Questions about The Hopper?

I haven't yet had 2 external disks connected. Can you transfer from external to external without going to the internal drive or do you have to transfer from external 1 to internal to external 2? I am going to be upgrading the drives in the ReadyNAS soon and was going to buy a Drobo to take the old drives from the ReadyNAS so that there's some redundancy on the constantly growing Dish library.

Cheers,

Here ya go, screen format is set to Normal....

That is much better than it looks on our SDTV. Like someone else said you can shrink the guide a little bit in the settings so it isn't cut off like that if you want. However that makes the font a little smaller and harder to read.

Here is mine shrunk....

Attachments

• guide.jpg
    guide.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 220
sissylyne said:
Is it possible to order an install with 2h/2j and then cancel 1 joey when the installer comes? I would like to order online or by phone. I believe I saw that retailers lost money on upgrades and I currently am setup by just dish.

This is exactly what I did to get my setup. It took some convincing to get the installer to change the work order, but it was well worth it.

This is exactly what I did to get my setup. It took some convincing to get the installer to change the work order, but it was well worth it.

It shouldn't take that kind of effort to get 2H/1J. Dish is really missing the boat on this one. Hope they get their stuff straight soon. Glad it worked out for you though! :)

How do you browse thru channels in Hopper without TV Viewing status prompt? It's really annoying.
Is the TV Viewing status showing that all three tuners are being used by other joeys or hopper? if so then you can either join one of the tuners or watch a recorded program or use OnDemand/blockbuster. the only time i have seen that screen pop up is when all tuners are in use.

A few random questions:

1. Does turning off the EPG banner only turn off the bottom message in the guide about PTAT or does it affect anything else?
2. Under Diagnostics it has an updates option (hours after inactivity). The User Guide says updates are at 3 AM. What updates is this function referring to?
3. Even with only the Hopper turned on and no recordings taking place two tuners are in use. I believe this is for PIP. If we start using other tuners (joey, dvr etc.) will this duplicate one just get pushed off the list?

number 2 is the inactivity standby timer setting and it really doesn't belong under updates but that is where Dish put it.

Is the TV Viewing status showing that all three tuners are being used by other joeys or hopper? if so then you can either join one of the tuners or watch a recorded program or use OnDemand/blockbuster. the only time i have seen that screen pop up is when all tuners are in use.

Sometimes it shows it to me even when other tuners are available. But even if I am using all three tuners, and I am watching one of the channel but would like to go to different channel, shouldn't it just release that tuner and move on to the next one instead of showing me TV viewing status. I think this is major bug that needs to be fixed.

I haven't yet had 2 external disks connected. Can you transfer from external to external without going to the internal drive or do you have to transfer from external 1 to internal to external 2? I am going to be upgrading the drives in the ReadyNAS soon and was going to buy a Drobo to take the old drives from the ReadyNAS so that there's some redundancy on the constantly growing Dish library.

Cheers,

I connected two external drives to my 922 and assume Hopper would support this also. Each drive shows up in the DVR list but names are automagically assigned based on the order they are discovered so it's often difficult to tell which is which.

You can use a USB hub if you run short o USB ports. Others have insisted powered hubs were necessary but passive worked fine for me, just not all models. I had troubles with the first hub I tried but a different model worked OK. Both were the really cheep ones you find on eBay.

There are 3 USB ports on Hopper (2 on back, 1 on front) so you may not need a hub especially if this is a temporary situation to move programs around.

loubon said:
A few random questions:

1. Does turning off the EPG banner only turn off the bottom message in the guide about PTAT or does it affect anything else?
2. Under Diagnostics it has an updates option (hours after inactivity). The User Guide says updates are at 3 AM. What updates is this function referring to?
3. Even with only the Hopper turned on and no recordings taking place two tuners are in use. I believe this is for PIP. If we start using other tuners (joey, dvr etc.) will this duplicate one just get pushed off the list?

1. Just turns off the banner in the guide.
2. Software/guide info updates
3. Not sure.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Forum Runner

I have a 922 now and use the 2nd TV output for a EDTV in my kitchen. Does the Hopper have a 2nd TV output? If not, is there an easy solution?

No TV 2 output. You can feed analog component or composite video along with analog audio to the kitchen TV, split the HDMI signal or modulate the composite output of Hopper. This would be the same signal ("mirror") of what's on the Hopper's main output however.

I have a 922 now and use the 2nd TV output for a EDTV in my kitchen. Does the Hopper have a 2nd TV output? If not, is there an easy solution?

There is no more TV2 output on the Hopper. It's all HD. You connect a Joey to the Hopper at each TV. If you have an hdmi input on the TV, use an hdmi cord. If not use the composite connections.

I had a 2H/3J system installed this morning. One of my hoppers had the full 8 day guide downloaded in less than 2 hours. But for some reason the other hopper still does not have a full guide. Does the download use an Ethernet connection if it's available? Because I have Ethernet hooked up to the hopper that only took 2 hours, but the other hopper doesn't have Ethernet hooked up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)