The FCC just gave you a reason to hold off on buying a 4K TV

ChadT41

THE BEST THERE HAS EVER BEEN
Apr 20, 2014
Mesa, Az
Bobby i just bought the 55" P-Series. So far... love it. Been 3 days and still learning things about the tablet remote. It's cool for youtubing now, we do not have to go one letter at a time.

Reactions: jamesjimcie

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2006
The big network broadcasters aren't interested in ATSC 3.0 at all. In fact, they are trying to push adding HDR to existing HD broadcasts. Of course, the big nets are almost always at odds with NAB.

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2006
My Vizio M55-D0 also has no Tuner as well.
As far as I know, Vizio only has Built-in Tuners in the D series.
And soon that will probably stop as well.
They can only NOT have a tuner if it is a MONITOR. And this is the case with some of the Vizios. All "TV's" must have the mandated tuners.

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
They can only NOT have a tuner if it is a MONITOR. And this is the case with some of the Vizios. All "TV's" must have the mandated tuners.

Certainly correct but I see the Vizios as a difference with no distinction, a label only. They work in every way as a Smart TV but with no tuner installed. Multiple inputs, Apps, and settings geared for watching TV in this case from Satellite/Cable, streaming etc. You can buy a tuner, TIVO etc and nothing else has changed, it is no different than other Smart TV's with tuner external instead of internal.

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
The FCC just gave you a reason to hold off on buying a 4K TV

Hmm... I am trying to remember when was the last time I used a built-in ATSC tuner in any of my TV sets. Five years ago perhaps? Never used it in my 4K set, that's for sure!
If ATSC 3.0 becomes available, all I will have to do is to swap the OTA dongle connected to the Hopper. Probably not even the Hopper itself. No big deal!

But I would love to see the ATSC 3.0 rolled out as soon as possible, as this would speedup the acceptance of Ultra-HD.

Last edited:

AZ.

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 26, 2011
crazy
Hmm... I am trying to remember when was the last time I used a built-in ATSC tuner in any of my TV sets. Five years ago perhaps? Never used it in my 4K set, that's for sure!
If ATSC 3.0 becomes available, all I will have to do is to swap the OTA dongle connected to the Hopper. Probably not even the Hopper itself. No big deal!

But I would love to see the ATSC 3.0 rolled out as soon as possible, as this would speedup the acceptance of Ultra-HD.
Keep in mind thats a good thing!.....If you had a natural disaster you would sure want a tuner!

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
If you had a natural disaster you would sure want a tuner!
If I had a natural disaster, I would likely be sitting without electricity and watching news on my cellphone.

Speaking of which... We had a tornado warning this morning and had to go to the basement at 5:30AM. Fortunately nothing happened.

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
If I had a natural disaster, I would likely be sitting without electricity and watching news on my cellphone.

Speaking of which... We had a tornado warning this morning and had to go to the basement at 5:30AM. Fortunately nothing happened.

Unless you have a good UPS... you can sometimes keep TV on for quite awhile.

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I have all my stuff on ups. I lost power for 4 days last summer when a freak wind storm took out trees and poles all over town. I ran the tv off the battery backup off and on for a couple hours before I got the generator out when it became clear it wouldn't be a quick fix for the power company.

They do indeed come in handy. I live in an area, much like yours I'm sure, which is very susceptible to tornadoes and heavy thunderstorms. Even when those aren't in season, our power grid in my small town is so unreliable that I lose power at least once a week. I have 3 UPS covering all my sensitive electronics, DSL modem, satellite receiver, PC's, antenna preamps, all of it. That way, I can insulate my electronics from these frequent power drops and spikes. I totally believe in UPS as a form of insurance for electronics.

AZ.

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 26, 2011
crazy

See...by looking around Im not the only one...I also have complete home generator that kicks in also!
Its not crazy to be prepared.....just thorough though..

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)