with a 2-14 record in 2010, the only team to finish worse than the Broncos' 4-12 mark.

"I am very thankful to Pat Bowlen and John Elway for giving me the opportunity," Fox said, "to coach a football team with such a proud tradition. The Broncos have a culture of winning, and I am excited to continue that legacy."

The Broncos are expected to retain offensive coordinator Mike McCoy under Fox. McCoy previously worked with Fox for seven seasons in Carolina.

Fox was selected after the Broncos had narrowed their finalists list to Houston offensive coordinator Rick Dennison and Jacksonville offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter.

"I can't wait to get to work, pushing our players to be the best they can be and representing this community as head coach of the Broncos," Fox said.

The Broncos will introduce Fox as their head coach Friday at noon.

"Welcome to Denver, coach Fox!" Tim Tebow tweeted today. "Can't wait to get to work with you!!"

Overall, Fox compiled a 73-71 (.507) regular-season record with the Panthers that included three 11-win campaigns, two NFC South Division titles and three playoff appearances.

Prior to his head coaching tenure with the Panthers, Fox spent five seasons as the defensive coordinator for the New York Giants (1997-2001). New York allowed the seventh-fewest points per game (18.7) in the NFL during that span, while also finishing fourth in the league with a plus-25 turnover differential. The Giants totaled 230 sacks in five seasons under Fox, including Michael Strahan's NFL-record 22.5 sacks in 2001.

Before serving as a consultant for the Rams in 1996, he was the defensive coordinator for the Oakland Raiders for two seasons (1994-95).

Fox got his start in the NFL as the secondary coach for Pittsburgh, where he spent three seasons (1989-91) and helped lead the Steelers' top-ranked pass defense during the 1990 season. He also spent two years as the secondary coach for the San Diego Chargers under Bobby Ross (1992-93).

Born on Feb. 8, 1955, in Virginia Beach, Va., Fox and his wife, Robin, have three sons: Matthew, Mark and Cody, and a daughter, Halle.

Who is John Fox?

Background: Longtime college defensive backs coach broke into the NFL with Steelers in 1989. Was the New York Giants' defensive coordinator under head coach Jim Fassel from 1997-2001. In nine seasons as the Panthers' head coach, Fox had five seasons of either 7-9 or 8-8, and three excellent seasons that ended with a Super Bowl appearance, NFC championship game or No. 1 playoff seed (2008).

Strengths: His experience also could help balance the relative inexperience of Elway and general manager Brian Xanders at top executive positions. His hire is good news for Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, who was Fox's assistant in Carolina from 2002-08.

Concerns: After grinding through the stress of nine years as an NFL head coach, would Fox, who turns 56 next month, have benefited from taking a year off to recharge?

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com.

Coaching wise, Shurmur is said to have a similar philosophy as Mike Holmgren. Also, since the front office will remain in tact with Homgren (Prez) and Tom Heckert (GM), this shouldn't be a complete overhaul like past coaching carousels. I also like the fact that Shurmur was the guy who helped develop Sam Bradford in St. Louis. Hopefully he'll do the same for Colt McCoy.

New Coach: Cleveland Browns name Pat Shurmur new head coach - 19 Action News|Cleveland, OH|Breaking News, Weather, Exclusives

So what happened to John Gruden being predicted to be the next Browns coach?:confused:

70-30 in favor on the Denver Post poll, 70-30 against on sports radio....... I think most are just happy it's not McDaniels, but still leery.

LOL! That is crazy how different the poll is from one to another. That is why ALL polls are useless unless determining toilet paper or breakfast cereal....

70-30 in favor on the Denver Post poll, 70-30 against on sports radio....... I think most are just happy it's not McDaniels, but still leery.

That's the nature of sports radio...the unhappy ones tend to take the time to call to vent. The Denver Post poll is a much better barometer because it's a more fair and much larger sampling.

See, I was paying attention in Father Crowley's Statistics class at St. John's!

Sandra

Rob Ryan will interview with Cowboys for DC spot

Rob Ryan, apparently no longer wanted in Cleveland , will interview with the Dallas Cowboys on Friday for their defensive-coordinator opening, two NFL sources said tonight.
Ryan has one year remaining on his contract with the Browns, but he has not been seen at the team's complex since the end of the season. He was conspicuous by his absence when new head coach Pat Shurmur was introduced today.
cowboysblog.dallasmorningnews

Hue Jackson is the new coach of the Raiders

According to Adam Schefter, Hue Jackson is the new Oakland Raider head coach.

Salsa, you can breathe a sigh of relief- it WON'T be Josh McDaniels.

Was not worried. The Raiders had no reason to hurry because Jackson was under contract either way. Probably the worst kept secret in the NFL.

AND....if I am not mistaken, aren't all the coaching positions filled up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)