Thinking of 522 for parents, what is current status?

Big Bob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Title pretty much sums it up. I am thinking of getting a 522 for my parents. They are semi-technical. Mother can set the clock on her VCR.

Is the 522 reasonably stable? I haven't been following the developments of this box. Would you recommend the 522 to someone?

Big Bob said:
Title pretty much sums it up. I am thinking of getting a 522 for my parents. They are semi-technical. Mother can set the clock on her VCR.

Is the 522 reasonably stable? I haven't been following the developments of this box. Would you recommend the 522 to someone?

Are they new or existing DISH subscribers?

522 is a bit flaky, but if they understand what it is to 3-finger salute a PC, they'll be fine. ;)

Chad's left field question relates to whether they would qualify to get a 522. At this time it's 'officially' for new customers only.

I'd get them a tivo... its more first time user friendly than the 522 at this point.

SimpleSimon said:
522 is a bit flaky, but if they understand what it is to 3-finger salute a PC, they'll be fine. ;)

Chad's left field question relates to whether they would qualify to get a 522. At this time it's 'officially' for new customers only.
Are there any specific areas where it flakes? or is it pretty much all areas?
Specific problems they can handle, but random failures all over the place would drive them crazy

SimpleSimon said:

It wasn't left field. Shortstop at best. I was wondering whether their learning curve would be a DVR or satellite AND a DVR. The DVR isn't difficult to figure out but some people may be spooked by the various messages from a satellite system (acquiring signal, signal lost, etc).

Big Bob said:
Are there any specific areas where it flakes? or is it pretty much all areas?
Specific problems they can handle, but random failures all over the place would drive them crazy

I've had a drop in problems after getting 2.07. I still have a few audio/video sync problems (easy to correct) and there is still the bug which may result in being billed for the phone line fee regardless of whether or not it is actually connected. It is still great to be able to record on two TVs and watch on either TV regardless of where it was recorded. I'd recommend it.

JFS7931 said:
I'd get them a tivo... its more first time user friendly than the 522 at this point.
Yeah right - having to set two timers for every show, or deal with an IR blaster, is real user friendly.

Or course, older people don't seem to mind counting to 10 before seeing the results of their last button press, so that user hostile part of the TiVo probably doesn't matter.
chaddux said:
It wasn't left field. Shortstop at best.
:D And good point - I hadn't thought about the adjustment to DBS from other types of TV.

I've had the 522 for 3 weeks and haven't really anything to complain about. So far I've recorded and watched one movie and every re-run of CSI that Spike has shown since I had it.

SimpleSimon said:
Barry: OMG! Then, then, you must have recorded the episode of CSI with the (horrors) nipple!

I must have missed that one. What's this about?

(Simon: And you talk about hijacking threads? I think a nipple discussion probably qualifies as hijacking this thread. ;))

Yeah - you're right. Sorry. So, last post on subject.

A few days ago (Tuesday?) the famous dead nipple episode of CSI was shown. Single-step it while the dead girl is on the autopsy table (it's not sick if she's not really dead :D ). And they b!tched about Janet Jackson?

New 522 ?'s

Question about tuning local digital channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)