tOSU being investigated for tattoo-gate?

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
OK...let me get this straight....with all the other cheating that goes on at universities all over the NCAA.... tattoos?! Really?

I am no fan of the Buckeyes and everyone on here knows it...but this is pushing it! I mean if we were talking cars, cash, gifts like TVs, iPods and things of that nature...but "benefit" is getting a tattoo for ?!

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith is slated to "address NCAA rule violations" at a noon ET news conference at the school.

The news conference comes amid multiple reports that Ohio State is investigating allegations that several football players traded autographs for tattoos. WBNS-TV and The Columbus Dispatch, both citing unidentified sources, reported on their websites Wednesday night that the school was looking into the possible NCAA violations just two weeks before the Buckeyes face Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 4.

Quarterback Terrelle Pryor, not mentioned in either report, quickly responded on Twitter.

"I paid for my tattoos. GoBucks" he posted.

The Associated Press left telephone, text and e-mail messages seeking comment from coach Jim Tressel, athletic director Gene Smith, the school's compliance director and other university officials.

Asked by the AP to respond to the allegations, Ohio State associate athletic director Dan Wallenberg said in an e-mail, "No information to share."

Team spokeswoman Shelly Poe said after Tuesday's practice that each player was eligible for the bowl. She said she was unaware of any NCAA investigation.

Reports: Ohio St. investigating allegation players traded autographs for tattoos - ESPN

OK...let me get this straight....with all the other cheating that goes on at universities all over the NCAA.... tattoos?! Really?

I am no fan of the Buckeyes and everyone on here knows it...but this is pushing it! I mean if we were talking cars, cash, gifts like TVs, iPods and things of that nature...but "benefit" is getting a tattoo for ?!

Reports: Ohio St. investigating allegation players traded autographs for tattoos - ESPN

I heard about that this morning, can't believe it, they are telling them that they will have to miss the first 5 games of 2011 season.
If thats the case I can't see why ANY of them would come back for their Sr. season.

Like the were talking about on Mike and MIKE this morning, they GIVE you a bunch of stuff at ALL the Bowl games.
One actually gives you over $400 at a local BB for each player and THATS OK, but a Tattoo is too much ....

This type of thing is why I have been talking about doing away with the NCAA and thier stupid nit picky rules for years...

I'm not saying don't have rules, but lets be reasonable.

I wouldn't be surprised that if YOU know one of the players and buy thier lunch at the local Mc Donalds, that THATS not a violation too.

Players suspended for five games next year, intresting that it also invlolved Champion Rings and other gold pants awards

Five Ohio State Buckeyes must sit out five games in '11 - ESPN

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Five Ohio State football players, including quarterback Terrelle Pryor, must sit out the first five games of the 2011 season for accepting improper benefits, the NCAA ruled Thursday.

A sixth football player must sit out the first game in 2011 for receiving discounted services in violation of NCAA rules.

All of the players be eligible for the Jan. 4 Allstate Sugar Bowl, however.

Question .... If you WON items, rings, trophies ext.
They belong to you ...

Why can you NOT sell them to help you make your way thru college ?

Well you know the NCAA works, players can get hundreds of dollars in gifts for bowl games since the schools get millions, but since the NCAA gets no cut they wont let the players get other "cash"

Question .... If you WON items, rings, trophies ext.
They belong to you ...

Why can you NOT sell them to help you make your way thru college ?

You don't wanna get into that....I went through HELL when I went to Florida State on a baseball scholarship....

I don't get it.. they can't play in first 5 games of next year but can play in the Bowl game?!? That's not right in its own and to be honest rules are rules and have to be followed.

I don't get it.. they can't play in first 5 games of next year but can play in the Bowl game?!? That's not right in its own and to be honest rules are rules and have to be followed.

In others words...."thank you for helping us in this investigation, we will let you slide for the bowl game, but we will have to punish you for next year..."

In others words...."thank you for helping us in this investigation, we will let you slide for the bowl game, but we will have to punish you for next year..."

Perhaps.. but I would imagin most if not all will jump to the draft after the bowl game is over.... they obviously stand to lose alot if they stay on these and the grounds of all the issues with the NFL strike and whatever that's going to happen.

AJ Green had to sit the first four games for Georgia this year for selling his Music City Bowl Jersey. Georgia was told by the NCAA they would void any wins he played in if they ruled it was true. Georgia kept him out two games then they the NCAA ruled he needed to sit four total. If all things are equal they all should sit the bowl game. In fact OSU should void the last five games, which makes this 5-6 and makes them ineligible for Sugar Bowl.

I think the players/university would be better off if they were able to sit the bowl game and play the first 5 games next season

They should have given the items to their parents. The parents then sell them and they could then claim the Cam Newton defense.

AJ Green had to sit the first four games for Georgia this year for selling his Music City Bowl Jersey. Georgia was told by the NCAA they would void any wins he played in if they ruled it was true. Georgia kept him out two games then they the NCAA ruled he needed to sit four total. If all things are equal they all should sit the bowl game. In fact OSU should void the last five games, which makes this 5-6 and makes them ineligible for Sugar Bowl.

I agree here, just doesn't appear to be fair to what's going on. This is pretty darn close to what Georgia had happened. The Cam newton issue is NOTHING like this so no idea why it's even coming up.

Why are they not suspended for the Bowl game?

Because it would lose its appeal and many people would not watch anymore. The sponsors and the NCAA would lose to much money having them suspended for the bowl game.

Last edited:

Why should they void the last 5 games this year ?

Had no one said anything about it, no one would know till after the new year anyways.
I don't know why the schools would say anything to anyone if they knew, only days before thier game.
The tattoo incident only happened last week from what I have heard.

The other incidents happened in '09, the NCAA picks the worst time to SUDDENLY realize this stuff ? Ya right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts