welcome pack and ota with 222k - dish says too bad

I have a 211k that I keep hooked up to my western arc dish, just to keep my ota antenna powered-terk 44 clip on , and it gets all the free view channels and it also gets ota channels. Now I get no guide data for the ota channels ,but it lets me scan or add or delete the ota channels I want . I can even change the names of them . I haven't used this 211k on my account since 2012, when I got the hopper /joey system.

Reactions: fhsucade07
I have a 211k that I keep hooked up to my western arc dish, just to keep my ota antenna powered-terk 44 clip on , and it gets all the free view channels and it also gets ota channels. Now I get no guide data for the ota channels ,but it lets me scan or add or delete the ota channels I want . I can even change the names of them . I haven't used this 211k on my account since 2012, when I got the hopper /joey system.

Can you still record and play back those OTA channels as well as view other recorded programming?

Does anyone know if you can add international programming to the Welcome Package? My Dad is curious and, in return, has made me curious. Can you add something like TV Monde 5 or Cricket and then throw on the World Pack? He wants it for FS1 and Golf (he is a road racing fan and wants to see the Sonoma race next weekend). I can't find a straight answer and he's not a techie guy so won't do any kind of online access.

Does anyone know if you can add international programming to the Welcome Package? My Dad is curious and, in return, has made me curious. Can you add something like TV Monde 5 or Cricket and then throw on the World Pack? He wants it for FS1 and Golf (he is a road racing fan and wants to see the Sonoma race next weekend). I can't find a straight answer and he's not a techie guy so won't do any kind of online access.
Definitely, yes.

Reactions: fhsucade07
That is exactly how I use my ViP211, except that I never change the names of the OTA channels, since they always change back when I rescan. However, when I still had a DTV Pal, I would change the names of some of the OTA channels, since the new names would still be there even after a rescan. The DTV Pal even scanned for new local channels automatically when it was in standby. It would be nice if Dish could include this type of functionality in their OTA-capable satellite receivers.

Reactions: TheKrell
Check out the Channel Master DVR+ it's a nice OTA DVR.

Check out the Channel Master DVR+ it's a nice OTA DVR.
Thanks, but I am not using my ViP211 as a DVR since the DVR functionality gets shut off when it is deactivated. For that matter, I never had it activated as a DVR in the first place. OTA functionality is more important to me than DVR functionality.

Thanks, but I am not using my ViP211 as a DVR since the DVR functionality gets shut off when it is deactivated. For that matter, I never had it activated as a DVR in the first place. OTA functionality is more important to me than DVR functionality.
Doesn't your tv have it's own tuner? Otherwise, I really don't see the point of having a separate box that doesn't record.

Doesn't your tv have it's own tuner? Otherwise, I really don't see the point of having a separate box that doesn't record.
It still works as a satellite receiver for free preview channels, so this way, the OTA and satellite channels are integrated on the same receiver. It makes channel-surfing easier than having to switch inputs on the TV. Also, the receiver's OTA tuner sometimes picks up channels that the TV's built-in tuner does not.

As an experiment, a couple of days ago I added an OTA module to an old deactivated ViP722k that I had previously used for All American Direct. I have kept it plugged in and connected to the satellite signal ever since then, so it still works for free preview channels. With the module installed, it now also works for OTA. Since I am able to access the OTA channels on my deactivated receivers, it seems odd that the OP would be unable to access the OTA channels on an activated receiver.

I think we narrowed the OP's problem down to the fact that he was only pointed at 61.5.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread. This weekend I was able to aim the dish to get both 61.5 and 72. Dish tried a few things and the thing that finally solved the problem was an update to my software. So I am guessing I needed to see both satellites in order to get the update which in turn solved my issue. Good thing this isn't my day job.

I mounted the dish on an old wood post at my neighbors house to achieve this so now I have to find a good place to mount it on my property. Any idea of how much margin I need in azimuth? +/- 10 degrees from where I aim according to dishpointer or +/- 10 degrees from each individual satellite - which may be close to impossible? The good news is that I mounted it perfectly plumb so I should only have to swing the azimuth around to get it dialed in since the skew an elevation should be the same.

Also, can I do this with 2 different dishes, I think the 1000.4 has the provision for a "wing" dish?

So to sum things up, I have the welcome pack and locals and my OTA tuner is enabled. I hope someone finds this info useful in the future if they run into the same problems i did.

Reactions: TheKrell
That was my guess back in post #29. When you said you were only seeing 61.5 red flags went up about getting updates. Glad everything works now. But the real lesson learned? Ask no questions of the phone CSR's if you want educated answers. :biggrin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)