Verizon VA Info

It's all well and good that Verizon is fighting tooth and nail to get agreements for serving video. It does not good, however, until the service is actually available. I live in Loudoun, where Comcast took over from Adelphia. Apprently, they don't notice the competition too much, since they raised rates on cable modem service by 35%, unless you also subscribe to one of their video services. I complained to my supervisor about this extortion (also one of my neighbors, so I know he can't get FIOS either). He didn't even bother to respond. Comcast claims they are offering a 'discount' if you bundle video and internet together. This is the strangest definition of discount I have heard, where the prices are raised so they can put the service 'on sale' at the same price it was before.

Similarly, in MontCo Maryland, Comcast raised rates immediately after the council granted a franchise to Verizon. They know that the service is only available in limited areas, but because there is now "competition" within their service area, they are free to set their rates whereever they want!

Some company has been putting the orange tubing in the ground on my street here in Stafford, Va. This has been going on for the past 2 weeks. I notice them earlier this year laying the orange tubing down Rt 1 from the Quantico Area.
I live on Telegraph Road, new housing down from the FBI academy. Sandwich between R1 and I95. Could this be Verizon, since The former Adelphia now owned by comcast already have fiber optic cable in the ground in this area.

Hello everyone!!! This is my first post and I was wondering when will FioS be available in Alexandria, VA. I live right across the street from the Potomac Yard Shopping Center on Jefferson Davis Hwy (Route 1) at the Reserve at Potomac Yard apartment complex. I have been calling Verizon for the past 2 months and all I get that it is coming "soon." Then the rep tells me that Verizon DSL is available and I tell her well that is too slow for me and I have Comcast HSI (High Speed Internet) and Digital Cable. We here in Alexandria are at the mercy of ComCast and they have raised their rates yet once again. Once in January 2007 and now in April 2007 is this a sign that Verizon FioS is coming? Anyone who knows anything about Alexandria know that it is a very unique city. It sits in both Fairfax and Arlington counties while it still maintains its independence as Alexandria City. I have been here for 2 years now and I still can't understand it. But I digress. So guys please feel free to respond to my posting and I look forward to hearing from yous guys :)

Other than the construction schedules which are posted here regularly (and available from Verizon at http://www22.verizon.com/about/community/va/), I don't believe there's a published list of what locations will be available at what times. Based on what I've heard from a friend of mine who works for Verizon, there's quite a bit of variability beyond the next month. In many cases, the construction permits and contracts have been issued, it's just a matter of waiting for the budget to fund it.

On the internet front, the Washington Post just had a story on wireless internet being made available in Alexandria by the fall. Then, at least you wouldn't be hostage to a particular Comcast package.

Hello everyone!!! This is my first post and I was wondering when will FioS be available in Alexandria, VA. I live right across the street from the Potomac Yard Shopping Center on Jefferson Davis Hwy (Route 1) at the Reserve at Potomac Yard apartment complex. I have been calling Verizon for the past 2 months and all I get that it is coming "soon." Then the rep tells me that Verizon DSL is available and I tell her well that is too slow for me and I have Comcast HSI (High Speed Internet) and Digital Cable. We here in Alexandria are at the mercy of ComCast and they have raised their rates yet once again. Once in January 2007 and now in April 2007 is this a sign that Verizon FioS is coming? Anyone who knows anything about Alexandria know that it is a very unique city. It sits in both Fairfax and Arlington counties while it still maintains its independence as Alexandria City. I have been here for 2 years now and I still can't understand it. But I digress. So guys please feel free to respond to my posting and I look forward to hearing from yous guys :)

Your rate increase is a very good sign. This means that they are trying to milk you as much as possible before Fios is available. Watch once it is for the steep discounts and signup/retention specials. Same thing happened here. Here is what I told them and you should too. "Haaaaaaaaaaaaa, nice try."

I just had Verizon install the FIOS main line in my neighborhood. Today Verizon was splicing in the fiber lines in the terminal boxes. I asked the verizon worker when their serice would be available and he said in two months. They are going to activate and test the fiber lines. I cannot wait until all their service is aviable here in Newport News, VA.

I just got a call from a Verizon rep and he told me that all services are available here in Kiln Creek Subdivision in Newport News, VA. I am thinking about switching over to FOS from Cox.

Install went good. Enjoying the great video quality of the Fios. The internet is a little faster than my Cox (5meg down; 2meg up).

Hello, first post. I am in the Dale City area of Woodbridge. It looks like they are installing in the area, but I still can't get FIOS. I have a few questions for anyone that has FIOS. The advertisements I've been seeing for the past few monthes show FIOS prices in line with Comcast, yet maybe better services for that price. I haven't seen Comcast lowering any prices. How long does it take before real competition begins? $40 a month for internet and another $40 for TV of the most basic type still seems a bit high to me.

Last question, is HD included in the basic FIOS package, assuming I rent or buy an HD receiver? I was looking on the package pages, and couldn't determine that Verizon charges for an HD package like the rest of the world. Who can confirm?

Hello, first post. I am in the Dale City area of Woodbridge. It looks like they are installing in the area, but I still can't get FIOS. I have a few questions for anyone that has FIOS. The advertisements I've been seeing for the past few monthes show FIOS prices in line with Comcast, yet maybe better services for that price. I haven't seen Comcast lowering any prices. How long does it take before real competition begins? $40 a month for internet and another $40 for TV of the most basic type still seems a bit high to me.

Last question, is HD included in the basic FIOS package, assuming I rent or buy an HD receiver? I was looking on the package pages, and couldn't determine that Verizon charges for an HD package like the rest of the world. Who can confirm?

There is not an additional charge for HD. When you rent the reciever that has HD capability you get HD. You should find that overall the package price for Fios is better than cable. Now, once Fios makes a good headway into your area the promotions for cable will start to hit. Usually for new customers first. Sometimes they will offer specials to keep existing customers from switching, but the savings are usually for the first 3 months of a year long contract. At the end of the contract most people don't go back to renegotiate and it ends up costing them more than if they had just switched in the first place.

I feel that I need to say more. If you are just wanting basic television then Fios is not for you. If you want high quality HD programming then Fios is the best bet. Now, on the Internet side, Fios hands down. Better speeds, more stable network, and lower costs. No one beats Fios with their Internet offering. Last would be phone. This is where Verizon takes a plunge. Their service is too expensive. There are much better choices out there. Shop the Internet and choose the one that best fits your needs and pocket book. Technically they all work as well as the other. Until Verizon makes a great deal on bundling, don't fall for the 5.00 bundle discount. Better savings are to be had.

There is not an additional charge for HD. When you rent the reciever that has HD capability you get HD. You should find that overall the package price for Fios is better than cable.
I feel that I need to say more. If you are just wanting basic television then Fios is not for you. If you want high quality HD programming then Fios is the best bet.
Thanks, that is what I thought about the TV. And I don't want basic TV, but that is what I am willing to pay. Right now I don't even have TV service because I don't feel like budgeting for a lot of channels that I don't want. I would love a package where I could get just the channels my wife and I watch (probably less than 20 between the two of us), plus some music and on demand channels, all in HD for a price of $30-$40 total including the receiver. I don't see why I should have to buy a basic package to get what I want. But now I'm on a tangent ranting.
Now, on the Internet side, Fios hands down. Better speeds, more stable network, and lower costs. No one beats Fios with their Internet offering. Last would be phone. This is where Verizon takes a plunge. Their service is too expensive. There are much better choices out there. Shop the Internet and choose the one that best fits your needs and pocket book. Technically they all work as well as the other. Until Verizon makes a great deal on bundling, don't fall for the 5.00 bundle discount. Better savings are to be had.
I already pay near $60 a month for Comcast internet. Can't wait to switch that. I don't see why they keep trying to push these phone bundles. I've only used a cell phone in my adult life. These phone bundles they offer add no benefit that I can see. I wonder how many more of my generation are also giving up on land line phones and are annoyed by these companies trying to push VOIP on them (I know it may not be VOIP, but it is closer to that than old school phone systems, I think).

FIOS in STAFFORD VA

Does anyone know when FIOS will make it into Stafford VA. I can't seem to find any information on when they are going to be in Stafford Va. Does anyone know?

OK so what are your real bills? Not the BS price they quote you but the bill with all of the fed line subscriber charges the tax fed and state, etc etc?

OK so what are your real bills? Not the BS price they quote you but the bill with all of the fed line subscriber charges the tax fed and state, etc etc?

I should be able to tell you next month with my full month billing. Also I did add HBO to my HD package today.

Any word when Fios will be available in Portsmouth, VA. I live near Churchland High School. Is there any website or phone number existing so I can find out how long it will be before the service is available here?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts