Using Dish network outside of USA

pinda

Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Is is possible to legitimately sign up for dish network in the USA and use the receiver in another country to receive dish network??? I was planning to sign up in the southern US and use a 6ft MPEG2 dish to connect to the echostar 6/8 110W satellite. Can this work????? The main thing I am interested in is receiving the Network channels like fox , pbc, cbs etc.....

legally you cannot do it outside of US.

Furthermore, if they call to audit you, you are hosed - for obvious reasons.

Your best choice is Star Choice.

HDTVFanAtic said:
legally you cannot do it outside of US.

Furthermore, if they call to audit you, you are hosed - for obvious reasons.

Your best choice is Star Choice.

Well if you use vonage and have a phone number in the US, you could probably get away with it since they would not have a way to tell where you are located. The content E*/D* provide is licensed to them for retransmission to the US only. So, they are not allowed to sell it to you. Legally? well for echostar/directv it is illegal for them, for you it is up to the laws of your country if you are doing anything illegal.

Dish network is not licensed by the owners of the various channels to distribute them outside the USA. So if they learn their signal is being received on your account outside the U.S., they have no choice but to cancel the account.

It's a slow day at the office. Google brought me to this thread.

I know this is an old thread, but here are plenty of recent photos showing working Dish Network systems in foreign countries: Can I get Dish Network in a foreign country?
And we're supposed to know if those dishes are receiving Dish US programming versus Dish Mexico programming how? Or Dish at all for that matter. DirecTV Latin America offers service to the Caribbean that's quite popular there...

Reactions: charlesrshell
And we're supposed to know if those dishes are receiving Dish US programming versus Dish Mexico programming how? Or Dish at all for that matter. DirecTV Latin America offers service to the Caribbean that's quite popular there...
Well, we do know that there are folks in Mexico that are receiving DISH American programming. We have a few of them that post here often.

Well, we do know that there are folks in Mexico that are receiving DISH American programming. We have a few of them that post here often.
There's possibly some in the Caribbean as well, and I do know of a number of RV'ers that routinely receive Dish US programming in Canada. But the fact remains that the photos shown in netcomm's link tell us nothing about what signals they might be receiving.