Under the Dome

"The pink stars are falling in lines." Sounds like Grampa Simpson's spell-bound psycho-babble in The Simpson's Movie. Anyway, some things I liked while others were disappointing. Enought to hold my attention...for now.

Substitute Springfield in place of Chester's Mill and it sounds like The Simpson's Movie. :rolleyes:

I have it set.

I agree it sounds like the plot of The Simpsons Movie. :)

Come on guys, do you think the Simpson's movie was really THIER IDEA , sounds more like the Simpsons ripped off the original Dome movie to me.

As for this show, hopefully it won't be like Revolution where 1/2 the people posting don't like it, just posts to say how they didn't like this or that.

I will watch the Premiere tomorrow, I watched the Stanley Cup Finals tonight instead.

Without giving anything away, Under the Dome is showing just a glimmer of promise. You have your typical assortment of dysfunctional characters. From the "boy genius, to the psycho kid, to the power-hungry town leader, to the sickly, old, grizzled police chief, to the criminal. Though the characters are all one dimensional right now, I can see where they can grow a little. The appearance of the dome was pretty cool. And there was one line which I am sure was done as an homage to "The Prisoner" from the 60s.

The good news is that I did not stop the playback, I did not delete the timer. The bad news is I was able to follow the entire pilot without stopping from surfing the net. IOW, not very deep or interesting enough to rip my attention away from the computer, except during the initial dome appearance.

From even the first few minutes of the show, it is clear this is a LOOSE adaptation.

First scene has Barbie dumping a body in a grave - that is NOT the Barbie from the book. He was leaving town, not because he killed someone. Plus the cop Linda's husband Rusty is a physician's assistant, who pretty much provides all medical care, yet in the show he is stuck on the other side of the dome.

The guy who plays "Chef" Busey does not come across as a meth head, and the radio station wasn't an evangelical christian station on the tv.

While I am hopeful, this may be a harder sell for me than Haven, which was just loosely adapted from a short story, The Colorado Kid, but did not have nearly the depth. It was an easy sell.

And the actor choice for Big Jim Rennie strikes me as strange; he isn't BIG enough. But hopefully he has some serious evil in him.

Still, I will give it a chance. :)

Another interesting thing... the cops are in blue, but they are sheriffs deputies. Perkins is supposed to be a police chief, not sheriff. Of course...
he is supposed to die the first time he walks up the dome

Ok, I'll stop... but I was hoping for a 13 episode mini-series of the book. That would have been great.

I liked it ,but have never read the book. I wonder if this is going to be a limited 13 episode series & it wraps up neatly by summer's end?

It was ok to me and I will give it a few more episodes then decide if it's worth keeping!! :)

Not bad,certainly not great either,but for a summer show it's about the best new show going.It and Falling Skies will tide me over until more compelling tv comes back on.

It definitely looks interesting. I told my wife it kind of has that Jericho feel to it.

I may have to go get the book now.

They crammed a ton of stuff from the book into the first episode, but much was disjointed and out of order. Sometimes I don't get what writers are thinking; they have to realize that there are hordes of SK fans who read his books, and blatant changes to the key players really messes with people.

tngtony said:
And there was one line which I am sure was done as an homage to "The Prisoner" from the 60s.
What line was that? I guess it went right by me.

I thought it was pretty good and I want to see the rest.
After psycho boy and Barbie meet each other for the first time and are "interrupted", psycho boy looks at Barbie and says "Be seeing you" turns around and leaves. All that was missing was the little salute.

Unfortunately can't find the clip on youtube, but here is a little montage from "The Prisoner" in the 60s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY9oWfkKt6A

After psycho boy and Barbie meet each other for the first time and are "interrupted", psycho boy looks at Barbie and says "Be seeing you" turns around and leaves. All that was missing was the little salute.

Unfortunately can't find the clip on youtube, but here is a little montage from "The Prisoner" in the 60s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY9oWfkKt6A

I think that line was in the book. Junior Rennie is crazy as a loon. Baaaar-biiiieeee...

As for this show, hopefully it won't be like Revolution where 1/2 the people posting don't like it, just posts to say how they didn't like this or that.
And pointing out mistakes, why this shouldn't happen, why that can't happen, holes in the storyline, etc... Yes ?

...they have to realize that there are hordes of SK fans who read his books, and blatant changes to the key players really messes with people.
The vast majority of viewers probably have NOT read this book (or any Stephen King books) though and are none the wiser.

I think that line was in the book. Junior Rennie is crazy as a loon. Baaaar-biiiieeee...
I wouldn't doubt the line was in the book. It is just such a specific and uncommon form of speech that it was the first thing I thought of when I heard it. Looks like EW thought the same thing
"At one point in the captivating pilot, one trapped character bids adieu to another with an ominous ''Be seeing you'' — a wink to the 1960s cult classic seriesThe Prisoner." EW-6/19/13
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20710367,00.html

I have not read the book, so I do not have an idea of where it is going to go. It is an interesting concept, and I liked the first episode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)