Questions about future upgrade

BradleyD

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Edited because of garys post....

I am getting a new receiver for SD (722k) for the time being, but I am planning to upgrade fairly soon to HD. I am trying to figure out how I will configure the house internet connectivity and have some questions for 2 tv's on different floors.

I would like to ditch the 722k and isolate the 2 HWS and have no Joeys as I do not want to share DVRs or tuners.

1. Can one HWS use an ethernet connection and the other receiver HWS use WiFi to connect to the internet? From what I understand, 2 HWS can connect individually to a WiFi network or to an ethernet network. Thus, I figure one should be able to use WiFi for one with the other using ethernet, but want to make sure before I start configuring my network. My question is a based on the fact that the 2 receivers would connect to DISH using one WAN IP address. Internally, the WiFi would be on a separate subnet that cannot access the ethernet network (isolated), thus a separate connection for each is needed. In other words....the receivers would be totally isolated from each other in all aspects. Note: I don't want to run ethernet to the WiFi location (plaster and fine wood panel walls inside, stucco on the outside) aside from other reasons, but I want both receivers to be able to access DISH for On Demand, updates, sling, etc. even simultaneously, but be totally isolated.

2. On my router, does port forwarding and or UPnP or DMZ have to be configured? It seems that one of these methods had to be used in the past, but aren't necessary now (forum posts here at SG from 2012), but I want to confirm. I would prefer not to have to do this because 1) I can only DMZ on one IP and 2) UPnP is too insecure for my tastes 3) I need port 443 for something else.

3. From the thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/2-hopper-with-sling-install.303441/, it seems that at some point, 2 HWS on a duo node would not see each other which is what I want. Is that still the case or do they each see the other now because of a software update and I will need isolators? I am trying to get an idea of what will probably be used because I need to know how many holes/screws I am going to have in the stucco outside.

Thanks

Last edited:
Before anyone answers your question about setup, you will need to consider what receivers you will be using since Dish will not allow Hoppers on the same account with a 722. If you want the Hopper, you can only have an owned 211 with it. Dish will also require their techs setup the wiring unless you are doing a self install with owned Hoppers as well.

Reactions: BradleyD
Thanks garys. My original post is edited. I would definitely have DISH techs run the wire. I still want to know what type of nodes, etc. because of the stucco.

If the hoppers are on the same node, they will see eachother. You would need two seperate nodes altogether. Also, because of the limitations, you would need a switch, as you wouldn't be able to use the Dish switch in the LNB the normal way(2 tuners per port). Lastly, if you have them seperated on two seperate nodes, you would be able to connect both to Ethernet, or both to wifi, or both a mix. There would be no MOCA network for them to compete with. As mentioned above, you would not be able to have a 722 on an account with hoppers, and only up to 2 211's that are owned(they may have bumped it to three but I couldn't find any literature for three last time I looked).

Reactions: BradleyD
Thanks ChadT41. Good info.

Given what you said about the separate nodes and limitations, it seems that it would just be easier to use a duo node and be done with it. I can live with the Hoppers seeing each other. Also, DISH says I could have a 612 along with a Hopper.

I would be careful with what they say about it. I would ask for proof or documentation. I'm not saying that rule hasn't changed, but I haven't heard a single person say anything about it here, and that would be incredibly weird not to. Sometimes, as much as it pains me to say, reps talk out their backsides to keep people from being mad at them. Best bet, get verification from a DIrT member. If they say it, then you can almost count on its accuracy.

By them seeing eachother, you would still hve to purposefully open the second hopper through a drop down every time. If too many tuners used, it will ask if you want to move the recording to the other hopper, but that's about the only issue you should run into, at which point you will also only need one connected to the Internet to have Internet on both. A duo node would be what you are looking for.

I have said that to them several times and not been told no. I have also read here at SG where people have done it through DISH as well as retailers. I have also asked a couple of forum questions regarding having 2 hoppers and no joeys and not been told that it is unacceptable.

It boils down to this, there is no reason that I cannot do it because others have. Additionally, if DISH wants my business and I want 2 DVR machines for 2 TV's, then I will get them or DISH may very welll lose a customer who has been with them for around 14 years.

You can have both Hoppers on the same node. Just use an isolator on one of them and they won't see each other. The isolator blocks the MoCA and is a lot easier and cheaper than having a switch and 2 nodes.

Reactions: ChadT41
You can have both Hoppers on the same node. Just use an isolator on one of them and they won't see each other. The isolator blocks the MoCA and is a lot easier and cheaper than having a switch and 2 nodes.

That would be good, but I thought you have to use 2 isolators, not just one.

I completely forgot about Isolators....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)