Questions about The Hopper?

Update:
Yes when I called Dish tech , they send some kind of signal to my receiver and it fixed the problem
now the phone test says ok and caller Id works on the Hopper and the 2 Joeys.

Does anyone know how to disable the banner screen that comes up on your Hopper or Joey when you press tv button on your remote , to remind you to press sat button on the hopper and Joeys ?

Update:
Got a pm from Dirt member Matt on finding this setting
menu>settings>diagnostics>mode reminder
Thanks Matt

Last edited:
rlee22 said:
Does anyone know how to disable the banner screen that comes up when you press tv button on your remote , to remind you to press sat button on the hopper and Joeys ?

Try going into the remote settings and disable limited mode.

isaacmorseMI said:
Will Dish get a software update out this week fixing some of the early reported bugs?

LOL. Don't count on it. This is coming from someone who's owned the very first DVR, the very first HD receiver, the very first HD DVR, the first ViP, and the 922. We are all beta testers!

LOL. Don't count on it. This is coming from someone who's owned the very first DVR, the very first HD receiver, the very first HD DVR, the first ViP, and the 922. We are all beta testers!

I've never gotten a receiver so soon after release as the Hopper / Joey system.... Even though the system is not totally finished yet, I am still really looking forward to it...

isaacmorseMI said:
I've never gotten a receiver so soon after release as the Hopper / Joey system.... Even though the system is not totally finished yet, I am still really looking forward to it...

It seems very polished. Probably since a lot of it was used in the 922. If they come through with the promised updates, it will be top notch.

One HIC will give internet access to both Hoppers, but if you connect ethernet directly to the Hoppers you will need to connect ethernet to both until full integration is enabled
I can confirm this from my install. When ethernet connected to just to Hopper1, then Hopper2 could not see internet. Tech started talking about wireless and I "persuaded" him into trying out a HIC. Both Hoppers could see internet once the HIC was in place.

In this testing it also showed the Joey inherited the status of the linked-to Hopper. When only Hopper1 could see internet, then the Joeys linked to Hopper1 could see it. If I switched the Joey's link over to Hopper2, then the Joey could not detect internet. No real surprise here, just points out how dependent upon the Hopper the Joey is.

I don't remember if the question was asked in this thread or another but you can "join" the PTAT on a Joey and watch a different PTAT event on the Hopper and only be using one tuner in the process. Very nice!

I don't remember if the question was asked in this thread or another but you can "join" the PTAT on a Joey and watch a different PTAT event on the Hopper and only be using one tuner in the process. Very nice!
Yes. I only have two Joeys, but both Joeys and the Hopper can be watching "live" PTA events only taking a single tuner, leaving two tuners available for non-pta recording.

JM42 said:
Yes. I only have two Joeys, but both Joeys and the Hopper can be watching "live" PTA events only taking a single tuner, leaving two tuners available for non-pta recording.

Someone had asked us to try it out and confirm. I couldn't find their original post at first, but I found it.

So ptat doesn't seem to allow you to watch a live show pause it, start watching another show either ptat or other pause it, then resume from the pause points. Which is a major let down. Or am I doing it wrong.

johnner1999 said:
So ptat doesn't seem to allow you to watch a live show pause it, start watching another show either ptat or other pause it, then resume from the pause points. Which is a major let down. Or am I doing it wrong.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't resume pause points on two shows that were recording in the 922. It may be a limitation in the software.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't resume pause points on two shows that were recording in the 922. It may be a limitation in the software.

it's the small stuff like this that D* seems to have addressed with its DVR line... I am more use to it so maybe thats it. But my wife (who typically doesn't "care" has noticed this issue and the ease of "protecting" that is what I think E* calls it (saving a show from being deleted

I haven't seen this question raised yet. It appears that PTAT recordings can not be transferred to the EHD. I have set up timers on top of the PTAT timers so the programs are also visible in My Recordings. I am assuming that I will be able to transfer the programs after they drop off the PTAT list. Is this correct?

This may have been posted, but for those interested in OTA, there are printed marks on the rear panel of the Hopper where you might think a module would plug in, like the 722k. Not a punch-out, but a start I guess.

I haven't seen this question raised yet. It appears that PTAT recordings can not be transferred to the EHD. I have set up timers on top of the PTAT timers so the programs are also visible in My Recordings. I am assuming that I will be able to transfer the programs after they drop off the PTAT list. Is this correct?

I believe there are only 2 options for the PTAT recordings. The drive in the Hopper or just left to 'time out' in 8 days.

This may have been posted, but for those interested in OTA, there are printed marks on the rear panel of the Hopper where you might think a module would plug in, like the 722k. Not a punch-out, but a start I guess.

OTA is supposed to be USB.