Too many Commercials!!... Stop It!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I know your post is old, but you may want to check out a site called toomanycommercials.net They are actually trying to do something about the too many commercial problem!

mickcove1500

I too have heard of banning commercial skip at least on free stations like OTA.

The NAB feels under attack by DVRs and claims DVRs will make their commercials worth less, and not enough to pay for local programming.

Frankly if this passes I will quit watching most tv....

It could get worse,I saw a story about this on Bloomberg news this week. Right now some of the cable Co's, dish and direct are working on a interactive commercial program that you have to respond to in order to keep watching your show. Yahoo Works With CBS, HSN to Make TV More Interactive - Bloomberg and Next 1 Interactive, Inc. (OTCBB: NXOI) « StockGuru , they don't mention dish in these articles but they did say on air that dish was working on it also.They also showed a demo, it was like a pop up that you had to click on to continue. They also mentioned it could be here as early as this fall. Maybe Scott has some insight about this?

It has gotten worse. We watched a DVD last night from the redbox. While the previews, commercials and PSA's were playing, which seemed like at least 20 minutes, every useful button on my remote (skip forward, fast forward, menu, etc) produced the message "this operation is currently prohibited for this disc" - Well now I know two things (1) this must be part of the reason they can only charge a buck for the movies and (2) from now on the disc goes in the player half an hour beforehand while we watch some other source and let the ads finish.

The really sad thing is, there was one ad in there that I actually wanted to rewind and watch again but it wouldn't let me do that either. And I sure as hell wasn't about to pop it out and start all over just for that.

What, do they want me to illegally rip & burn a custom copy before I ever watch the thing? 'Cause that's what I'll do. :)

You do realize that commercials and advertising is very important to everyone. I know they suck but everyone needs them. Just look at this site. There are plenty of ads but the site needs them for income. Every form of media needs advertising to make money. If we get rid of it expect to pay a LOT more for TV. Everything would be considered a premium channel like HBO. If you don't like commercials just rely or your DVR. I don't have too many problems with commercials anymore.

WARNING: THE FOLLOOWING IS JUST A RUMOR!!!......

I hate rumors, I hate to be the one that starts rumors..... I have heard this from a few people. I have no facts to back up the following rumor. This is only what I heard.

In the next few months, I heard that the advertisers and the FCC has come up with some sort of ruling that Tivo, PVR & DVR will not allow the "Skip Forward" feature during playback.

The preceding message was just a rumor!!

Basically what is happening is, commercials are now inside shows, more and more obvious every time. It'll be like in Demolition Man where all the songs are commercials.

i am surprised no one has mentioned the annoyance of all the video commercials now on this website. every time i change a page i have to look for the video and click the mute button on it. its bad enough that there are the epileptic banners on the page, but the video ones with audio that just start auto playing are horrible.

Basically what is happening is, commercials are now inside shows, more and more obvious every time. It'll be like in Demolition Man where all the songs are commercials.

Product Placement has been a staple of television since it's early days. Commercials inside shows is as much a part of Television as Lassie.

You notice it more now because there is more push for product placement with the slow, agonizing death of the traditional 15-30 second advertisement

I too use the skip button a lot. I hope it doesn't wear-out. I'd have to get another remote or go insane! I watch the ads during the Superbowl hoping to be entertained (didn't happen too much this year...not many amusing ads), but other than that, I dvr programs I watch and then skip commercial breaks. If they disabled that feature, having a dvr would be almost (but not quite) pointless.

It's interesting that when faced with people using technology to skip advertisements, the people behind them start including more advertisements per hour and trying to make them unskippable or forcing people to respond with their remote to continue their program. They're basically being combative instead of trying to address the issue in a way that everyone would be happy with and simply trying to make their advertisements more palatable -- maybe having an ad that's a music video with a "brought to you" by banner or something.

If I actually have to respond to an ad with my remote to keep watching, I think that's the point at which I would cancel my television for good -- even giving up my beloved live sports. Television is supposed to be something you can relax in front of your television and enjoy without interacting with it. I'm not going to "work" for television I already pay for by clicking ads. F that.

i am surprised no one has mentioned the annoyance of all the video commercials now on this website. every time i change a page i have to look for the video and click the mute button on it. its bad enough that there are the epileptic banners on the page, but the video ones with audio that just start auto playing are horrible.

For fast, fast, fast relief from the ads on this site, go to http://www.satelliteguys.us/payments.php :D Guaranteed not to upset your stomach. :D

Don't you love the way they put ads overlaid on the show? Blocking out and distracting what you're there to see. And "bugs."

We'll only see more and more of this. Glad libraries and books are still around.

:mad:I am deaf in one ear and have 70% loss in the other and this is happening more often and changing the CC set-up isn't much help. It's well-nigh impossible to watch Bloomberg.
Books?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts