Warner Home Video boss blasts Sony @ El Reg

here is the article from the link.

The battle between the next-generation games consoles will determine the winner of the fight between the next-generation optical disc formats.

So claimed the president of Warner Home Video, Warren Lieberfarb, this week, as he slammed Sony's strategy to help Blu-ray Disc (BD) to beat HD DVD. Ironically, Warner itself is playing it safe by backing both BD and HD DVD.

Lieberfarb's concern is that Sony is turning the optical disc battle into the console fight, and vice versa. And with Microsoft tossing its hat in the ring on the side of HD DVD, he's probably right. Certainly, Sony's decision to equip the PS3 with a BD drive will have helped many a content company come down on the side of BD.

"If I put Blu-Ray in PlayStation and I don't license it to Microsoft for Xbox and I get all the studios to only publish in PlayStation, I'll beat Microsoft in the next-generation games market," said Lieberfarb, speaking at the European Video Perspectives conference in Biarritz, France.

"Hollywood blew it. They got duped," Lieberfarb claimed. "They could have created the format that optimised their creative interests. It looks like we lost, because there are six studios supporting Blu-Ray and only three supporting HD-DVD.

"We've been sucked into PlayStation versus Xbox," he said.

And there's no doubt on which side of the fence Lieberfarb sits - he called on the video industry to back HD DVD and, by his own argument, Microsoft and Xbox.

"Convergence is here, everything is digital, the Internet is going to deliver video, you are going to want to pass information from one device to another, and HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray is really the first battle in the issue of who controls the home," he said.

Indeed. Sony or Microsoft - take your pick... ®

I am almost 100% sure he is no longer associated with WHV; I think he was fired or quit after the AOL merger. He is an avid anti SONY advocate and a consultant for Microsoft. So his stance is somewhat PAID!

WARREN N. LIEBERFARB is Chairman of Lieberfarb & Associates LLC, a Los Angeles based consulting and investment firm specializing in media, entertainment, and technology. In December 2002, Mr. Lieberfarb completed more than 20 successful years at Warner Home Video, the home entertainment arm of Warner Bros. Entertainment. Mr. Lieberfarb was appointed President of Warner Home Video in 1984, having served previously as Senior Vice President, Sales and Marketing. Mr. Lieberfarb initially joined Warner Bros. in 1975 as Vice President of Marketing, and subsequently served as head of International Advertising and Publicity for the motion pictures division. Prior to Warner Bros., Mr. Lieberfarb served as Vice President of Telecommunications at Twentieth Century Fox and as Executive Assistant to the President of Paramount Pictures.

Mr. Lieberfarb serves as a member of the Board of Directors of Sirius Satellite Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI). He is also on the University of Pennsylvania's Board of Trustees, the Library Board of Overseers and the Undergraduate Advisory Board of The Wharton School. In addition, Mr. Lieberfarb serves on the Board of Directors and Board of Trustees of the American Film Institute, and chairs its Entrepreneurial Committee.

Mr. Lieberfarb was the recipient of a 1999 Emmy Award from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences and the 2002 Wharton/Infosys "Technology Change Agent" award. In 2003, he received the "Chevalier dans l'ordre des arts et des lettres" (Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters) from the French Ministry of Culture and Communications, the "Medal du Festival" from the Cannes Film Festival, and the MIPCOM DVD Lifetime Achievement Award.

Mr. Lieberfarb holds a B.S. in Economics from The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and an M.B.A. from the University of Michigan.

ALSO

Warren N. Lieberfarb, has been a director since September 2003. Mr. Lieberfarb is the president and chief executive officer of Warren N. Lieberfarb & Associates, a media, entertainment and technology consulting firm. From 1984 until December 2002, Mr. Lieberfarb was President of Warner Home Video, a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Entertainment, a global leader in the creation, distribution, licensing and marketing of theatrical motion pictures, television programming, animation, video/DVD and related products. Mr. Lieberfarb serves on the board of trustees of the University of Pennsylvania, on the board's nominating and development committees, and on the undergraduate executive board of The Wharton School. He also serves on the board of directors and the board of trustees of the American Film Institute, and chairs its entrepreneurial committee, and on the board of directors of Digital Theatre Systems, Inc. Mr. Lieberfarb is also a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

No matter how hard you're trying to discredit him (this is the second thread you're trashing him), he *DID* make a point.

Oh and bashing Sony is definitely a positive action. I have yet to see such a sneaky arrogant company like Sony during the last few years, topped by its latest illegal hacking of everybody's computer by its rootkit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)