So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

No OTA no Hopper for me.

I have *5* VIP receivers. big Dish spender here.

i'm also a videophile.. i try to record from OTA whenever I can for better picture quality and also sub-channel programs. Manual timer is also a must-feature!

Due to the law suits over the commercial skip feature, I bet if one of the Networks remove there channel, many more will be WAITING for the the Over the Air OTA tuner.

I bet speeds up its release now.

I am guessing they are making it a One Tuner USB solution and not a Two Tuner USB like in there other models so the cost will be very low.
So low that they could give it away if say a Network removes there channel AND some one calls and complains, dish could just ship out the OTA tuner for a very low cost or even free if they wanted to.
This would allow the customer to still be able to watch the network while it drags out in court.

Any new news or rumors on this? I was determined to wait for OTA to upgrade my 722 and 722k to a Hopper + 3 Joeys, but now my 722 is slowly dying, requiring frequent reboots, losing signal, etc. If I'm reasonably satisfied that OTA will be here within a few months, I'll do the upgrade now rather than getting a replacement 722.

I am glad I didn't move to the Hopper yet as we have had a lot of heavy rain the past 2 weeks and have lost the Dish signal several times for long periods of time. If I didn't have my current 622 DVRs with OTA then I would have missed some good shows. I will continue to wait for OTA to be added.

I've had the Hopper system since day one and absolutley love it. I haven't missed the OTA channels at all. We've had pretty dry weather here though. If it did get bad I just have to switch the input on my TV to antenna though.

Well I gave up waiting for ota and bought a hopper and 2 joeys. LOVE THEM! I can still watch ota on my tvs using the antenna. I had to " move" home so I could see local news and weather over the sat box ,since they don't have the usb tuner out yet. The only channel I really miss is MeTv and I can still watch it over the antenna on the tv on weekends for the few shows I do watch. When they do make the ota usb tuner available I will get one and "move" back to Houston so I can get the best of both town's locals. Houston has the big 4 networks , the Cw , MyNetwork tv and Pbs all in HD, which comes in handy for prime-time viewing in the fall.

Welcome to the Hopper club!

Thanks ! I like it so well I might just invest in a second one come the fall. My boy is trying to load the receiver up with new & reruns on all his kid shows. That will max out your timers in short order if not changed to say, new only or daily.

I am actually right now updating the software on Hopper #3. I have the DPP44 but need the DPP33 and Solo Node (arriving tomorrow) in order to do the complete swap. I'm just swapping #3 and #2 so I can take my recordings to the #3 location. Hopper sure is finicky during initial setup. It was on Attention 015 infinitely until I did a factory defaults and now it's at 015 again after the software upgrade. Next step is set resolution and then activate. I almost forgot to unplug the Joey that was already there from it's coax. I sure as hell don't want the dreaded 1303...

The tech that installed the first 2 said that eventually the new Hoppers will have newer software that won't be so finicky. I thought surely 2 months later that would be the case but to my surprise Hopper #3 had the 922 color scheme when it first booted up.

EDIT: Aaand we're activated.

Last edited:
The tech that installed the first 2 said that eventually the new Hoppers will have newer software that won't be so finicky. I thought surely 2 months later that would be the case but to my surprise Hopper #3 had the 922 color scheme when it first booted up.
Those initial load issues will probably have to wait for the next production run. They aren't going to unbox and re-flash the warehouse shelves for anything short of a complete show stopper.

I have a Hopper. The only way I will buy the OTA module is if it ADDS a tuner. I am worried that it will work like Direct and use up a tuner when active. If it is additive like the 722K tuner. I will buy one on the first day.

I have a Hopper. The only way I will buy the OTA module is if it ADDS a tuner. I am worried that it will work like Direct and use up a tuner when active. If it is additive like the 722K tuner. I will buy one on the first day.

Dish doesn't operate like DirecTV. Exceedingly unlikely that we will lose a sat tuner.

I am actually right now updating the software on Hopper #3. I have the DPP44 but need the DPP33 and Solo Node (arriving tomorrow) in order to do the complete swap. I'm just swapping #3 and #2 so I can take my recordings to the #3 location. Hopper sure is finicky during initial setup. It was on Attention 015 infinitely until I did a factory defaults and now it's at 015 again after the software upgrade. Next step is set resolution and then activate. I almost forgot to unplug the Joey that was already there from it's coax. I sure as hell don't want the dreaded 1303...

EDIT: Aaand we're activated.

Well the 922 and the Hopper are related.;)

Why is Dish so paranoid about having QAM also with any of their tuners? I have Internet with Cox and get locals and public channels in the clear. Here in San Diego with the mountains it is much easier to get locals via QAM than OTA.

Pretty much all of the existing USB tuners are ATSC/QAM so the chipsets are readily available so what extra money? I assume there are others in areas where OTA is difficult to recieve.

Well the 922 and the Hopper are related.;)

Yeah, point was that the initial software must be very old if it still has the 922 color scheme. Matter of fact that new Hopper said the initial software version was S062 (compared to S212 now.) The initial software is VERY finicky and unnecessarily difficult to work with. I was surprised that they still had such old software preloaded, but then again the Hopper I got could have been sitting in some warehouse since March for all I know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts