SatelliteGuys Review: Logitech Revue with GoogleTV – A Diamond in the Rough

Changing the Browser name to something besides Google Chrome in the developer settings does not do anything, all the networks still block the video on the GoogleTV unit.

Forgive my ignorance.... I was just wondering how they can sabotage the Revue from working while every other PC based device out there can deal with it just fine. I'm surprised that Google hasn't just written a big check in STFU money to the networks in order for them to stop them from making the GoogleTV platform DOA. Early adopters will forgive the Version 1.0 flaws, but it will never take off until they make the revue more than just a poky browser and VOD delivery device.

Forgive my ignorance.... I was just wondering how they can sabotage the Revue from working while every other PC based device out there can deal with it just fine. I'm surprised that Google hasn't just written a big check in STFU money to the networks in order for them to stop them from making the GoogleTV platform DOA. Early adopters will forgive the Version 1.0 flaws, but it will never take off until they make the revue more than just a poky browser and VOD delivery device.

Agree, the only way this becomes successful is with access to the blocked sites. I'd have to think they have something in the works for this.

Google naively expected the content makers to embrace GoogleTV with open arms because they could offer up their content on their terms and get feedback from viewers actions. Instead, they saw it as an attack by Google to disrupt their current pay TV distribution methods. Google thought they could just throw money at them and make them happy and didn't make an effort to make good relationships with studios and let them in on the platform's development. They were totally blindsided by Google and it pissed them off. And as we already know by looking and Dish's relationship with Disney and Rainbow Media, once you get on these people's bad side. It's hard to get back on the good.

Changing the Browser name to something besides Google Chrome in the developer settings does not do anything, all the networks still block the video on the GoogleTV unit.

I read this was due to flash giving out the ID rather than the browser. If this is correct, could the gradual switch to HTML5 in place of flash start to ease this problem?

Thanks,
-Alex-

Anyone heard anything on a date for the Honeycomb update? I'd think they would forego this in favor of going directly to Ice Cream Sandwich but I'm not in charge of this stuff either :)

As for Hulu, it should be coming to GTV, one way or another. It will either be voluntarily, as they have now embraced the streaming-directly-to-TV model with their smarTV app that is popping up on virtually every smarTV device. (Google TV is just another smarTV STB, albeit a potentially more functional one.) Or, they will be acquired by Google. (Yes, that is still a possibility despite Hulu's public insistence that it is no longer for sale.)

Just noticed that the Flixster Movies App update on the Android market says added support for Google TV 2.0 ! Hope that's a sign of arriving "soon". Sorry, I had to. Soon seems to apply to Google as much as it does to Dish.

Its the same box with a sticker added to it.

According to the Logitech forum, the boxes are going out with no new software in them and the new boxes with stickers on them should not be on store shelfs yet.

I like how they call it "New and Improved" reminds me of an old George Carlin bit...

Anyone heard anything on a date for the Honeycomb update? I'd think they would forego this in favor of going directly to Ice Cream Sandwich but I'm not in charge of this stuff either :)

i have not heard they intend to go directly to Ice Cream Sandwich.

I doubt Revue will ever see ICS. I expect a cobbled together 3.1 experience, and then another new round of hardware to accompany another software revision that isn't compatible with this initial offering.

There isn't much of a difference between ICS and Honeycomb so the update would be less dramatic than going from Froyo to Honeycomb. It's not going to happen right away, but I can see it happening in the summer/fall time frame with Google showing it off in April @ Google I/O. Let them get Honeycomb out first, geez. And no... if a newer hardware spec does comes out and uses ICS it will be ported to the Revue. Either by Google/Logitech or by users. Again, the two are similar as proven by how aggressive the Honeycomb tablets are going to get ICS. (Asus will get it out in December.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts