SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
January 5, 2008 6:20 PM PST
Blu-Ray wins, HD DVD loses. Probably.

Posted by Peter Glaskowsky 10 comments
Warner Bros. Entertainment may have cast the deciding vote in the Blu-ray vs. HD DVD format war, announcing yesterday-- just before the big Consumer Electronics Show opens in Las Vegas-- that Warner will support Blu-ray exclusively starting in June 2008.

CES-2008-tote-HD-DVD_270x360.jpg
The CES 2008 tote bag, sponsored by Toshiba for HD DVD
(Credit: Peter N. Glaskowsky)
I'm at CES, where I've just left the CES Unveiled press event. Although there was a lot of cool stuff in the various booths providing a sneak peek of the CES show floor (all 1.8 million square feet of it)--and I'll be covering some of this cool stuff in future blog posts-- the topic of the evening was the Warner announcement and what it means for the HD DVD camp.
Opinions are mixed as to the immediate effect of the announcement. Some believe the DVD Forum (which manages the HD DVD format) and its member companies should just give up now and accept the inevitable victory of Blu-ray. Others want to wait to see how Blu-ray and HD DVD player and title sales go following the Christmas season, which was fairly successful for both formats. This group argues that if HD DVD titles continue to sell well, perhaps the HD DVD format can hang on and maybe...maybe...eventually triumph.
But Warner is today one of the bigger suppliers of HD DVD titles, and all that ends on May 31 when the company stops distributing in that format. This decision sets a deadline for HD DVD supporters. If they can't show a path to victory by then, they probably never will.
Personally I'm expecting to hear Apple announce its support for Blu-ray in the new Mac Pro and MacBook products coming at MacWorld Expo in 10 days. Actually I expected Apple to throw its weight behind Blu-ray during 2007, but I'm still pretty sure it'll happen.
If Blu-ray wins the format war, Apple will probably gain an edge in the PC war as well, since Microsoft is one of the major supporters of HD DVD. But it's mostly an image thing; Microsoft is only committed to HD DVD for Xbox 360 and not so much for the PC. Shifting the support of the Windows division to Blu-ray would be no big deal, since both formats have virtually identical technical requirements.
</span></p><p> Another consequence of a Blu-ray victory--the CES 2008 tote bag, sponsored by Toshiba on behalf of the HD DVD format, is likely to become something of a collect</p></div>or's item...

R.I.P, HD-DVD in the clearance section soon.
At least its a good up converter, and good collectors item.

Why are you posting news that is 2 weeks old? Come on, we get it. BD is on a roll. I fail to see what benefit will come from YET ANOTHER thread on this.

But, I do love my CES press bag. :)

At least you are trying everything in your power to mislead those poor new visitors.
Just follow the flow like your fellow members, accept that HD-DVD got stomped by blu-ray after warner gave the boot to Toshiba.

Ok guys, enough is enough. This is the war-zone, where you are free to discuss the arguments for each format, NOT the Pit, where anything goes.

Somehow I think you guys like having the war-zone; do not jeopardize it with these useless threads, that do not tell any news. Or make any new arguments.

Teenagers don't watch the news (unless it's MTV news). :eek:

Too bad vurbano is still watching MTV at his current age, whatever that might be.

But I will stop for now, since the HD-DVD crowd is panicking.

This thread should shut all the HD-DVD supporters that still believe that HD-DVD can comeback.

We have all major studios, tell me how in the world can they win the war?
I doubt bill gates will pay 1billion to each studio to comeback to HD-DVD.
And I doubt microsoft will keep supporting HD-DVD in few months.

Too bad vurbano is still watching MTV at his current age, whatever that might be.

But I will stop for now, since the HD-DVD crowd is panicking.

This thread should shut all the HD-DVD supporters that still believe that HD-DVD can comeback.

We have all major studios, tell me how in the world can they win the war?
I doubt bill gates will pay 1billion to each studio to comeback to HD-DVD.
And I doubt microsoft will keep supporting HD-DVD in few months.
Nope, just another Elmer thread... BD may out live HD DVD, but not by long... Joe 6 Pack rules and DVD is still king...

At least you are trying everything in your power to mislead those poor new visitors.
Just follow the flow like your fellow members, accept that HD-DVD got stomped by blu-ray after warner gave the boot to Toshiba.
I am pretty sure even a new visitor understands what is happening. Give it a break. There is more to life than television:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)