Question about Fox Sport Midwest and St. Louis Cardinals

treyday

Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
southwest Missouri
Hello, I am living in Southwest Missouri and would like to watch the St. Louis Cardinal games. They are shown on FSWM but are blacked out in my area. Will this be the case this year also? Our local cable company shows the games on FSWM without blackouts. Thanks in advance for your help.

The cardinals games are carried on FS Midwest in southwest Missouri. They are not blacked out.

I know it is hard to believe but Dish Network honestly DOES black out the Cardinal games where I live, which is just north of Joplin. My neighbor, who has cable, is able to watch every single game on Fox Sports Midwest while I get to look at a black screen. I can't get a straight answer from Dish Network or FSMW as to why this happens. Its just very frustrating.

Also note when you get outside of the "main" area for the team the network can charge a different rate and Dish may or not pick it up. We have something like that here in Minnesota.
In Northeastern and Southeastern MN its claimed by both the Twins and Brewers. Directv gives you both while Dish only gives you the Twins. They decided not to pay the little bit extra to allow the games in that market

by the way, I used a zip in the vicinity of the OP (Webb City) on the D* site (just for argument) where it shows what teams you get and they get both Cards and Royals

The 64870 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro teams. With HD Access select channels and teams available in HD are noted below:

With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or MÁS ULTRA or above):

FS Midwest HD (Ch. 671) - HD Available
# Cardinals (HD Available)
# Royals (HD Available)
# St. Louis Blues (HD Available)

I can't get a straight answer from Dish Network or FSMW as to why this happens. Its just very frustrating.

I would hazard a guess that FSN MW charges a different rate for the "extended" coverage to that area and Dish decided not to pay it. Do you get the Royals games?

Thanks for all the help. Yes, I get the Royals games but not the Cardinal games. What frustrates me the most is that the cable subscribers in my same area get the Cardinals on the same channel which I can not receive it. And just to let you know why I am hesitant to switch to cable......our cable provider does not have HD or DVR available. Would it be possible for me to give Dish Network a zip code that is in the home network for the Cardinals even though it is not my exact zip? Just a thought.

yep. Its called "moving" but there are a couple things. Basically you tell dish you "moved" and there was already the dish set up and you just need to change the physical address on the account. Do a search here. Lots of threads on it.

But be aware that you will lose the existing locals you have. Looking at a map the row of counties in the Joplin area if you go one country east you're now in the Springfield market. See the attached link
http://www.dishuser.org/TVMarkets/Maps/missouri[1].gif

You could maybe even move to St Louis area but then you'd lose the ability to see the Royals

also we dont know how far east you'd have to "move" to truly get the Cards since DIsh doesn't provide that info like DIrectv does. According to the maps provided above (the 2nd link from Dish) they "claim" you're covered but you have proven that otherwise

I appreciate all the help. Thanks Iceberg and JeffMo. I just don't understand how a big company like Dish Network can not carry the games out of network and a small cable company and Directv can. Very frustrating.

By the way, Ice. I don't want you to have to do tons of work, but I have searched this forum for threads on it and couldn't find any helpful ones. Do you have any specific links? Thanks in advance.

Here in SW Oklahoma, I get fox sports sw, which is Texas Rangers. With the sports pack, I pick up all the Cards games and Royals games.

Interesting, Uhlesses. Another thing I find interesting about this matter is that when I subscribed to the sports packages in an attempt to be able to watch the Cardinals when they were playing in another network, they were also blacked out. AND if the Cardinals happen to be playing on ESPN and the game is also on FSMW, it is blacked out on both ESPN and FSMW.

AND if the Cardinals happen to be playing on ESPN and the game is also on FSMW, it is blacked out on both ESPN and FSMW.
That pretty much proves you're in Cards territory but E* is not paying extra $ to get you game content on FSMW. The rule is if the game is locally available then the ESPN (or WGN, TBS, etc) national feed has to be blacked out, regardless or whether or not your TV provider has the local feed (in this case FSMW). Cards games would also be blacked out if you subscribe to MLB.tv, because in theory you can get it on a local network. Also, you cannot watch your local team on the visitor's team network (that applies even with D*).

I wonder if things will change for Iowa this year, last year I think they were still getting the 6 teams they're supposed to. I can tell you right now they get the NBA and NHL teams in their territory
(Wolves,Bulls, Blackhawks, Wild and Blues).

As per "moving" check this thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...nt-pa-locals-instead-ny.html?highlight=locals

If you go that route, remember, the less you have to explain the better. If it doesn't work, just close the chat window and try again.

That pretty much proves you're in Cards territory but E* is not paying extra $ to get you game content on FSMW.
yep sounds like it. I know Dish did the same thing with the Blues too. The Blues moved games from OTA (channel 11 I think) to FSN MW and those games cost the providers more. Dish didnt pay so Dish subs missed out on like 20 games. They did the same thing with FSN SW and the Dallas Stars. With MLB every square inch of the US is claimed by a team...even if there isnt a team for 500 miles. The further you are from a team the odds it may cost more for a provider to carry those games.

The rule is if the game is locally available then the ESPN (or WGN, TBS, etc) national feed has to be blacked out, regardless or whether or not your TV provider has the local feed (in this case FSMW).
yep. Ask folks in Philly or San Diego where neither sat provider carries the RSN

I wonder if things will change for Iowa this year, last year I think they were still getting the 6 teams they're supposed to. I
yeah last year they did get 6 teams. Got a buddy who is in Cedar Rapids and got all 4 teams (Twins, Brewers, White Sox, Cubs, Royals, Cards). Bolded are in base pack, rest are via sports pack

I've wondered about Dish and sports ever since we got it. In Indiana, we had two Fox Sports channels. One was for the Cardinals. You could see everything except the games. I often wondered why they even bothered. On the other, we got the Reds games. Why Reds instead of Cubs or Tigers? I don't know. Chicago is actually closer.

What bugs me even more is when the Tigers play on ESPN. Those games are almost always blacked out. I've been told that it is because the local OTA Detroit station is broadcasting the game. If I'm not in the Detroit area, that doesn't help me at all. And then other days I can watch the Cubs or Braves on three different stations at the same time. Go figure.

I feel your pain. It is frustrating. But Direct TV might not be much better. My dad signed up withe them because he wanted to see all the Yankees games (he lives in Indiana too). He soon found that many of the games on Yes and MSG are also blacked out. He wondered why he was paying extra to get these channels when they were not showing the games (he purchased what they said he needed to be able to see all of the Yankees games). I have resigned myself to say that whatever games I get beyond OTA TV are just icing on the cake. But MLB also needs to realize that my interest in MLB has decreased because I am not seeing any games. I grew up in Chicago and saw almost every White Sox and Cubs game. Went to college and lived in Cincinnati and saw every Reds game. Moved to NE Indiana and used to see a lot of Tigers games on the CBS affiliate. Then OTA baseball pretty much dried up except for the Fox game of the week on Saturdays.

Hope the OP can figure out a way to see the Cardinals games.

MLB and other professional leagues black out telecasts of games outside their designated market areas. In those areas you would need a premium package such as Major League Baseball Extra Innings to view games such as the Yankees in Indiana.

If you are fortunate enough to live in a zip code where market areas overlap, you may be able to view those teams' games by adding the Sports Pack in DirecTV or Multi-Sport Pack in DISH Network. But this depends on whether the regional sports network in question has contracted with the provider to allow those telecasts in the gray-area zip codes. Apparently, DirecTV has made those agreements while DISH may not have.

I'm not familiar with the DISH website, but to see what teams you can view in your zip code on DirecTV go to this link.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)