thinking of switching from dish - questions about recorded shows on my dish receiver

traderumors

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
I'm thinking of making the switch from Dish to DirecTV due to the great deal they have running right now. However, I have about 30 hours of recorded TV on the Dish receiver right now. If I disconnect Dish, will I be able to watch those shows since they are stored on the DVR, or will that basically shut down the DVR entirely? If I keep the service active for a month but physically disconnect the satellite feed, can I watch the shows? Just not sure how to deal with the transition, so any advice is appreciated!

Hello tradeumors,

I would humbly suggest posting your question on the Dish forum as your chance of getting an answer is much greater on the Dish forum. :confused:

I'm thinking of making the switch from Dish to DirecTV due to the great deal they have running right now. However, I have about 30 hours of recorded TV on the Dish receiver right now. If I disconnect Dish, will I be able to watch those shows since they are stored on the DVR, or will that basically shut down the DVR entirely? If I keep the service active for a month but physically disconnect the satellite feed, can I watch the shows? Just not sure how to deal with the transition, so any advice is appreciated!

As long as you don't UNPLUG the DVR.
Chances are if you lose power to it, and plug back in, it will try to find the Sat signal and you may not be able to get back to the Recordings section.
Change service last week and I unplug, unhook sat and phone and broadband, then canceled service
next day hook up tv2 out and plug in my 722 all show except ota recordings where locked maybe I should not have powered it down.

Change service last week and I unplug, unhook sat and phone and broadband, then canceled service
next day hook up tv2 out and plug in my 722 all show except ota recordings where locked maybe I should not have powered it down.

Yep.

Dish covers itself (at least) two ways: A kill signal is sent out by satellite, and a timeout of no valid sat signal.

Nope. It will stop working after some period of time with no sat signal. Gone forever then.

i DON'T KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES TO LOSE THE RECORDINGS...........................i used my 722K in my motor home and sometimes it would be unplugged for as long as two days, when i reached my destination i would plug it in and watch my recordings.
set up dish with bird dog, then watch live TV.

that's my experience! :D

You still have an active account. Even if you couldn't access the DVR contents after some period disconnected, you could call Dish for a hit and everything would work again.

i DON'T KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES TO LOSE THE RECORDINGS...........................i used my 722K in my motor home and sometimes it would be unplugged for as long as two days, when i reached my destination i would plug it in and watch my recordings.
set up dish with bird dog, then watch live TV.

that's my experience! :D

Well ya, you're a subscriber.... He won't be.

If it does not lose power and you disconnect the sat feed before cancelling you probably have a few days grace to watch before it wants to see the satellite again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts