Use "dish mover" or cancel and sign up again

smjbh5

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 3, 2007
SF Bay Area
We're going to be moving to another house soon. I've been a dish customer for over 2 years.

I want to stay with dish.

Should I use the dish mover service? It's free, but I have to sign up for another 2 years.

Should I call dish, tell them I'm moving, ask if they'll give me the same package as a new customer (discounted rate for 6 months, no cost 722)?

Or cancel and sign up with the wife's name (different last name) at the new address? We'll be transferring our existing house phone number, can I use a cell # to sign up?

Has anyone does any of these before?

You'll get a good deal with Dish Mover. Not sure if it'll be as good as a new customer. You'll likely have a 2 year commitment either way.

You'll get a good deal with Dish Mover. Not sure if it'll be as good as a new customer. You'll likely have a 2 year commitment either way.

What's the dish mover deal? All I was told is that it's free and I have to sign up for 2 years, nothing more.

If you cancel, you'll need to wait 6 months to sign up again and get any deal. You'll never get a deal as a new customer but you'll get some kind of deal after 6 months.

If you cancel, you'll need to wait 6 months to sign up again and get any deal. You'll never get a deal as a new customer but you'll get some kind of deal after 6 months.

Why would I have to wait for 6 months? I'll be in a new house, using my wife's name, and another phone number.

What happens to your local channels if you just move yourself? Do they just go out until you contact Dish with your new location?

Does using dish mover give you anything else besides free install?

I guess I can call dish, tell them I'm moving, and ask for some incentive to stay.

What happens to your local channels if you just move yourself? Do they just go out until you contact Dish with your new location?

As long as your Dish would still see the same satellites you would still get the same locals. However you'd be installing the thing yourself (when Dish will do it for free) and you wouldn't be able to receive anything in the mail or have a support guy come out.

I suppose that might be worth it in very few cases.

If you move from an area that has a spotbeam that carries your locals to another area that isn't in the spotbeam, yes you will lose your locals until you call and change your service address. If you're still within the spotbeam, nothing happens. If you're lucky enough to have ConUS locals, nothing happens.

If you move from an area that has a spotbeam that carries your locals to another area that isn't in the spotbeam, yes you will lose your locals until you call and change your service address. If you're still within the spotbeam, nothing happens. If you're lucky enough to have ConUS locals, nothing happens.
Is there a list of ConUS locals? Where can I go to determine if the new location is in the spot beam or not?

Is there a list of ConUS locals? Where can I go to determine if the new location is in the spot beam or not?

They are on 118.7W and 77W. Click on the The List! tab at the top of the page. Then click on Subscription List Home and then the sat location desired to see what's on the sat. The local markets on 118.7W are likely to be removed at some point in the future. The 77W markets await a new satellite before being turned over to spot beams.

I'm soon going to be in the same situation as the OP. I will be moving (within the same city) and have been reasoning through in my head the pros and cons of Dish Mover vs. signing up as a new customer through my wife.

As of now, I'm thinking that there really isn't any benefit to signing up as a new customer...and that I'd actually lose money if I did that. Here's why:
a) New customers would be charged the new rates that just went into effect, but would get $20 off per month for six months.
b) As an existing customer I am charged this new rate as well, but I should qualify for $10 off per month for a whole year. Plus I get $3 off per month this year for having my 722 connected to a broadband.
Hence, I should save $36 per year by using dishmover. Am I right about that?

In addition, I'm thinking that if I have my wife start a new account when we move, I will lose all the recordings stored on my external hard drive...that is, that the recordings on my external hard drive wouldn't work with whatever DVR I would get were we to sign up as new subscribers.

These two reasons -- saving $36 and saving my archived DVR shows -- lead me to think that Dish Mover is the way to go. Disagree?

I'm soon going to be in the same situation as the OP. I will be moving (within the same city) and have been reasoning through in my head the pros and cons of Dish Mover vs. signing up as a new customer through my wife.

As of now, I'm thinking that there really isn't any benefit to signing up as a new customer...and that I'd actually lose money if I did that. Here's why:
a) New customers would be charged the new rates that just went into effect, but would get $20 off per month for six months.
b) As an existing customer I am charged this new rate as well, but I should qualify for $10 off per month for a whole year. Plus I get $3 off per month this year for having my 722 connected to a broadband.
Hence, I should save $36 per year by using dishmover. Am I right about that?

In addition, I'm thinking that if I have my wife start a new account when we move, I will lose all the recordings stored on my external hard drive...that is, that the recordings on my external hard drive wouldn't work with whatever DVR I would get were we to sign up as new subscribers.

These two reasons -- saving $36 and saving my archived DVR shows -- lead me to think that Dish Mover is the way to go. Disagree?

Called dish, I can get the $10 credit/month, plus the $50 upgrade credit (thinking about adding the 211). Might just go this route.

Last edited:
you mean just take the dish with me? I don't think you can do that.

You can...if you want to set it up yourself and stuff. Then you would just call and change your address.

Alternatively if the house you're moving into already has a dish and you just need to plug the receivers in you can do the same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts