Too many Commercials!!... Stop It!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What do they expect to achieve by doing that?? We still have the "fast forward" button.

The only protections other stations have are some FCC regulations. PBS and NPR however are publicly funded. I watch PBS sometimes and I still don't think it should be publicly funded. If that means putting in commercials so that they are no longer taxpayer funded, I say go ahead.
Yes, a really old thread has come thundering to life:

The problem is that the content for which you watch PBS or listen to on NPR would no longer exist because PBS and NPR would have to have content that SELLS just like all the other junk on the commercially supported stations. There isn't a single commercial television network that would air Doc Martin, for example, and extremely popular show, because it would not get enough viewers to satisfy the minimum those networks demand in return, so they produce more junk instead because they can make more money.

Classical music radio stations have and can still MAKE MONEY, but owners of such stations have long ago switched formats to Pop/Rock/hip-hop whatever because they can make MORE money with such junky formats. That would be the pressure on public broadcasters going commercial, and PBS News Hour would be the horror of CNN that lacks any at length examination of current events in its DAILY news offerings while endlessly repeating the same story all day and with only occasional 40 minutes Docs like CNN Special Reports and PBS would be forced to have all those ding-bats like on all the 24 hour news channels sit around and talk and insult each other.

And there is the children's programming that never tries to sell kids more sugary cereal or make the kids pester you to buy whatever product, and it is mostly educations not the brain rotting kids programming mostly seen on commercial stations.

The only way to have available the programming that you watch on PBS is to publicly support it, or you are willing to do without such programming, but it would be a great loss. There is a reason both Dems and Repubs have supported and passed legislation for continued funds for Public broadcasting (and the same reason Amtrak is always funded no matter which party is in power): too many constituents and most voters want it and don't like the alternative universe that would see the end of public broadcasting. It is what it is.

...occasional 40 minutes Docs like CNN Special Reports
I recorded a really great, even artistic, Special Report called, The Hunt for Planet B. Higfhly recommended and IIRC it was chock-full of lady astronomers. Of course I skipped over the commercials.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I know if I watch most shows on Cw or Fox , I get less than 5 minutes of show then commercials. I spend a lot of time skipping to get past them. My Tablo will let me skip them completely but I have to wait till after they are recorded and after they update. The only problem is that it might skip to next scene before the first one is totally complete. I can skip back ,but it is still a nuisance.

Yes, a really old thread has come thundering to life:

The problem is that the content for which you watch PBS or listen to on NPR would no longer exist because PBS and NPR would have to have content that SELLS just like all the other junk on the commercially supported stations. There isn't a single commercial television network that would air Doc Martin, for example, and extremely popular show, because it would not get enough viewers to satisfy the minimum those networks demand in return, so they produce more junk instead because they can make more money.

Classical music radio stations have and can still MAKE MONEY, but owners of such stations have long ago switched formats to Pop/Rock/hip-hop whatever because they can make MORE money with such junky formats. That would be the pressure on public broadcasters going commercial, and PBS News Hour would be the horror of CNN that lacks any at length examination of current events in its DAILY news offerings while endlessly repeating the same story all day and with only occasional 40 minutes Docs like CNN Special Reports and PBS would be forced to have all those ding-bats like on all the 24 hour news channels sit around and talk and insult each other.

And there is the children's programming that never tries to sell kids more sugary cereal or make the kids pester you to buy whatever product, and it is mostly educations not the brain rotting kids programming mostly seen on commercial stations.

The only way to have available the programming that you watch on PBS is to publicly support it, or you are willing to do without such programming, but it would be a great loss. There is a reason both Dems and Repubs have supported and passed legislation for continued funds for Public broadcasting (and the same reason Amtrak is always funded no matter which party is in power): too many constituents and most voters want it and don't like the alternative universe that would see the end of public broadcasting. It is what it is.
Who cares if it would "no longer exist" if we weren't funding it? I bet there are things you don't want publicly funded either. The fact remains is that if it needs to be publicly funded to exist, proves there isn't any demand. I happen to like 3D TVs, and I know what happened with those types of TVs, but I don't support government funding to keeping them around. The fact remains is that we don't need to bailout everything in sight. We're already over 30 trillion in debt. We can blame the current president and the previous three for the bulk of it. I can concede possibly that maybe the FCC could limit the amount of commercials that networks air, but we still don't need to publicly fund any TV or radio network.

Who cares if it would "no longer exist" if we weren't funding it? I bet there are things you don't want publicly funded either. The fact remains is that if it needs to be publicly funded to exist, proves there isn't any demand. I happen to like 3D TVs, and I know what happened with those types of TVs, but I don't support government funding to keeping them around. The fact remains is that we don't need to bailout everything in sight. We're already over 30 trillion in debt. We can blame the current president and the previous three for the bulk of it. I can concede possibly that maybe the FCC could limit the amount of commercials that networks air, but we still don't need to publicly fund any TV or radio network.
I remember the days when you would come to the Dish forum and actually read about Dish and not political rants.

Is it just me or are there more commercials these day's?
I timed a one hour show on Discovery last night, There was 36 minutes of commercials. Thats rediculous..........

It makes me mad, Every channel excluding PPV and HD channels we have to sit through commercial after commercial...........

I don't remember it being this way a few years back, I may be wrong.

STOP IT!!....... I don't want to buy male stamina pills, I don't need tampons & I really don't need any freaken adult diapers!!.......

Life is one big commercial.. Morning Newspaper commercial adds, Drive to work billboard adds, listen to the radio commercials, drive home more billboard adds then when I get home & turn on my 622 receiver I get more than 50% of my show's are commercials......

Thank You

I recorded a really great, even artistic, Special Report called, The Hunt for Planet B. Higfhly recommended and IIRC it was chock-full of lady astronomers. Of course I skipped over the commercials.
In the 1960's thru 1970's - average 12-16 ads / commercials per hour.
Dish TV has gone Robo Spam Ad crazy! We $pay for Dish TV, so why waste our time with so many commercials? Dish now needs to $pay us. Can Congress do anything; or create a classaction lwasuit. Any suggestions? Dish TV is ripping us customers off. - - herbalist32

Dish TV has gone Robo Spam Ad crazy! We $pay for Dish TV, so why waste our time with so many commercials? Dish now needs to $pay us. Can Congress do anything; or create a classaction lwasuit. Any suggestions? Dish TV is ripping us customers off. - - herbalist32

You do understand I hope, that you're paying Dish to deliver programming to your TV, not for the programming content. Dish has no control over how many commercials the program suppliers include, and receives no payment for those commercials.

For a bit of perspective, in 2020 PBS received just .00014% (1/10,000th) of the federal budget. That’s about $1.50 per year per American. Why should you pay even that if you don’t watch? Well, why should I pay for federal highways I’ll never drive on? Veterans services I don’t use? And on and on...

Since I'm in the radio business, I hear people rant on about too many ads on the station. The truth is our bills have gone up just like everyone else. The commercial load is necessary or there will be nothing to watch or listen too. If you have a service that's ad free, you have to pay a fee for that most times. Remember radio and TV are run by bean counters. I also hear all the time about how we play the same songs over and over which is true. We the DJS have to follow a play list which is a service that knows nothing about the audience or the business for that matter. If I was picking the music do you think I would be playing Stairway to Heaven and Free Bird every other day LOL

For a bit of perspective, in 2020 PBS received just .00014% (1/10,000th) of the federal budget. That’s about $1.50 per year per American. Why should you pay even that if you don’t watch? Well, why should I pay for federal highways I’ll never drive on? Veterans services I don’t use? And on and on...
So what? Every little bit of cuts helps if it addresses the debt. The truth is is that PBS and NPR should change their names and commercialize anyways. Heck, we could even privatize making roads. And no, there are privatized roads in other countries and they DON'T charge a fee. Same goes for many private parks and zoos.

That is the reason I DVR everything I watch. Used to be 2 min breaks, now 4-5 minute breaks. Running a TV station is not cheap these days either, so I guess they need the money. If I did not have a DVR, I would not be watching commercial TV, Dish, OTA, or anything. I can take a 2 minute break, but beyond that, forget it.

That is the reason I DVR everything I watch. Used to be 2 min breaks, now 4-5 minute breaks. Running a TV station is not cheap these days either, so I guess they need the money. If I did not have a DVR, I would not be watching commercial TV, Dish, OTA, or anything. I can take a 2 minute break, but beyond that, forget it.
Right on mwdxer! I have been wedded to my DVR since the 501. Occasionally I'm in a hotel room or a beach house with no DVR. The wall to wall commercials are insufferable! In those cases, I just take along my FireTV Stick and stream. To hell with their cable TV.

So what? Every little bit of cuts helps if it addresses the debt. The truth is is that PBS and NPR should change their names and commercialize anyways. Heck, we could even privatize making roads. And no, there are privatized roads in other countries and they DON'T charge a fee. Same goes for many private parks and zoos.
Only about 15% of PBS's annual budget comes from government funding. Most of that is directed at educational programming.

NPR does not receive any direct federal funding, but it does receive a small number of competitive grants from CPB and federal agencies like the Department of Education and the Department of Commerce. This funding amounts to approximately 2% of NPR's overall revenues.

In both cases, it's money well spent in my opinion. Do you know who the majority of the US public debt is owed to? Us...

Only about 15% of PBS's annual budget comes from government funding. Most of that is directed at educational programming.

NPR does not receive any direct federal funding, but it does receive a small number of competitive grants from CPB and federal agencies like the Department of Education and the Department of Commerce. This funding amounts to approximately 2% of NPR's overall revenues.

In both cases, it's money well spent in my opinion. Do you know who the majority of the US public debt is owed to? Us...
We still don't need to fund it publicly anyways. Your statement that only 15% is covered by public funding only furthers the fact that they don't need publicly funding.

Maybe you like it because of the politics they have. Don't get me wrong, for I am against funding even conservative channels. But let's say this. How about we give funds to Fox News? If that were the case, you'd have a field day.

Status
Please reply by conversation.