The FCC just gave you a reason to hold off on buying a 4K TV

That number is not growing as younger people move away from pay TV models, they aren't embracing OTA, they are embracing streaming.

As to the ATSC3.0 stuff, well adapters will come out as they always do if/when it becomes an actual issue.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/cord-cutters-why-millennials-are-saying-goodbye-to-cable-tv/

"Why millenials are saying goodbye to cable TV"

"ON MY TV
As mentioned, some cable companies are reaching out to cord cutters, offering packages that include high-speed Internet and TV via a digital antenna. Now, if you’re a millennial, you might be thinking, “Why would I need an antenna in 2016?” Here’s why: The four major networks (CBS, FOX, NBC, and ABC), PBS, and the CW, as well as many smaller networks, broadcast digitally over the air in most markets, meaning you can watch each channel with that antenna — for free. If you just want to watch popular shows like “NCIS” or “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” and, say, the local news or Sunday’s football game, that antenna might be all you need. Just make sure you have the right one. AntennaWeb’s handy tool can help you figure out how close you are to the nearest transmitter, what type of antenna you’ll need, and how many channels you’ll receive. This will be the cheapest option for cord cutters, but it’ll also yield the least content. You’re basically living in the ’50s, at the mercy of network programming. But, like we said, it’s free."

I think take up of 3.0 will get a lot of push back. Unlike HD there is virtually no obvious consumer benefit.

The initial digital transition was delayed for years and occurred with a major physical change to panels and a clearly obvious SD to HD quality improvement. HD to 4K just doesn't have the same visual impact.

With no simulcast or subsidies planned(as of now) the cut over will kill 99% of the actual OTA consumers unless delayed until the ecosystem supports it.

Seems like its almost an acknowledgement OTA isn'the a big deal anymore, but still give the locals need an excuse to exist with less bandwidth.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
I think take up of 3.0 will get a lot of push back. Unlike HD there is virtually no obvious consumer benefit.

The initial digital transition was delayed for years and occurred with a major physical change to panels and a clearly obvious SD to HD quality improvement. HD to 4K just doesn't have the same visual impact.

With no simulcast or subsidies planned(as of now) the cut over will kill 99% of the actual OTA consumers unless delayed until the ecosystem supports it.

Seems like its almost an acknowledgement OTA isn'the a big deal anymore, but still give the locals need an excuse to exist with less bandwidth.

They do have to simulcast. It says so right there in the article.

So how many broadcasters have stopped broadcasting? Parts of the spectrum are gone, but the locals have just moved to other frequencies.
there is a list somewhere in these forums..mainly shop at home channels..some now use shared facilities (Like North Dakota)..

moscow is a village in the town of russia New York..not far from Poland, NY

That's in Herkimer County and several hundred miles from where the Twin Towers were. If that's where you live there's no way you got a TV signal from there.

Really? How many OTA channels are there now with digital after frequencies were sold off compared analog? How many stations had subchannels when all we had was analog?
the frequencies themselves didn't change from analog to digital..some stations chose to change frequencies to reach more people (went from VHF to UHF mostly) and now the only channels available. TV goes to channel 51 right now but they are being forced to move so the spectrum can be used for cellular

here is a good link
http://current.org/2015/12/a-guide-to-the-fcc-spectrum-auction/

the frequencies themselves didn't change from analog to digital..some stations chose to change frequencies to reach more people (went from VHF to UHF mostly) and now the only channels available. TV goes to channel 51 right now but they are being forced to move so the spectrum can be used for cellular

here is a good link
http://current.org/2015/12/a-guide-to-the-fcc-spectrum-auction/

And you didn't answer the question I asked?

I have heard that with ATSC 3.0 there will be the ability to have 10 HD channels on a single channel. Of course there will be less 4k channels possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)