tOSU being investigated for tattoo-gate?

They violated their amateur status via an NCAA rule. Regular students do not have team jerseys that have any market value in which to curry goods, services or favors. So he cheated they cheated the rules as written and should have been deemed ineligible from that incident forward. I am not really sure why the new classes coming in have to be told over and over about these things; God knows they see and gear about it before they walk in, so it should be REAL EASY to understand; so it stands to reason they think they are above it or can simply get away with it.

I would not say they cheated. I would say they broke a written rule. They are not cheating anyone. IF the universities did not want them to have those gifts, they should have never gave it to them in the 1st place. There is a difference between cheating and breaking a law/rule.

I would not say they cheated. I would say they broke a written rule. They are not cheating anyone. IF the universities did not want them to have those gifts, they should have never gave it to them in the 1st place. There is a difference between cheating and breaking a law/rule.

Would you consider what you did cheating?

Salsadancer, at a lot if schools, students get free or discounted tickets. Was that the case for you? If so, the folks giving you tickets knew you didn't need them... and knew you could give them away, sell them, etc, etc. It was all arranged, don't you agree?

For the record, I don't fault you... not every kid goes away to college with mom and dad's credit card in pocket.

Doesn't every big campus have multitudes of used cd/video game stores, pawn shops, plasma donation centers, etc? It ain't so students can *buy* stuff, at least vs the number who *sell* stuff.

Salsadancer, at a lot if schools, students get free or discounted tickets. Was that the case for you? If so, the folks giving you tickets knew you didn't need them... and knew you could give them away, sell them, etc, etc. It was all arranged, don't you agree?

For the record, I don't fault you... not every kid goes away to college with mom and dad's credit card in pocket.

Doesn't every big campus have multitudes of used cd/video game stores, pawn shops, plasma donation centers, etc? It ain't so students can *buy* stuff, at least vs the number who *sell* stuff.

I was in charge of setting up alumni to pick-up their tickets for football...and in some case social functions...but mostly football. It was not a pre-arranged thing...it was more like, "hey, I am not gonna use the tickets....keep them for yourself" type of thing.... I asked once, if I could give them away...and they mostly said, "do what ya want with them" ...initially, it pissed me off because they were good seats and they were just throwing away their money...but eventually, I realized it was none of my business WHAT they did with their money so I didn't give a sh** ....LOL!

YEP. For myself. I never sold them for over face value because I did not know better and no one knew I was doing it until an alumni that gave me his tickets, wanted them back and I told him I "gave them away".

SO, is this how you got busted, an alumni turned you in for selling them, AFTER he had given them to you?

SO, is this how you got busted, an alumni turned you in for selling them, AFTER he had given them to you?

Yep. From what I was told, he went to the game with another alumni and saw the seats were occupied, apparently they asked them HOW they got the seats and they stated it was sold to them. It is what it is.... It was not made a big stink because I was a nobody and baseball is not a revenue generating sport like football or basketball.

Yep. From what I was told, he went to the game with another alumni and saw the seats were occupied, apparently they asked them HOW they got the seats and they stated it was sold to them. It is what it is.... It was not made a big stink because I was a nobody and baseball is not a revenue generating sport like football or basketball.

What a jackass! Did he not think how that would affect your life?

Was he just pissed he couldn't get his tickets back?? He gave them to you in the first place.

Not a big stink for them, but it sure was for you I'll bet....

And I agree, these tOSU players did not CHEAT, but they did break rules. Personally, I don't see a problem with them selling their personal items, be it CD's, memorabilia or whatever, but I guess those are the rules. (that need to be changed)

Good ol' Sam has a hardon for Ohio State, for who knows why, but he's dead wrong.

What a jackass! Did he not think how that would affect your life?

Was he just pissed he couldn't get his tickets back?? He gave them to you in the first place.

Not a big stink for them, but it sure was for you I'll bet....

You know...the alumni turning me in did not bother me NO WHERE near as much as how FSU treated me after I readily admitted what I did. I was JUST in the tail end of my rehab after my arthro and they refused to help me after the scandal broke out. The ONLY people that knew was the alumni that turned me in, the AD and more than likely the president/chairman. They could have let me finish me rehab...but whatever. I finished school at a GREAT university in upstate NY, got drafted but never got higher than A ball. Such is life...but my so-called "Alma mater" left a very bad taste in my mouth.

BACK to tOSU.... I think this is a prehistoric rule that needs to be eliminated. IF you are gonna GIVE TO KEEP articles of importance to student athletes, then present it to them..and keep it FOR THEM so they won't sell it. PERIOD. Once you have given something to someone, isn't their to do whatever they want with it?! I mean call me weird, but look at transfer rules. A student leaves one school to transfer to another. And he cannot play for one season. WHY? He NO LONGER belongs to your university, he belongs somewhere else/to someone else. It is ALL about the university and what THEY may lose out on the deal...

but maybe it's me...

yaz96 said:
And I agree, these tOSU players did not CHEAT, but they did break rules. Personally, I don't see a problem with them selling their personal items, be it CD's, memorabilia or whatever, but I guess those are the rules. (that need to be changed)
Or as my brother-in-law said, it's not like they sold them for outrageous amounts. If the going rate for item "x" is $2000 and Pryor sold his for say $2500, is that out of line? Now if he sold it for 2x or 10x the going rate, that's asking for trouble.

BACK to tOSU.... I think this is a prehistoric rule that needs to be eliminated. IF you are gonna GIVE TO KEEP articles of importance to student athletes, then present it to them..and keep it FOR THEM so they won't sell it. PERIOD. Once you have given something to someone, isn't their to do whatever they want with it?! I mean call me weird, but look at transfer rules. A student leaves one school to transfer to another. And he cannot play for one season. WHY? He NO LONGER belongs to your university, he belongs somewhere else/to someone else. It is ALL about the university and what THEY may lose out on the deal...

but maybe it's me...

I totally agree with the transfer rule. You signed a "contract" to be on the team at that particular school. They invested time and money in procuring your services. Perhaps they didnt go after another guy that was just as good because you chose to come there, then you leave? I think a year is a good way to help both sides keep their word. If you want to leave, sit out a year.
Sounds fair, and is mirrored in the business world with non compete clauses in some cases (although far from universal).

I totally agree with the transfer rule. You signed a "contract" to be on the team at that particular school. They invested time and money in procuring your services. Perhaps they didnt go after another guy that was just as good because you chose to come there, then you leave? I think a year is a good way to help both sides keep their word. If you want to leave, sit out a year.
Sounds fair, and is mirrored in the business world with non compete clauses in some cases (although far from universal).

Sorry but the student-athlete signs a contract to play and go to school....they do not sign a non-complete clause. The school that the student-athlete transfers to is NOW investing time and money to the student-athlete. But that is for another thread another discussion.;)

Excuse me ... does anyone realize that these players are being "paid" a minimum of $100k and upwards ... it's called a degree from a top notch college/university ... if sports fail they can fall back on their degree which you cannot put a pricetag on
... sick and tired of hearing college athletes don't get paid!!!
They should be taxed on their compensation, I.E. tuition Room and board etc., as ordinary income for this "free ride".. Someone working off campus to pay their tuition and expenses gets taxed. Some of these scholarships at minimum are worth 35K if not more. What does a full year cost at some of the Ivy League schools? Maybe the university should pony up the tax for the compensation. There might be a little better accounting and penalties for some of this "Loose Change'' in college sports.

Sorry but the student-athlete signs a contract to play and go to school....they do not sign a non-complete clause. The school that the student-athlete transfers to is NOW investing time and money to the student-athlete. But that is for another thread another discussion.;)

And sitting out a year is a fair penalty for breaking that contract.
The school that originally recruited, signed, and trained said player shouldnt be protected if the guy suddenly changes his mind? Doesnt like the coach? Feels that the practice is too hard? Isnt playing as much as he wants? Gets homesick?

They should be taxed on their compensation, I.E. tuition Room and board etc., as ordinary income for this "free ride".. Someone working off campus to pay their tuition and expenses gets taxed. Some of these scholarships at minimum are worth 35K if not more. What does a full year cost at some of the Ivy League schools? Maybe the university should pony up the tax for the compensation. There might be a little better accounting and penalties for some of this "Loose Change'' in college sports.

What, you think the government is paying for that free ride for a student-athlete?

ROFLMAO!!!!!

You are too caught up on politics and not real life Bear. You think the government is paying for the new equipment or the added wing to the library that State U just got?

ROFLMAO...!!!

When the university starts sharing some of the profit they make from the student-athlete, THEN they can start taxing for tuition, room, board and books....;)

And sitting out a year is a fair penalty for breaking that contract.
The school that originally recruited, signed, and trained said player shouldnt be protected if the guy suddenly changes his mind? Doesnt like the coach? Feels that the practice is too hard? Isnt playing as much as he wants? Gets homesick?

Remember, the COACH signed the student-athlete, not the school. IF the school suddenly fires a coach, they athlete is stuck with a coach he did not sign with. The NAME of the school is only part of the reason that they sign, in most cases it's either the coach or how much immediate playing time they are gonna get.

Remember, the COACH signed the student-athlete, not the school. IF the school suddenly fires a coach, they athlete is stuck with a coach he did not sign with. The NAME of the school is only part of the reason that they sign, in most cases it's either the coach or how much immediate playing time they are gonna get.

But he has a "contract" with the SCHOOL, not the coach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts