Now that Direct has PBS HD what are the odds Dish will follow?

jlabsher

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Lexington Park, MD
Saw on the homepage that D* has PBS locals in HD for some markets now. Does anybody think E* will follow? The lack of PBS HD has been a major sticking point with me and made me think about an antenna.

According to dishnetwork.com, Phoenix not only has ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX in HD, but also a local independent channel. Does that bother you?
Yes it does. Dish need to worry about getting Everyone the Big 4 before PBS HD. and What about everyone that doesn't have CW, or MY Network in HD.
PBS is lame. Sorry:sleeo

I understand what you're saying about the "Big 4". I think you'll run into varying opinions on PBS vs. CW vs. My Network vs. Ind. Personally, if I still lived in Phoenix, I'd be happy they added that particular independent channel (KTVK) before PBS, CW, or My. I couldn't even tell you the channel numbers for Phoenix PBS, CW or MY, but I used to watch KTVK rather often.

If I were forecasting the long-term viability of satellite TV, I would point out this issue as a serious looming problem with their business model. The issue I speak of is the fact that neither Dish or DirecTV has the bandwidth to adequately feed all local-in-local channels in High Def, while their competitors (digital cable, FIOS) will not have any trouble. The fact that Dish has not reached an agreement to carry a national PBS feed, and would seriously struggle to carry the dozens and dozens of LIL PBS Hi Def stations, is just the beginning of the problem. The same issue will repeat with CW affiliates, and all the other various independents, and all the digital subchannels in local markets. My local PBS station has four subchannels. Will Dish carry ever these? Not likely. One solution (which I use) is to rely upon OTA reception of all those misc DTV channels. It works for me, 'cuz I'm a tech geek, but most people these days have no idea what an OTA antenna is ;)

I doubt that Dish will carry PBS HD until they can either carry one national feed for all customers or are required to do so by law as they are now for the SD version.

That is, unless PBS pays Dish to be carried. Then they will fall all over themselves to put it up.

With all due respect to those with the poor or no OTA...I say if you can get OTA, than use the OTA and end your misery.

I readily admit that I may be geographically spoiled in this regard, and I'm certainly not trying to stir the pot. My only point is that if you can get it...use it...and you won't regret it...

Yes it does. Dish need to worry about getting Everyone the Big 4 before PBS HD. and What about everyone that doesn't have CW, or MY Network in HD.

awwww..... Atleast you got SD locals. I'm near the largest and oldest cities in the United States and guess what? Dish and Direct does not carry any of my local area channels in SD or HD. If it wasn't for an address "change" that put me in the Philly market, I would be clueless about whats happening in the nation. If I want to know whats going on around me, I got to read the newpaper. Back in the 1800s here baby. I'm not in the middle of no where...

3089140b581a901e89813acqe3.jpg

PBS refuses to allow a National HD feed (presumably for the same reason as FOX and ABC, namely to protect the local affiliates).

The FCC has mandated that DirecTV and Dish carry all HD channels in any market that they carry any local HD channels. However, they have allowed them to phase this in over several years, and require a certain percentage of markets each year on Feb 17th - I believe the first target in early 2010 is 25 or 30%.

So, Dish Network will have local PBS HD in 25-30% of its HD markets in about 15 months from now.

I think that the successful deployment of Ciel-2 at 129 in January will allow Dish to add more HD channels per market, especially since some of the CONUS 129 markets will likely be moved to the new spotbeams, such as Los Angeles.

They could take two strategies:
- Either uplink all local HD channels in the biggest markets like L.A. and N.Y. for marketing reasons, OR
- Uplink all local HD channels in the smallest markets first, because they have many less HD channels.

Only time will tell which strategy they will adopt.

awwww..... Atleast you got SD locals. I'm near the largest and oldest cities in the United States and guess what? Dish and Direct does not carry any of my local area channels in SD or HD. If it wasn't for an address "change" that put me in the Philly market, I would be clueless about whats happening in the nation. If I want to know whats going on around me, I got to read the newpaper. Back in the 1800s here baby. I'm not in the middle of no where...

3089140b581a901e89813acqe3.jpg
I hate to tell you I think Allentown Pa only has 2 channels that come out of it. 1 is independent,the other PBS. I'm pretty sure Philly DMA carries those . I don't even think Reading Has any locals. So I don't quite get what the little blue boxes are.

No the CW and most nework TV is lame, sorry. I don't know the last time I watched more than one show in a row on network TV. Kind of like buying a car from Detroit, if you make crap don't expect people to buy it. PBS has Masterpiece Theater, Nova & the travel shows. Now that Voom is gone I miss that kind of stuff in HD.

I'm at the 60 mile mark from DC so OTA would be pushing it - althought I'd probably get stuff from the eastern shore of MD or Norfolk easier than DC OTA because it is coming over water instead of land. But with OTA you don't get the progam guide - that sucks.

I know that OTA you get sub channels and the missus could get radio too, and if I could do if for around $100 it would pay for itself in about a year, doing away with the $5.99 local fee.

I know that PBS was being a butt in negotiations with sat providers and that was why neither one had PBSHD, something must have changed and let D* to get PBSHD, now hopefully E* will follow.

What about everyone that doesn't have CW, or MY Network in HD.

What shows or programming are of such great importance that they would need this one small, insignificant network(CW), if you can even call it a network, and whatever the hell "MY Network" is, before they would bring the 4th original REAL network, PBS?

Last edited: