Not happy with the Dish Hopper DVR

To put it in literal terms, I have a 722 and a 211 today. I feed a TV in the bedroom from the 211 via diplexers. Now, let's say I have a Hopper and 2 Joeys to feed those 3 TVs. If The Hopper dies I have 3 TVs down. If I stay the same as I am now. If the 722 or the 211 dies, I can simply rotate one or the other to my main viewing center and wait for the replacement. The argument holds well....

I admit that it would suck if your three room set up went down all at once because of the Hopper. If I swap out my 922 and 211k with the Hopper I'll run into the same problem you are talking about. Luckily I'm able to pull a receiver from my inventory and swap it out right away. The regular customer couls have an issue.

I admit that it would suck if your three room set up went down all at once because of the Hopper. If I swap out my 922 and 211k with the Hopper I'll run into the same problem you are talking about. Luckily I'm able to pull a receiver from my inventory and swap it out right away. The regular customer couls have an issue.

For sure. Have to admit, dish receivers have been rock solid. People have had problems, but the ones we have are old and still work great. Hopefully these new units will be the same.

Software-wise; well, we'll just have to see how that goes. Hopefully they learned a thing or two from the 922.

Still admit, it looks cools as hell.

Those of us who've decided we need two Hoppers anyway, with one Hopper out we'd just find ourselves a few tuners short. Granted, there's fees for that, but consider it insurance against total signal loss :)

For sure. Have to admit, dish receivers have been rock solid. People have had problems, but the ones we have are old and still work great. Hopefully these new units will be the same.

Software-wise; well, we'll just have to see how that goes. Hopefully they learned a thing or two from the 922.

Still admit, it looks cools as hell.

You're not just an optimist, but driving with rose glasses. :D

They never been "rock solid" in reality.

I was pretty excited about the Hopper when I first saw it and saw you could record 6 shows at once, then I read the fine print and that is not the case. If they would just allow my 622 and 722 to link over the network and share hard drives I would have everything I want, seem it should be possible.

Problem I see with Hopper - Only really have 3 tunners where now I have 4
Gain I would get with Hopper - Get HD on my 3rd TV that only gets SD now

PTAT - I just don't get it. Record a bunch od stuff you don't want to get maybe one or two shows you do want. Then if I read it correct you only have it for 8 days? I haven't seen anyone else mension that, but they would be no good for us, heck it might be a month before we watch a recorded show some times. PTAT is advertising hype and not really real world useful I don't think.

I went to CES last week and saw the Dish Hopper first hand, and im not really impressed as compaired to what Directv has to offer with the HR34 home media server.

Here is what I like about it...

#1 The Prime Time anytime is a great feature. Considering it can record 4 shows from a single Tuner is great. I like the fact it records everything in prime time, which takes all the hassle out of setting up a timer to begin with.

#2 I like the guide format and the way the menu's are displayed

#3 I like the larger hard drive.

Here is what I don't like about it..

#1 The receiver only has 3 Tuners. For a 1 or 2 Television household I don't see this as being much of an issue. The problem when you add 3, 4 or 5 Televsions to this setup, you become very limited in the amount of things you can watch live, and the more shows you have recording in the background the even more limited this DVR becomes.

Granted you can add another Hopper, but with DISH Networks track record on additional receiver outlet fees, I bet we are looking at an additional $20 per month, not to mention another few hundred dollars upfront.

#2 From a sales point, this is where they are going to get all their complaints. This is very difficult to explain to people, to get them to understand the entire 3 tuner concept with multiple TV's. I can see the sales people selling this now telling customers just to add another Joey box, but when the customer has got 2 shows recording on the DVR they are not going to understand why they can't watch something different on their 3 other TV's in their home.

#3 The thing where you can "Hop On" an existing TV program in another room is going to piss alot of people off. If im in my bedroom at 1AM watching Bikini Girls gone wild on Cinemax, I do not want anyone else in my house knowing what im watching on TV, or hopping on my program and watching it with me.

Granted this works great for parents seeing what their kids are watching, but this is going to ruin the privacy for alot of customers. If a huspand who has a wife thats offended by that kind of stuff, the second the wife gives her huspand crap over it, is when the huspand cancels DISH Network and switches to Directv.

I've seen that Dish will have a way for viewing to be blocked from others when using two Hoppers.

PTAT - I just don't get it. Record a bunch od stuff you don't want to get maybe one or two shows you do want. Then if I read it correct you only have it for 8 days? I haven't seen anyone else mension that, but they would be no good for us, heck it might be a month before we watch a recorded show some times. PTAT is advertising hype and not really real world useful I don't think.

If you use the PTAT and that's optional, if you see a program that you want to save past the 8 days, your supposed to be able to move over to your portion of the internal hard drive.
If the possible pricing posted in a different thread is correct, the pricing of a 2nd Hopper would be the same as a Joey. That would give you 6 Dish tuners accessible from any TV attached to either the Hopper or Joey. In my case, once the ota tuner is released, I would go with 2 Hoppers and 2 or 3 Joeys. I have 1 hdtv that rarely gets used. If I could the have the coax run to that TV and just move one of the Joeys when I wanted to watch TV, I would go the 2/2 route.

I have 1 hdtv that rarely gets used. If I could the have the coax run to that TV and just move one of the Joeys when I wanted to watch TV, I would go the 2/2 route.

You just described my house exactly (except we're debating if we can get away with ONE Joey, but I think we'll need two for when the in-laws are visiting)

If you use the PTAT and that's optional, if you see a program that you want to save past the 8 days, your supposed to be able to move over to your portion of the internal hard drive.
If the possible pricing posted in a different thread is correct, the pricing of a 2nd Hopper would be the same as a Joey. That would give you 6 Dish tuners accessible from any TV attached to either the Hopper or Joey. In my case, once the ota tuner is released, I would go with 2 Hoppers and 2 or 3 Joeys. I have 1 hdtv that rarely gets used. If I could the have the coax run to that TV and just move one of the Joeys when I wanted to watch TV, I would go the 2/2 route.

Does anyone know for sure that two Hoopers will talk to each other and share DVR recordings back and forth, or is everyone just assuming that they will? Do I just end up with the same situation that I have now with two DVR's that can't share

MY wiring system is a bit weird. The home distribution goes to the TV that is rarely watched. However, the composite out from TV2 goes to a VCR. The coax outs from the vcr feeds 2hdtv and 1 sd lcd sd TV. One of those TV's is in my computer room. That is also connected to my 211 via hdmi. That way I can watch stuff that I've dvr'd on the 722 while working at the computer.

That's the way is was demonstrated at CES.

I thought that the demo at CES was a single Hopper with two Joeys. I seem to remember Scott saying that he has not seen the two hopper setup actually working yet.

To answer mopar_mudder, the two hoppers are supposed to talk with each other. That has been one of the key selling points of this Hopper/Joey system.

Does anyone know for sure that two Hoopers will talk to each other and share DVR recordings back and forth, or is everyone just assuming that they will? Do I just end up with the same situation that I have now with two DVR's that can't share

Yes. The two Hoppers will work together.

Well then as long as 2 hopper and 1 Joey is no more per month then I pay for my 622 & 722 now I will probably jump on it, if it is more I probably will just hang with what I have.

The thing that makes me wonder is if Dish will have some rule on what the customer must have in order to get a second Hopper. I'm not sure if Dish will allow a customer to get just 2 Hoppers and no Joeys. I'm thinking a customer will need to have at least a Hopper and a Joey before they can get a second Hopper. I don't know why I'm thinking it, just call it a hunch.

The thing that makes me wonder is if Dish will have some rule on what the customer must have in order to get a second Hopper. I'm not sure if Dish will allow a customer to get just 2 Hoppers and no Joeys. I'm thinking a customer will need to have at least a Hopper and a Joey before they can get a second Hopper. I don't know why I'm thinking it, just call it a hunch.

This is what I am also wondering. We are also wondering if the first Joey is included in the price. If so then why not take the Joey if it is free and then just get the second Hopper? If they want to charge for the first Joey then thats $17 in fees vs. $6 that they are charging now and that is a big increase.

Recording and remote viewing on joey question

audio line out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts