Not happy with the Dish Hopper DVR

We live full-time in our RV but it really isn't camping. The Hopper will be a boon for us because the bedroom TV was limited to SD off of the current 722K. That is currently served with a 612 but the recordings are not in a common pool.

We already use a set of quality switches to either use our automatic roof dish or a ground tripod unit.

Adding another Joey will give us the ability to have a HDTV in the cargo compartment for outside viewing.

For us, we are not unhappy with the Hopper and we are not even sure if PTAT will work with West Coast DNS which is HD. We are pretty sure the SD East Coast DNS won't work.

I believe Dish views the Hopper as the ideal way to eliminate account stacking. By prohibiting mixed accounts they can slowly convert the system. I would not be surprised that if you have 2 hoppers on your account they have to be able to talk to one another or the second one refuses to work.

I would not be surprised that if you have 2 hoppers on your account they have to be able to talk to one another or the second one refuses to work.

That would ruin the reliability aspect of having two Hoppers and return us to the single point of failure for all TVs in the house.

You would honestly they would not care for the few of us willing to deal with whatever it takes to get a hopper and keep our old equipment that is just more money for them I'm willing to pay the premium. Every time the Dish guy comes to my house he just shakes his head and goes what is wrong. You have more TV's then anyone else. Except some basketball star he deals with in southern Illinois who has 26. I'm sure in Chicago's territory people have a lot more but I digress. I have said it once I will say it again people are willing to pay a premium to have what they want now I don't know if I will go as far as to have two accounts that seems a little ridiculous I don't want two bills for the same service to my home. And I do have two satellites that currently point at 119 and 110 and 1 that points at 129 so hell adding a fourth really doesn't matter me you can't see them anyway there on the back of the house hidden. I can deal with a call from dish, once in a while making sure all my boxs are at home. So as ending once again DISH give me what you always have great customer service and solid tv, If I have to pay for TV at least It always works with Dish. No one ever had such a great service record with me.;

Heck if your just watching recorded shows you wouldn't even need a dish, and if you did a 1k2 or 1k4 with the node/switch mounted to back of dish and it would be business as usual.
Your quite right for shows in the DVR, but I can tell you for a fact the an EHD won't work unless the receiver is "online" with at least one satellite that shows the receiver is owned by a current customer with his account in good standing.

First trip I just put the shows on an EHD and on the first evening decided to just go to bed and watch TV and setup the Dish in the morning. The EHD wouldn't connect. I thought my setup was bad but the next day after setting up the dish and watching some tv I decided to trouble-shoot the EHD. Of course then it worked flawlessly. Just to check I disconnected the dish RG6 and rebooted and no EHD.

(By the way, word to the wise: Your EHD library is usable only as long as you're a Dish customer.:eek:)

I believe Dish views the Hopper as the ideal way to eliminate account stacking. By prohibiting mixed accounts they can slowly convert the system. I would not be surprised that if you have 2 hoppers on your account they have to be able to talk to one another or the second one refuses to work.

That's not going to happen.

That is the way I remember why the dual tuner models had to be connected to a phone line. When they call in at night the Dish computer checks the phone number the call is coming from. And blocking caller ID doesn't work with 800 service where the company has to pay for the call. They have the right to see who's calls they are paying for.

I also wanted to say the Dish Network Executive Resolution Team is not there, just to sit on there butts. So if enough people call them annoyed they will do something about this when the thing comes out. I have found them very helpful in the past. Whoever they are, where ever they are they seem to have more power then most people at dish network, they can do just about anything. So if your willing to spend the time on the phone for about at least an hour to get to them to at least complain it could be well worth your time. It is always amazing what a small group of people can do. They gave me a free 722 right after I upgraded the first one and all kinds free crap that loyalty could not do. They ended up fixing the initial problem too but it was worth the free stuff :)

Last edited:
I also wanted to say the Dish Network Executive Resolution Team is not there, just to sit on there butts. So if enough people call them annoyed they will do something about this when the thing comes out. I have found them very helpful in the past. Whoever they are, where ever they are they seem to have more power then most people at dish network, they can do just about anything. So if your willing to spend the time on the phone for about at least an hour to get to them to at least complain it could be well worth your time. It is always amazing what a small group of people can do. They gave me a free 722 right after I upgraded the first one and all kinds free crap that loyalty could not do. They ended up fixing the initial problem too but it was worth the free stuff :)
Wow. That gives me some hope! In the mean time I hope all the complaining over a possible future problem might stop it before it happens.

This doesn't count so much though.... Unless Dish actually reads it and does something about which is doubtful. Phone calls on the other hand work well as long as you get transferred back to the US.... And yes I love reading this site with the same questions over and over and over again nobody ever seems to read all 97 pages of a thread for some reason so the same dumb question gets asked and answered like 30 times.:) Its not anyones fault of the forums its just the people that posts don't bother to look first. I feel sorry for the people that have to answer the same question over and over. You guys have the same problem as dish network does LOL "Does your remote have fresh batteries":rolleyes:

Last edited:
This doesn't count so much though.... Unless Dish actually reads it and does something about which is doubtful...
What about the DIRT members?

The fact that they read and comment on posts is proof they at least read our posts. This is what they are paid to do.

Don't be a gloomy gus. There is hope. I don't know how much, but there is hope. There are some people at Dish who are aware of our concerns.

What about the DIRT members?

The fact that they read and comment on posts is proof they at least read our posts. This is what they are paid to do.

Don't be a gloomy gus. There is hope. I don't know how much, but there is hope. There are some people at Dish who are aware of our concerns.

ok I will hold a teensy bit of hope. LoL

On dishes website under the taiigater tab there is frequently asked questions that specifically states no mixing vip equipment with hopper setups. Whether or not its true it is in black print on their website.
Big deal. As we've seen, there's plenty on their web site currently that's ambiguous, if not an outright lie....

The more I run my scenarios and pricing with the kangaroos it would cost me more to match what I have with two 722s. I would also need two hoppers.

When it comes time I think I am going to go the directv route and ride the new customer discounts for savings as well.

Big deal. As we've seen, there's plenty on their web site currently that's ambiguous, if not an outright lie....

My whole point of referring to their website is of course it comes straight from the horses...........well, you know. :rolleyes:

The more I run my scenarios and pricing with the kangaroos it would cost me more to match what I have with two 722s. I would also need two hoppers.

When it comes time I think I am going to go the directv route and ride the new customer discounts for savings as well.
The Dish up-link guru is going to DirecTV?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)