NFL Ticket and DISH

Ummm...that would be NO....Isn't the DTV contract go along with the TV contracts which is another 3 years...?

Direct pays an awful lot for NFL ticket, I wouldn't expect Charlie to be in a bidding war for it. He didn't do it for MLB, he won't for NFL.

Why not? He did for NFL a while back, but my guess wasn't to buy it, but to just run the price up on Direct, which, looking at how much it is costing them, not a bad move if you ask me.

Whose to say it could not happen?

Since the current deal ends at the end of 2010, which is not far off, why wouldn't the NFL attempt to expand to as many homes as possible?

Whose to say that cable operators such as TWC and Comcast won't get into the fray?

NFL is always looking to expand it's fanbase, and also increase overall revenue's.

With the NFL's collective bargaining agreement reaching a point to where we will have a "cap free" year(unless an new agreement is reached), and the fact that the economy is going into the toilet for now(and will for the forseeable future. Get set for The Great Depression of the New millenium. Don't worry though. The world ends on Dec 12th, 2012 anyways, according to the Mayan's ;)), whose to say that DirecTV ALONE will have the money to be the exclusive rights holder of the NFL package?

And your right, people like Charlie, TWC, and Comcast could get into it and "force up" the price, just to make DirecTV pay more than what it is worth. And with the economy being the way it is, this could be a huge error on DirecTV's(Liberty? I forget the actual owners name) part, and lead to their downfall.

My guess is that by 2010, DirecTV will NOT be the sole provider of Sunday ticket. Just a guess though.

And how is that affecting Direct? They gain subs while Dish loses subs.

Which has very little to do with Sunday Ticket...
Let's see, it cost Direct $700 million a year to carry NFL Sunday ticket, that's a pretty good chunk of subs @ $249 a season to cover that cost. I hope they have enough subs buying in to cover, if not, then those who don't have Sunday Ticket get to help foot the bill.

NFL has a different commish maybe that will open up more provider coverage. The jerk (can't remember his name) who was the last one was a greedy bastard.

It would make sense to split it up with everyone for the NFL. There is a ton of money to be made if it goes with all of the providers.

It would make sense to split it up with everyone for the NFL. There is a ton of money to be made if it goes with all of the providers.
It might make sense from a subscriber perspective, but probably not from Direct's. I wonder how many subs are with Direct primarily because of ST and might be with another provider if ST was not exclusive?? In this case, exclusivity probably brings more revenue to the NFL than making it available to all...

It might make sense from a subscriber perspective, but probably not from Direct's. I wonder how many subs are with Direct primarily because of ST and might be with another provider if ST was not exclusive?? In this case, exclusivity probably brings more revenue to the NFL than making it available to all...

it's one of my reasons why i subscribed to DirecTv. I really enjoyed this past season like i never have before. worth the $$$ as long as there isn't a major price increase to sub to NFLST. if prices were to go much higher then i would probably reconsider.

If Charlie Ergen won't pay companies the additional money they're demanding to carry local stations, and won't pay Major League Baseball to carry Extra Innings, why does anyone think he'll pay the jillions of dollars the NFL is demanding to carry Sunday Ticket?

Which has very little to do with Sunday Ticket...
Let's see, it cost Direct $700 million a year to carry NFL Sunday ticket, that's a pretty good chunk of subs @ $249 a season to cover that cost. I hope they have enough subs buying in to cover, if not, then those who don't have Sunday Ticket get to help foot the bill.

If I did my math correctly, it would take a little under 3 million subscribers to break even on the $700 million figure. One thing to consider, is that $700 million isn't just to have rights to the Sunday Ticket...they have millions of dollars worth of advertising rights at stadiums and NFL broadcasts included in that total. Money well spent in my opinion. So, if they aren't making all their money on subscriptions, they are probably getting it back and then some through the marketing end of the deal.

Federal law should prohibit exclusive contracts to encourage competition.

it should also allow ala carte program purchases, no mre if you want cookies you must buy milk. those who want a package can do that too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts