Which HD receiver would be right for me? Help me make a decision.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Desertnight

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Up in the sky, out of the way
I have done a lot of reading but I can't make a decision on which HD receiver would be right for me. I also get confused when I look at the satellite lists from this site and another site as to which receiver would work for me to pick up those FTA signals in HD.

Some of the channels on the lists say MPEG-4 DVB-S2 8PSK H-264 video. Other channels only say HD.

I want to be ready for the 2011 pro football season. I am also interested in watching college football and other sport offerings. Plus any other programs that may show HD.

Are most of the FTA signals 4:2:2? If so, that might mean an AZbox? If not, would a Pansat 9200 HD with 8psk module be just fine? Or some other STB?

Do the networks broadcast in 4:2:2?

I don't have a HD television just yet. So the receiver must be able to down convert to standard definition. The HD television will be a future purchase.

What to do.....what to do.....what to do.....:eek:

Thanks.

Desert night

The openbox s9 or s10 is excellent for the money, it will do mpeg2 and mpeg4 hd and dvb-s2, but will not do 4:2:2

The azbox will do everything the openbox will do plus 4:2:2

The pansat will do exactly the same as the openbox with a dvb-s2 add on module, you don't need an 8psk module, you need a dvb-s2 module, there is a BIG difference between the two,

Good luck!

probably only one choice, today

Didn't Dish Network run Pansat out of business?
Are there any more 9200's available new anymore?
I think the choice is to buy a used one.
And considering what I've read about 'em, it'd be hard to justify against the currently priced S9/S10 units.

But since you've said you'll need 4:2:2, it's just down to a choice between the several models of AZbox.
We have a special forum department for the AZ's.
I've not kept up with all the models, but you'd want one with blind scan and continuing support.

The yet-to-be reviewed Manhattan is not a contender (no 4:2:2).
And the still-secret project by SatelliteAV isn't here ... and while I read some comments from the boss there, I still don't know if it'll do 4:2:2.

edit: Regarding HDTV sets
Get one! - :eek:

24" minimum for the bedroom, 32" makes more sense. (get 1080, not 720!)
No excuse for smaller, as good deals can be had in both sizes, so shop!

42" minimum for the living room, larger is better, no 32's!
Get one with local USB and LAN interfaces for most flexibility.
They'll do Netflix directly, and play off local hard drive or your server.

Wall mount brackets don't need to cost over $50, with tilt 'n swivel.
I got a heavy duty one at MonoPrice !

Last edited:
And the still-secret project by SatelliteAV isn't here ... and while I read some comments from the boss there, I still don't know if it'll do 4:2:2.

The last time I saw him write anything about it, he said that they gave up on 4:2:2 because they wanted to produce a cheap Ali-chipset unit... (Presumably not another 3602 chipset though!) Now he says that the next box to come out after that will do 4:2:2. He hasn't said what else the cheap box will or won't do. Gee, I thought he was supposed to be producing a cheap AZbox-killer. If we have to wait for the more expensive unit, who's to say that it won't cost as much as the forthcoming AZbox models?

Some people say that 4:2:2 is going away, but I seem to find at least one feed a day, and I'm just a Ku-band user. Since most of them are sports feeds and I'm not really into sports, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker, but like I said, he also hasn't said what other features that I'm hoping for will be in the cheap unit. For example, I'd like to be able to access my recordings over a network so I can watch throughout the house without carrying a hard drive around! (To be fair, I don't know whether this will be in the new AZboxes either, but from everything else I've read they're supposed to be a step forward, not backward.)

What to do.....what to do.....what to do.....:eek:

From your description of your needs I would go with either the new AZbox ME due to be released in two months or a PCI card for your computer and stream / share program files to your TV via LAN with a STB Media box. The AZbox ME and Mini ME release will most likely be the strongest choice for consumer STBs requiring 422 processing during the next year.

As far as the speculation as to the what, when and why of the GEOSATpro Micro HD STB, I already broke silence and said more than I should have.... The project is not top secret, just under wraps until the release....... BTW, no LAN connection on the Micro HD.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...fortec-star-mercury-ii-issue.html#post2579937

We have not "given-up" on 422, just exhausted all inexpensive hardware options for an entry level STB. Utilizing the current hardware and chipsets, the STB would need to retail in excess of $200. We do not believe that there is a significant market for this type of mid-range $$$$ STB in North America.

Last edited:
The PCI card or USB tuner solution on a computer is a viable option.
Gets by the problems of most all set top receivers.
It'll record what you want, when you want, including the highest data rate feeds, run all sorts of switches 'n motors, and decode everything that's not encrypted.
Including 4:2:2, of course.

But, you'll soon discover that it'll require a spare FTA receiver to set up your dishes 'n get 'em aligned.
A computer based system is terrible for that job.
Good news is, an inexpensive (used) Coolsat 5000 or similar at around $30-50 is fine for the task.
(not just any receiver of course, so get recommendations before you buy)

Having been badly screwed by USB and PCI tuners in the past, I am not the poster boy for 'em.
Talk to people in the PCI tuner sub-forum for ideas, if you want to go that way.
(I did get an ethernet-interfaced ATSC OTA tuner and it's outstanding, but there aren't any for FTA.) ;)

BTW, no LAN connection on the Micro HD.

We have not "given-up" on 422, just exhausted all inexpensive hardware options for an entry level STB. Utilizing the current hardware and chipsets, the STB would need to retail in excess of $200. We do not believe that there is a significant market for this type of mid-range $$$$ STB in North America.

Well for your sake I hope you're right, but whatever market DOES exist, I think by delaying your receiver you're going to lose to the Openbox, unless it has some major flaw. It would've been nice to have a powerful receiver supported in the U.S.

The pansat will do exactly the same as the openbox with a dvb-s2 add on module, you don't need an 8psk module, you need a dvb-s2 module, there is a BIG difference between the two,
What is the BIG difference between the two?

But since you've said you'll need 4:2:2, it's just down to a choice between the several models of AZbox.
We have a special forum department for the AZ's.
I've not kept up with all the models, but you'd want one with blind scan and continuing support.
I don't necessarily need 4:2:2 if I can find football games without it. But if most of the football games are FTA in 4:2:2 then I know which way to go. So, are most football games broadcast in 4:2:2?

Didn't Dish Network run Pansat out of business?
Are there any more 9200's available new anymore?
Anybody know about Pansat out of business? I thought they still might be in business? I did see NEW Pansats for sale (the new version 1226, with cooling fan, and the 8psk installed) for $299.)

Which HD receiver out there has the best written warranty and support?

42" minimum for the living room, larger is better, no 32's!
Get one with local USB and LAN interfaces for most flexibility.
Good suggestion.

The yet-to-be reviewed Manhattan is not a contender (no 4:2:2).
I read somewhere that the Manhattan is supposedly a clone of a couple of other receivers. Not a fact that I know of. A clone simply because the receiver is associated with freedbs.org.

The openbox s9 or s10 is excellent for the money, it will do mpeg2 and mpeg4 hd and dvb-s2, but will not do 4:2:2

The azbox will do everything the openbox will do plus 4:2:2

What to do....what to do...what to do....:D

Desertnight

I read somewhere that the Manhattan is supposedly a clone of a couple of other receivers. Not a fact that I know of. A clone simply because the receiver is associated with freedbs.org.
The Manhattan may have the same receiver on chip (ROC)--ALI 3602-- as the other receivers, but the power supply, memory, ports, remote control and firmware are all different. It won't run other receivers' firmware. Definitely not a clone of any other receiver. Similar capabilities due to the same ROC, though.

We have not "given-up" on 422, just exhausted all inexpensive hardware options for an entry level STB. Utilizing the current hardware and chipsets, the STB would need to retail in excess of $200. We do not believe that there is a significant market for this type of mid-range $$$$ STB in North America.[/QUOTE]

I'd buy one for 200 bucks if it was hd, dvbs2, 4:2:2, manual pids and most importantly beeped for the lnb setup signal. :)
I'd pay 300 bucks if it did DC2 also, heh. I like to dream BIG!
My Christmas bonus should cover it!
Kodaz

I still have not made a decision, but what I know now about the AZboxes (especially the Premium Plus) is that the AZ boxes seem way too complicated for me. My computer is only a P3 at 450mhz. I have dial up ($10.00 month). I just haven't made the jump to broadband/DSL. Even with the government "recovery" program about "everyone needs access to affordable high speed internet, the cost of $39.99 a month is not affordable IMHO. Comcast was offering $10.00 a month, but you have to have children in the school lunch program. Doesn't apply to me.

So, unless there is a simple AZbox which does not require a computer except for firmware downloads, this box is out of the picture.

So, still looking.

I still have not made a decision, but what I know now about the AZboxes (especially the Premium Plus) is that the AZ boxes seem way too complicated for me. My computer is only a P3 at 450mhz. I have dial up ($10.00 month). I just haven't made the jump to broadband/DSL. Even with the government "recovery" program about "everyone needs access to affordable high speed internet, the cost of $39.99 a month is not affordable IMHO. Comcast was offering $10.00 a month, but you have to have children in the school lunch program. Doesn't apply to me.

So, unless there is a simple AZbox which does not require a computer except for firmware downloads, this box is out of the picture.

So, still looking.

The Azbox can also have it's firmware updated from a usb stick, or from an attached hard drive. However, I agree that the Azbox is a little complicated. :)

Well, you've ruled out AZboxes.
You've ruled out computer-based solutions.
That pretty much rules out 4:2:2 all together.

So, are we going to go with a DVB-S2 HD receiver or give up?
The Pansat 9200 is not price-attractive ($300+?), no matter what.
The untested, unknown, Manhattan is $200. (plus shipping)
That leaves us with the S9 and S10 receivers in the $99 to $140 range, delivered.

I think that pretty well covers all the alternatives.

I'd buy one for 200 bucks if it was hd, dvbs2, 4:2:2, manual pids and most importantly beeped for the lnb setup signal. :)
I'd pay 300 bucks if it did DC2 also, heh. I like to dream BIG!
My Christmas bonus should cover it!
Kodaz[/QUOTE]

Dear KODAZ,

Throw in skew control, and you might have a deal!

Sincerely,

Gordon F. Corbett

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts