So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

I got to thinking the other day about the way we watch tv in our house. My living room and computer room tv get a work out with a 722k. Luckily I have an hdmi splitter so I can watch the same hd picture in both rooms. No sound differences between the two rooms either. The Master bedroom has a 211k + ext hard drive and gets occasional use for shows we sometimes want to watch in bed. We use the sling player in the google box to view them in hd from the sling pro hd box in the living room paired with the 722k. It works but not always well. My wife sometimes uses the 211k for her vast HGTV collection of shows. My son uses his 211k+ext hard drive for his kid shows. The hopper would be great for our house and considering the $7.00 fee would be the same for two joeys as for two 211ks. The only increase would be the extra $4.00 multi-view fee. Of course the drawbacks would be losing the 4 ota tuners we now have between the two 211ks and the 722k . I sure hope that they allow us to add an dual usb ota tuner to the hopper. I really like being able to record off of the ota channels in my area. So for the way we watch tv in our house I think the hopper/joey system would work well, IF they get the ota support added .

Count me out until EITHER OTA or INTEGRATION.

I currently have 2 722K's with OTA which gives me 4 tuners each, and will need 2 hoppers 2 joeys.

With either OTA or integration I would have at least 4 tuners available.

I am not willing to go backwards.

budda said:
Once OTA is here I'm in. Other wise I sit tight.

Star Trek is on tonight on METV

I can only watch it with my over the air tuner. My Tv does not have a tuner built in. Good thing I bought the add on OTA tuner.

Star Trek. Just an other reason to wait and not get the Hopper till its OTA tuner comes out this fall or September.

I can only watch it with my over the air tuner. My Tv does not have a tuner built in. Good thing I bought the add on OTA tuner.

Star Trek. Just an other reason to wait and not get the Hopper till its OTA tuner comes out this fall or September.

I find that hard to argue with. It would be a rough thing for me to go without my Trek.

TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT...all seasons, all episodes, all movies on DVD. One of these days I will rip them all to a HDD for instant access. ;)

Just an FYI in case you didn't know (not trying to argue your point) Netflix streaming has all the Star Trek series and you can watch all of them you want at any time. You can have your own Trekkie Marathon! :whoo:

yeah, i would not switch until 722k can be used in the system and/or ota support. I don't want to get rid of my 722k if there is no ota, i want a 1 hopper, 3 joey system for the rest of the house and a 722k for myself with the ota. If it gets ota i would like a 2 hopper, 3 joey system. I am the only one that uses ota and the PTAT will make up for it on the hopper, so if I can just use the 722k i would be fine, but from what I have read that is not possible yet. Our current setup is 722k, 2 211k with DVR, and a 222k connected to 1hd-1sdtv.

Damn the lack of OTA. :( I hate watching everyone get theirs ordered today and not being able to play along too. Yes, I know I could give in, but I know I'd regret it as soon as I tuned in to the race this weekend and all the March Madness fun and tried to watch it on the lower PQ of the Dish-provided locals. Same when I couldn't DVR my OTA subchannels anymore. :(

OK...Stepping back off my soapbox. Didnt want to clutter one of the "I got mine ordered!" posts, so I posted here. As you were... :coffee

I am glad Scott detailed the missing over the air tuner issue in his first look.
Now everyonecanmake an informed choice on switching now or waiting.

I would hate to have someone get the hopper then weeks later when they try to watch there favorite local channel for weather or older shows they realize they can't as there is no OTA tuner till maybe September.

My self dish is missing 17 local channels. They just have the big 4 in HD

ScottChez said:
I am glad Scott detailed the missing over the air tuner issue in his first look.
Now everyonecanmake an informed choice on switching now or waiting.

I would hate to have someone get the hopper then weeks later when they try to watch there favorite local channel for weather or older shows they realize they can't as there is no OTA tuner till maybe September.

My self dish is missing 17 local channels. They just have the big 4 in HD

I would think that those who use OTA would be the ones who would ask before buying.

Dish has my locals in HD except the CW. So OTA is a must for me. Plus having access to OTA when having a weather related Dish outage. But I really like the other things H/J so I will be on board once OTA is available. I know that I could hook up the OTA directly to my TV but that isn't the point.

I use my OTA for CW, and maybe another rarely. But, I would wait on changing out my 722k until the hopper gets OTA. Once the Hopper gets OTA, and it can link 2 hoppers together - sign me up.

When I upgrade in the next month, I will certainly miss my 722K MT2 tuners, quite a bit, however I can live with just tuning into OTA directly through the TV for now. Only time I really need OTA is during severe weather, however I do record the sub channels sometimes. The Big Four as well as PBS are in HD where I am, so no biggie.

Darn.. I just missed this part about OTA. I thought the hopper would support this. Now, my excitement is gone about the whole-house DVR thingy.

Darn.. I just missed this part about OTA. I thought the hopper would support this. Now, my excitement is gone about the whole-house DVR thingy.

OTA is supposed to be out by this summer, hopefully....

DISH says "SOON" and we all know what that means....

VIP722 - if TV1 is turned on, TV2 controls don't work

Dish made bid to acquire MetroPCS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)