Seagate CEO: Blu-ray won the battle but lost the war

I think M$ is counting on IPTV style downloads, where M$ can make some money. 5-10 years away from beginning to spread to the mainstream. At least. Fat broadband pipes to the masses won't be here any sooner. Verizon has already started, and how far do you think they'll be in even 10 years?

And the prices I've read don't appear cheap. Certainly cheaper than owning- but you only get to see it once, and poof! If a rental costs 1/3 the cost of buying, and you have to start downloading several hours before viewing, is it worth it?

And for best effect for AQ, those new receivers and speakers would be needed anyway. Some will upgrade. Some/most won't. Either for dl or BD.

I am not going to wait hours to view a movie.
GL Seagate into getting people FIOS all over the US ( And if they want to win, get FIOS all over the world) I really want to see that happening.

I'm supposedly getting 7mb/s downstream from my cable company with "speed boost." In reality, checking via online bandwidth meters, it's more like 2-2.5mb (on a wireless network). This is the same cable company that for the longest time couldn't squeeze out more than 20 HD channels through their lines. Now with a recent upgrade to the system we have 35. So how in the heck will I be able to download a 1080p movie in the time it takes to download say a CD's worth of music (anything else is too long and a pain and I might as well stick to my cable cos. HD PPV.

Another advantage of owning a disc (and how i justify the purchase) is that I can lend and trade it out to friends and family. Will downloaded movies allow me to do that? Will I need to buy a package of 8-16 GB flash drives to share the cinematic love, or (gasp) will I just burn it on to a BD? ;)

I dunno what you br people are whining about.. europes had 15-20 meg downloads for a lot longer than we've had 6 megs.. so it's very possible.. just a matter of time.. with more and more cities offering free wireless internet.. content providers are going to have to offer speed to make people want to pay for service.. it's just a matter of time where downloading an hd movie won't take hours it'll take 30 minutes.. depending on lag and luck.. :)

You guys are forgetting something important, Bandwidth, BANDWIDTH, they are pricey,
It will take stupid amount of bandwidth if you are planning to released a mass amount of movies in HD...
Vince, the last thing you want to have is Wireless connection to download HD movies...

You misread my statement.. I said providers will need to offer more bandwidth to entice people to pay for service.. if I only download pages from websites I won't need it.. but if I want hd I'll want bandwidth and I'll pay to get it.. hence providers will need to up the anti (sp?) if they want to keep getting cash from customers..

They will make less money out of IPTV (the studios).
They will not make as much money as they are getting right now.

possibly.. using the same method they have now (ppv then content on pay services like hbo, shotime, starz, etc) they should be fine.. amazon unboxed uses this process for SD content to tivo boxes.. it's not that far from a reality..

I am sure retailers will try to keep the whole disc system, they are making money out of it, and they will try everything in their hands to keep the disc business.

I'm supposedly getting 7mb/s downstream from my cable company with "speed boost." In reality, checking via online bandwidth meters, it's more like 2-2.5mb (on a wireless network). This is the same cable company that for the longest time couldn't squeeze out more than 20 HD channels through their lines. Now with a recent upgrade to the system we have 35. So how in the heck will I be able to download a 1080p movie in the time it takes to download say a CD's worth of music (anything else is too long and a pain and I might as well stick to my cable cos. HD PPV.

Another advantage of owning a disc (and how i justify the purchase) is that I can lend and trade it out to friends and family. Will downloaded movies allow me to do that? Will I need to buy a package of 8-16 GB flash drives to share the cinematic love, or (gasp) will I just burn it on to a BD? ;)

SShhhhhh! Sony's lawyers might be reading this!!

Sony Lawyer-"That's tantamount to filesharing! Lets sue this guy for $220,000 for each time he lent the movie to a family member."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts