Why Do HD Ch's Annoy Me?

vinnyv07

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2004
I was watching TNTHD last night .."The Mothman Prophecies", cool HD by TNTHD. And...in the lower right hand side of the screen there is a TNT stamp. A beautiful picture ruined by a TNT logo. CBS does the same thing. Do these ch's not think that we know which ch we are watching? I cant understand why they cant flash the stamp a min before each commercial break and the min after they come back from commercial. Its actually starting to distract me. I hate to complain...but the picture is beautiful and then there's the ch logo. Does this annoy anyone else?

vinnyv07 said:
I was watching TNTHD last night .."The Mothman Prophecies", cool HD by TNTHD. And...in the lower right hand side of the screen there is a TNT stamp. A beautiful picture ruined by a TNT logo. CBS does the same thing. Do these ch's not think that we know which ch we are watching? I cant understand why they cant flash the stamp a min before each commercial break and the min after they come back from commercial. Its actually starting to distract me. I hate to complain...but the picture is beautiful and then there's the ch logo. Does this annoy anyone else?

Yes! It annoys the hell out of me. :mad:

vinnyv07 said:
ABSOLUTELY....

They do that in case you are recording the movie, so you cannot record a clean copy without the channel bug in the corner. If you really want to have a totally clean copy of the movie, they make you go out and buy the DVD.

That is just my guess. But it wouldn't surprise me.

1080iBeVuMin said:
They do that in case you are recording the movie, so you cannot record a clean copy without the channel bug in the corner. If you really want to have a totally clean copy of the movie, they make you go out and buy the DVD.

That is just my guess. But it wouldn't surprise me.
I understand that...but , why cant they just use the ch logo for a min or so before and after the station break. It seems to me that even if you were recording the program you would have the ch logo on it still and you wouldn't have a totally clean copy of the program. It just seems crazy that they have to keep it on the whole program. I'm watching ESPN HD right now and the Jets game is on. "ESPN HD" is in the lower right hand corner but it is slightly less annoying than the TNT logo. Spends is lighter and has a see through affect. Its less noticeable.

Just be grateful we're not using some kind of retinal projection display where you'll get logos burned into your retina and see "fox news" or whatever when you're awake.

i agree with you guys. the problem is compounded for those of us with large front projectors, those icons magnified. and for OTA, there is the local channel logo's

And reason is simple. ratings. If you have a rating diary and are a frequent channel surfer, they want to make sure you know what network you are watching to make sure you mark it down correctly. An incorrect entry (which did frequently happen in the past) can mean major losses of revenue when they try to sell the ratings to advertisers. Each rating points is worth X numver of dollars. And with about 1200 diaries representing the entire country, each diary becomes very very important. Like it or not, that is the price we have to pay. As someone metioned, you can always rent the DVD and burn your own clean copy of a movie. A live sporting event is another unfortunate matter.

barth2k said:
...and see "fox news"...when you're awake.
That *would* be hell!
;)

I don't mind the logos so much as the moving, sound making, large and distracting ads that FX and others like to play during shows. The effects nearly drown out the dialogue. :no

Gutter mentions ratings, and the use of a diary or log to keep track of what is being watched. I recently completed a 1-week Nielsen log. They send you a paper booklet, and $5 cash. For a week, you write down what you watch and then send them the log. This was during the week that Voom gave us the Tyson fight.

Even though some stations flash the icon, I always used the INFO button to get the channel designation. This Nielsen guide also asked questions about how many TV's you use, if you have a TV provider, cable vs. satellite, etc. For Satellite providers, the choices were DirecTV, Echostar, Voom, and Other. I thought that was interesting to see Voom as one of the choices.

And yes guys--I did my part. Only HD the whole week.

Hey how did you get into the Nielsen ratings? I want to influence, I mean participate.

Dvlos said:
Hey how did you get into the Nielsen ratings? I want to influence, I mean participate.

I'm not real sure. I guess I got selected at random. It's a lot of work for $5. You have to make a list of all available channels, and then log everything you watch for a week. Even if you flip something on for 15 minutes, they want to know. You have to list each person in the house, and specify how long each one was watching a show.

I would suspect that Nielsen probably has a website, but I've never looked for it. Maybe they have a site where you can contact them and tell them you would be interested?

Dvlos----you are hot today. I liked your diplexer correction method.

hey I thought the reason for NBC's sorry a$$ HD coverage is b/c Nielsen can't count hd. If tghey make you log in a diary, what's the problem?

vinnyv07 said:
Talk about annoying, my local PBS digital station has this huge bug identifying three channels in the lower right and the PBS HD bug upper left.
Both are on continuously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)