Very seriously about becoming a retailer...

40_oz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 29, 2005
Very serious about becoming a retailer...

Ok, so im about 100% sure I want to become a retailer. Ive installed cable, dtv and now dish for the past 2 years as a contractor. I know quite a bit about the problems/prices that dish has to offer, but Id like to hear from some of you who have been there, done that.
I realize that dnsc installs are hurting many retailers, however in my particular area(wisconsin)dish does not do any sales. About 60 miles south of here is where the whole SBC/Dish thing is everywhere(Right now I actually do fullfilment work a LOT more than local)
Im sure there are many more insightful tips I can get from some of you, but here are some questions I can think of off the top of my head:

What dish pays for retail sales(I know the fullfillment prices, but want to prioritize local sales--I am in a SD-121 market)

how long does it take to get paid?--ive heard very conflicting reports

how long for equipment credits for fullfillment--again, very conflicting

How dificult is it to gain a retail contract/lisc? It looks like they give it to anyone..

What are some do/donts for a startup retailer?

What can i expect to be big problems?

do's/donts?

and of course...how much startup $$ would be sufficient to keep the boat afloat in the beginning if you had to do it over again?

Thanks for your time and I realize some people may not feel comfortable answering some of my questions in the forum..feel free to email me:

sfoth@sbcglobal.net

your help is greatly appreciated!

oh yes, and do you think it would be worthwhile doing fullfllment work as a steady source of income(despite the headaches) on top of retail sales? if so..right away or wait off on that for a while?
and are there better forums for questions of this sort? I havent found much about it here..just technical aspects that Im quite familiar with

SimpleSimon said:
Yeah, but that's the right place for this type of question.

No reputable retailer is going to give you the answers you want in a public forum.

Thats why I gave my email addy..just hoping for a little real advice. Its always good to hear the negatives before getting into a new business venture and I thought it may be easier to get info from someone who is not in my local area and going to be a competitor.

Just know that when you step into sales, you have to be prepared for chargebacks when customers cancel. You'll need a few admins at least for paperwork. Many of the retailers that last in the business are the ones with deeper pockets than other type of retail work. No one can tell you the finances of operation on a public forum so you'd want to register on that site for further info.

Some of the do's would actually be to work FOR a retailer in the office. Then you can see the in's and out's. Training and having good installers consistently is also key. But that's about all I can disclose specifically here. If you have other general questions that can be answered, just reply back here.

Thanks for the advice...I do know about the chargebacks and have seen the frustration, but never had to deal with them myself yet.
Getting good installers would not be a problem for me. I know all the local installers worth knowing and have helped them on jobs/seen their work quite a bit. Quite a few got turned away from dish installs because of the driving and my plan is to concentrate more on local sales. Its a whole lot easier to keep the customer and techs happy...turnaround of both can lead to big problems.
I would like to get more ifo specifically from Dishnet, but it seems they do not want to disclose anything until after you jump on board. I really do not want to open a storefront before Im able to see more specific numbers. It just doesn't make sense to get a lease, then find out it is no longer a worthwhile venture.

I know its a lot of work and strees from chargebacks and waiting to get paid, but is it still a realistic goal?
I am thinking about doing small security systems/video surveilence as well, but want to stick to what I know best at least for the first year..which would be relying 100% on dish.

Whatever you do, make sure you have a VIABLE business plan and stick to it.

I don't believe you can have a successful business plan by selling Dish/Direct as your only business, at least not starting now.

Do you have a local small business association where you live? They can give great advice about starting a business.

Eddie

You wanna be a retailer.

Grab a 16oz hammer and hit yourself in the head until you no longer want to be a retailer...Believe me you will be happier hitting yourself in the head with a hammer then being a retailer.

well right now Im an installer that does dnsc fullfillment, so im responsible for all my work for a year if some dumbass csr deems it necessary for a trouble call..including things like:
customers power was shut off during install so I could not run a check switch
police handcuffed customer for domestic dispute so I could not show them how to use the remote
customers dish was "stolen"

yes, those are actuall, relatively typical reasons that the csr makes me drive 60+ miles one way for free. At least if I did my own sales I could filter them out...
customer no shows, los isues, cops, no such address etc.. count against my efficiency

anyways, I know theres good and bad with everything and even how it sits now Id have to say I wouldnt trade it for most peoples professions. Its all BS one way or another. I just wanna be my own boss so I can be more of a slave to dish :)

Id much rather hear some actual up/downsides than hitting myself in the head with a hammer ;)

thank you all tho, you make me smile....and wonder if its worth it

oh, heres a new question for all you current retailers out there...
Why do you stay with it if its THAT bad?

not meant at all as a flame here, its a serius question..there has to be somethin good about it..i think

We stay in it because it's so dang hard to get out without losing residuals, etc.

You can NOT sell your dealership.

Most of us have diversified so that DBS sales are 50% OR LESS of total sales.

You REALLY need to get registered over at dishretailer.com to continue this.

Have the requirements changed? I tried to register at dishretailer.com once, got denied because I don't HAVE a retail business yet. I was after the same type of info, what it takes to do it and others' opinions on whether it was worthwhile.

40_oz said:
Thanks for the advice...I do know about the chargebacks and have seen the frustration, but never had to deal with them myself yet.
Getting good installers would not be a problem for me. I know all the local installers worth knowing and have helped them on jobs/seen their work quite a bit. Quite a few got turned away from dish installs because of the driving and my plan is to concentrate more on local sales. Its a whole lot easier to keep the customer and techs happy...turnaround of both can lead to big problems.
I would like to get more ifo specifically from Dishnet, but it seems they do not want to disclose anything until after you jump on board. I really do not want to open a storefront before Im able to see more specific numbers. It just doesn't make sense to get a lease, then find out it is no longer a worthwhile venture.

I know its a lot of work and strees from chargebacks and waiting to get paid, but is it still a realistic goal?
I am thinking about doing small security systems/video surveilence as well, but want to stick to what I know best at least for the first year..which would be relying 100% on dish.

If you can do fulfillment work as a contractor and do some sales as a retailer, that might not be too bad. Try working from your home at first. You can make money but it'll take a while to brand yourself in the community. You probably want to see if any of your installed customers will refer you some sales. If so, you may want to start it. If not, your sales are probably too far and between to make it worthwhile. But starting it up won't cost much if you do it from your home. Many retailers start out that way. Let me tell you one thing though. There are many more installers/contractors out there than retailers. That should be a good clue into how hard it is to be a successful retailer.

If you proceed with this madness just rember one thing.
Dish is going to screw you every chance they get,but since your in the installation business you already have the vaseline handy.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
If you can do fulfillment work as a contractor and do some sales as a retailer, that might not be too bad. Try working from your home at first. You can make money but it'll take a while to brand yourself in the community. You probably want to see if any of your installed customers will refer you some sales. If so, you may want to start it. If not, your sales are probably too far and between to make it worthwhile. But starting it up won't cost much if you do it from your home. Many retailers start out that way. Let me tell you one thing though. There are many more installers/contractors out there than retailers. That should be a good clue into how hard it is to be a successful retailer.

The problem Im running into is that they want a storefront to even consider you as a retailer, and I dont want to lease a store for a "consideration"
That is exactly what I'd like to start doing tho, take it slow, see how it goes. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good distributor to talk to in the wisconsin/illinois area?
I do have about 10-15 sales I can do any time, but I advised them to wait and see if the 1000 comes out since they are mainly HD customers..not too mention they might as well be my sales instead of sending them to someone else :) I also found someone who gets paid peanuts to make dish sales...he averages 6/day, but that is in another market. Theres only one way to see how he'd do here!

As far as the vaseline comment..yes, I know all too well.

As far as registering on dishretailer...same issue there: I cannot get access without giving proof of already being a retailer. I am not yet a retailer, I just want info on it

Thanks for all the help so far, the downsides are probably more important to hear about than the ups anyways!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)