Questions about The Hopper?

What happens if you live in an area where the locals are in SD. I'm sure I'll have to "move" back for he install.

(Answer by Scott - The Prime Time Anytime feature only works in markets where HD locals are available via Satellite.)

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around why Dish would even offer a 1 Hopper 3 Joey setup. Am I right in saying that in this situation of a 4 room system only 3 people can watch live TV at a time? How stupid is that? Why not limit each hopper to 2 Joeys so all receivers can watch live programming all at the same time?

Scott, I have read all answers and have yet to see an answer on the release of the OTA.

(Answer from Scott - They have not announced a release date for OTA support yet. I wouldnt expect that until later in the year.)

Just to make sure I am understanding things right... I currently have a 722 and a single TV

- I can use my current Sling adapter with a Hopper?

- If I replace my 722 with a single Hopper/no Joeys, I will pay an extra $4 per month (on top of the current
$6 DVR fee)?

Also, is the anticipated OTA module single or dual tuner?

Thanks!
Ken

I asked this in another thread, but maybe this thread will get me the answer.

I have all my equipment in my basement and use IR to control my equipment. Will the IR on the Hoppers and Joey's just use the standard Dish network addresses? (Answer from Scott - Just Address 1 like the 922. You would want the joeys hooked to the TV's directly since now they are HD.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are all the outputs of the Hopper and Joey live? For example I have a 722 in single mode and it is connected via HDMI to an hdtv in my tv room and via rca composite to an sdtv in my livingroom. I have an ir remote in the tv room and an uhf remote in the livingroom. I never use the 2 tvs at the same time. Mostly watch in the tv room. Only use the livingroom when company comes or I want to use the fireplace. Wil a hopper or Joey be usable in the same fashion?

(Answer from Scott - Unless something has changed since CES I was told all outputs are hot. :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to make sure I am understanding things right...

- I can use my current Sling adapter with a Hopper?
(Answer from Scott - Yes your Sling Adapter will work with Hopper.)

- If I replace my 722 with a single Hopper/no Joeys, I will pay an extra $4 per month (on top of the current
$6 DVR fee)?
This is correct

Also, is the anticipated OTA module single or dual tuner?
No details have been mentioned about the OTA tuner .

Are all the outputs of the Hopper and Joey live? For example I have a 722 in single mode and it is connected via HDMI to an hdtv in my tv room and via rca composite to an sdtv in my livingroom. I have an ir remote in the tv room and an uhf remote in the livingroom. I never use the 2 tvs at the same time. Mostly watch in the tv room. Only use the livingroom when company comes or I want to use the fireplace. Wil a hopper or Joey be usable in the same fashion?

Probably yes. The chipset supports the multiple live outputs per the broadcom spec sheet, Dish has historically had all the outputs hot, trying to limit it would likely cause more support headaches than not.

Will Dish allow us to at least 'stack' the Joeys? I have 2 accounts, one at home and one for my sons @ college. Can they bring their Joeys home with them to watch TV on weekends and summers or will the Joeys be tied to a particular Hopper/account?

(ANswer from Scott - Each Joey has its own smart card built in and can only talk to the Hoppers authorized for that account. Part of the reason for Hopper and Joey is to prevent stacking which is against DISH's terms of service. :))

OK, i do have the maintenance plan and my equipment appears below - what will be my cost to upgrade to two Hoppers?

(Answer by Scott - It would be $100 for 1 hopper and up to 3 Joeys and $199 for the second Hopper.)

OK, i do have the maintenance plan and my equipment appears below - what will be my cost to upgrade to two Hoppers?

(Answer by Scott - It would be $100 for 1 hopper and up to 3 Joeys and $199 for the second Hopper.)

Any change in the monthly fees?

Answer by Scott - First Hopper would be $10 a month, Each additional Hopper and Joey would be $7 a month each.

I understand I have an up-front fee, but am I correct in assuming that these would result in a $17 INCREASE in my monthly bill?

No. Assuming the 622/722 are driving one TV each:

Current:
1st 722 - $0
622 - $17
DVR- $6
Total DVR/Equipment Fees - $23

Hopper:
1st Hopper - $0
Joey - $7
DVR+ Whole Home $10
Total DVR/Equipment Fees - $17

Folks please remember that this thread is for QUESTIONS and ANSWERS only, it is NOT a thread for discussion.

I have had to remove a number of posts which were not questions or answers but just general discussion.

If you wish to discuss any of the answers here please START A NEW THREAD.

Thanks for your understanding!

They will be shipped to dealers on March 7. (Told to me by a Dish retailer.)

Note from Scott - Incorrect, retailers will be able to start ordering (and they start shipping to retailers) on March 8th.)

Still no timeline for when existing customers can call in and order.

Will the Hopper/Joey be available in AK at launch?? The 922s were delayed up here because the software was only initally available on the conus beam from 129 (in retrospect, that was a blessing for me...I was ready to be an early adopter back then....)

I have an older HD set with a DVI-D input. Any reason to think the Joey won't work with this TV, using an HDMI > DVI cable and L+R audio? (I'm not sure if the TV is HDCP-compliant; we got it around 2002 or 2003).

Will the 2nd Hopper also have up to 3 Joeys available like the 1st one? Also, can more than 3 Joeys be tied to one Hopper?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)