What is going to happen to 121?

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I had been wanting to get the German channels....I decided to go ahead and buy a SD 121, since the prices have dropped so much.

I was wondering if the were really going to move the internationals? If they do, does that mean they will have to upgrade me for free? Or......Since they did'nt do my 121 install, will I be out of luck?

Thanks

If they move, it will be to 61.5 or 148

I know they mirror the channels on 121 for a while but they would probably do one of them "agree to a year of the channel and get the dish for free"

miguelaqui, i know what you mean. I'm wanting to move out and an apt with an open view of the southern sky just became avail. no prob for a superdish. but there's no way i could set up a 61.5 dish. this apt is on the west side of the building. i just called dishnetwork and the rep said yeah dish wants to get rid of the superdish. i told him how 7 arabic channels already moved to the 61.5. he knew about it. he said the other internationals will eventually go to the 61.5 or 148. if it's 148 i'm ok. i better do a 6 month lease to be safe.

what kind of deal are you getting? i'd be the same situation. new dish customer. the rep said it'd be $149 for equip and install, and then $16.99 + 6 = $22.99/month. That's the German Language Package and a some kind of access fee. Is there a way to get a better deal?

I'm just going to install it myself...no deal.

Wherever you are living, if you can get 148, you'll be in good shape. If they decide to move it , they will not put it on 61.5 without putting it on 148 also. 61.5 is too hard to get on the West Coast; 148 is almost impossible to get on the East Coast. I know one guy who put a dish on a silo and was able to get 148 here.

My main concern is that they would put it on AMC 16. I assume, if they do that, I would just have to repoint the superdish.

If you just want German that deal would be the only solution. They make you pay that $6 access fee because you do not have a basic package.

Last edited:
If you are willing to install it yourself miguelaqui, you are looking at about $200 worth of stuff, and possibly more.

Hopefully, you know how to point dishes.

What I did to get a wing dish (Warning, YMMV):

I was in the same situation as you.

I had a superdish only setup, and was fearing some channels would go to the wings.

I threatened to cancel my DN service, because my SF locals were on 148, but are being transferred to 110, and they would not give me my wing dish, for free.

Sadly, I had to subscribe to Alter Globe, which is a wing dish only channel, and I got my wing dish, for free, on 4-26-2006.

What I would use for an excuse, for cancel, to get the wing, well, this is the problem...

I can't really think of an excuse, for miguelaqui, and MikeCTM2, to get this dish, other than, you want to threaten to cancel DN, you want alter globe, and you don't want to pay for the wing dish.

That's all I can think of.

Dish built, launched and owns 121 100% themselves. The same can't be said with some of their other satellites. I highly doubt they would just dump this after all that investment. What I still can't figure out is why they don't manufacture a LNBF assebly upgrade for the 121 SD that would allow it to also get 129. People on this site have shown picturs of a makeshift version of this working. Since the 129 is a stronger signal than the 121, it can be easily done. This could be the ultimate 1 dish solution.

Where are people coming up with Dish is doing away with Echo9 121W?????
The only thing I've heard of is they are doing away with AMC15 105W which they don't own but lease. Echo9 is owned totally by dish and up until Echo 10 was there newest satellite to lauch. I may eat my words but people need to read the whole post before they start spreading rumurs like this.

Well, even if E* owns the 121 satellite and all, the SUPERDISH and its associated DP34 switch is a much more expensive setup for DISH Network to use on its customers than a Dish500 and its DP Twin, Quad, or DPP Twin setup. DISH Network is now requiring customers to pay for the 2nd wing dish for internationals so they're actually saving lots of money by not giving SUPERDISHes for free. I don't agree with their tactic since people don't like 2 dishes or even less paying for 'em.

When and if they do put all the internationals on the wings, they may simply use SUPERDISH121 for broadband. Or simply just lease the space/satellite to someone else. Just because they own it don't mean that they should continue to have high new customer acquisition cost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)