Verizon VA Info

FYI -

After noticing that Loudoun County was gone from the list of construction for September, I called thier fiber roll out number (on the Verizon - VA page). They told me that Verizon will be concentrating on the aerial construction (poles) for the rest of 2006 and will resume underground installation in 2007. Therefore, if you've got underground utilities, there will be a delay for FIOS to be available in your area.

Pwc

Neabsco is one of the oldest neighborhoods in PWC along Rte 1. but I figured Verizon would move through the newer neighborhoods in the western half of the county first, oh well thats probably why Im not a Developer. Im in Lake Ridge so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for now. :up

danm2z said:
FYI -

After noticing that Loudoun County was gone from the list of construction for September, I called thier fiber roll out number (on the Verizon - VA page). They told me that Verizon will be concentrating on the aerial construction (poles) for the rest of 2006 and will resume underground installation in 2007. Therefore, if you've got underground utilities, there will be a delay for FIOS to be available in your area.
I found a flyer on my front door yesterday saying that they would be laying fiber soon. I'm in Ashburn.

Spotsylvania County

As you know, Verizon filed an application with Spotsylvania (6 July) in order to provide cable TV service to County residents using their fiber to the home technology. Last Thursday, 14 September 2006, the Spotsylvania County Cable TV & Telecommunications commission voted unanimously to approve the agreement with a few conditions. There are still a couple of items the negotiating teams are trying to rectify, however it is expected that a final agreement will soon be on its way to the Board of Supervisors and also a public hearing.

If the numbers hold true then County residents are expected to save, on average, 23% on their cable tv service. This is HUGE NEWS and I am not sure why this story is not being covered in the Freelance Star (local newspaper). In addition to saving area residents MILLIONS of dollars each year, competition will also improved services and drive down prices for everyone...Comcast and Cox customers alike.

Verizon nearing approval for cable TV franchise in Spotsylvania County

Full Story in Fredericksburg Freelance Star

Spotsylvania County residents might soon have a cable television service besides Cox Communications and Adelphia Cable--Verizon's new FiOS TV.

The county is moving toward approval of a Verizon franchise that might put price and performance pressure on the established providers that had carved up Spotsylvania and previously faced competition only from satellite TV.

In addition to increasing competition, approval could also bring cable TV and high-speed Internet to parts of the county that lack those amenities, said Herbert W. Pritchett Sr., chairman of Spotsylvania's Cable TV & Telecommunications Commission.

Read the Full Story Here

Spotsylvania County: Notice of Public Hearing

The Fredericksburg Free Lance Star

Notice of Public Hearing​

The board of Supervisors of the County of Spotsylvania will hold a public hearing on October 24, 2006, at 6:30 p.m., in the meeting room of the Richard E. Holbert Memorial Building at 9104 Courthouse Road, for the consideration of the grant of a cable television franchise to Verizon Virginia, Inc. If approved, the franchise will authorize Verizon to provide cable television service to County residents using the company's new "Fiber-to-the-Premise" network. Verizon has agreed to complete construction of a system capable of providing cable service to residents served by the company's Lee Hill and Brokenburg wire centers within four years of the grant of a franchise. The company has also agreed to pass at least 65% of homes in the County within seven years, and the County will have the option of requiring the company to pass at least 80% of homes within 10 years.

Verizon will pay a franchise free in return for its use of public property. Verizon will provide free cable service at schools and other public buildings within its service area, channel capacity for use by the County government and schools, and financial support for those channels. The agreement also contains provisions designed to protect the public, including customer service standards, enforcement provisions, insurance requirements and indemnification requirements.

Documentation related to this issue is available for review in the Office of the County Administrator located at 9104 Courthouse Road, at Spotsylvania Courthouse, and is available for public inspection between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Persons requiring reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the public hearing are encouraged to contact the County Administrator at least 3 days prior to the hearing.

Attachments

• Verizon_Franchise.jpg
    Verizon_Franchise.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Cable TV options coming to Spotsy

Full Story

The Spotsylvania Board of Supervisors may usher in a new era of cable TV competition in the county tonight.

It's likely to approve a franchise for Verizon's FiOS-TV service at a public hearing.

The county's Cable TV & Telecommunications Commission voted unanimously to recommend approving the franchise with a few conditions. Those have now been worked out, according to Brian Scott, Spotsylvania's information technology representative.

Up to this point, Cox Communications and Adelphia Cable, the latter recently bought out by Comcast Cable, had carved up the county and there was no real competition, except from satellite TV services.

Verizon is expected to challenge both companies in a battle for customers for cable TV, Internet and telephone service in Spotsylvania.

continued...

To the ones that Live in Stafford, the next meeting of the cable committee will be November 16, 2006 I sent them an email and I will attend, because I need some questions answer as where they stand in Ref. to Verizon FIOS. The info is below if you are interest.

Cable Television Advisory Committee
Thursday, Nov 16, 2006
07:00 pm - 08:00 pm

Address: Government Center
1300 Courthouse Road
Stafford, VA 22554
Email: publicinfo@co.stafford.va.us

Here is the response I got from my email...

Thank you for your e-mail about cable services in Stafford County.

Verizon has not approached the County yet about obtaining a franchise to provide cable serivce; however, we do expect that they will contact us very soon. We so have a new franchise with Cox Communications, and will shortly have a new franchise with Comcast (who bought out Adelphia). We believe that Comcast will provide quality services and good customer service once the company catches up with construction projects and upgrades that Adelphia could not finalize due to its bankruptcy proceedings.

Please be aware that the Board of Supervisors has appointed a Cable Television Advisory Committee to address any specific service problems you may be having with Comcast (Adelphia). You may e-mail me with any problems, and I'll pass them along to the Comcast representative for our area to address.

Thank you for the update. Sadly, it looks like my part of FFX has a long wait ahead.

On the positive side, it'll give 'em time to come out with a decent DVR.

Verizon Unveils Next Generation of FiOS

Spotsy should see the new FiOS TV by mid-year...

Full Story

Verizon Unveils Next Generation of FiOS That Redefines Home Entertainment Experience for Customers

Enhanced FiOS TV Services and New Interactive Media Guide Make It Easy to Enjoy Content Across All Media

"On Sunday (Jan. 7) Verizon unveiled the next generation of its FiOS TV service, which makes it easy for consumers to find and manage multimedia content, and creates the most advanced combination of voice, broadband, mobile and TV services content in the industry."

The Future of TV Arrives As Verizon Launches FiOS TV in Virginia Beach

Full Story

The future of television is arriving for consumers in parts of Virginia Beach as Verizon introduces FiOS TV over its revolutionary fiber-optic network.

Verizon delivers FiOS TV over the nation's largest digital, all-fiber network. Only this network has earned the certification of the independent Fiber to the Home Council for providing fiber all the way to customers' homes.

"The New Year is starting off right for Virginia Beach residents who are able to choose Verizon's FiOS TV," said Robert W. Woltz Jr., president of Verizon Virginia. "Customers who liked what FiOS has done for their Internet connection will love what it does for their TV."

Verizon FiOS TV is available now to more than 37,000 households in parts of Aragona, Arrowhead, Carolanne Farms, Chesopian Colony, Great Neck, Haygood, Kings Grant, Lake Edward, Little Neck, London Bridge, Lynbrook Landing, Lynnhaven Acres, Pembroke Manor, Point of View, Thalia and Witchduck Landing.

Be still, my beating heart. Orange conduit is going into the ground only a mile or so from my house. Maybe we're down to a year or 2!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)