Questions about The Hopper?

If I set a timer to record only new episodes of a PT show, will it use the PTAT tuner and then copy it over to the user side, leaving me with 2 copies? Can I set the beginning and end padding on the PTAT shows?

Yes, but I think there is only one actual copy (2 markers to the same file). No, PTAT is set in stone. Don't see why this may not change in the future though.

You can pad your own timers but it will probably use a second receiver if you extend beyond the 7:55 - 11:05 PTAT window.

Is there a "Dish Pass" equivalent on the Hopper?

there are several shows that I had timers for that are not on right now, but I would like to record them when the new season starts.

Do you still have 203 software? (Hit menu twice to see software version.) If you have 203, you might find that when 204 downlaods, the problem will go away.

No, I have the newest S204. However since I first posted, the guide has now populated out 8.5 days. Mike from DIRT also was in contact via PM,...thank you Mike! Don't know if perhaps I just did not wait long enough after I unplugged the box for 10 seconds or if it is a coincidence but glad it is back to the full guide length. thanks to all who responded!

spoiler1041 said:
I guess there is a learning curve here.....

Skipped use to mean the show was a rerun so you knew if there was something good to watch that night.
Now skipped may still mean it's a new show but labeled skipped due to PTAT making you look deeper to find out, that kinda sucks.
I could live with skipped if there was a different color for "Not new" and "PTAT".

I really hope DISH changes this over time so that you don't have to "show skipped" to see timers you set that are also recorded by PTAT because showing skipped also shows a lot of garbage and if you hide skipped it really gives you no clue what will record in user space.

I really hope DISH changes this over time so that you don't have to "show skipped" to see timers you set that are also recorded by PTAT because showing skipped also shows a lot of garbage and if you hide skipped it really gives you no clue what will record in user space.

TOTALLY AGREE, That's why my first suggestion was to just drop PTAT from the schedule altogether and simply list our timers even if our timer is relying on PTAT.

I was just checking the Dish Channel Chart, and in OKC, all my HD locals are all on the same satellite, same transponder, same spotbeam. Not just the 4 major networks, but also PBS, CW, and Telemundo. My question is, why is PTAT limited to recording just the big 4, and not all the channels on that beam/transponder? Is it a space issue, or is there a technical reason?

I was just checking the Dish Channel Chart, and in OKC, all my HD locals are all on the same satellite, same transponder, same spotbeam. Not just the 4 major networks, but also PBS, CW, and Telemundo. My question is, why is PTAT limited to recording just the big 4, and not all the channels on that beam/transponder? Is it a space issue, or is there a technical reason?

Dish wanted to offer a uniform benefit for most users. You are correct that the programs are being received by PTAT--they are just not yet being made available. Perhaps that will change over time.

mdonnelly said:

An earlier post of mine in answer to this question:

dangue said:
Not all DMAs have more than the big 4. From a marketing perspective, it would complicate things to tell customers to refer to a website to figure out which locals are covered by PTAT in their market. Limiting it to the big four allows them to keep messaging clear and concise to consumers.

It was discussed in a post CES Hopper thread that the entire local HD TP IS recorded and that the current software only pulls out the Big 4 programming. If I remember correctly, the future expansion of PTAT to cover all HD locals on the TP was presented as a possibility by someone from Dish who fielded Hopper related questions at CES.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Another question I'm curious about is physical wiring required. What does it take for internal wiring for 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys? If I'm already wired with 2 coax throughout my house, am I set?

thanks.

joe.

Another question I'm curious about is physical wiring required. What does it take for internal wiring for 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys? If I'm already wired with 2 coax throughout my house, am I set?

thanks.

joe.

You have a coax line running to each room that you want Dish service? If you don't the tech will run them as part of the install.

Is there a way to pause a program on the Joey then continue watching it on the hopper? I would like to leave the living room and retire to the bedroom to finish watching the program in progress.

Joey location from tv

I'm planning on having the Joey in the attached garage attic for the upstairs bedroom tv. I have a 40' HDMI cable ran from the attic to the back of the tv. The existing coax feeding the tv is also in the same attic area. Is this going to be an install problem?

That is a concern I didn't think of. I'm in Erie, PA so are temps range from single digits to 80's. The garage attic is not insulated with vents in the roof. Does anyone know the operating temp range on the Joey?

I could have the Joey in the basement. I would have a 40' HDMI cable connected to a 15' HDMI extension cable to get from the Joey to the tv. What is the max length cable you can have without any problems?

I could have the Joey in the basement. I would have a 40' HDMI cable connected to a 15' HDMI extension cable to get from the Joey to the tv. What is the max length cable you can have without any problems?
That may work, but it depends a lot on the cable. I definitely would avoid that extension if I could and get the biggest gauge you could afford and the exact length you need. Also realize the remote may not reach that far either. Something that would work fine would be component from the Hopper. You can run component 100' or so before you have issues. Plus the remote range is a lot better with the Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts